Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish airgun licencingl

I think this just proves we need to fight any form of air rifle licensing in the rest of the UK. Makes criminals out of law abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    I think this just proves we need to fight any form of air rifle licensing in the rest of the UK. Makes criminals out of law abiding citizens.
    Well said mate. My sentiments exactly. Sign up to oppose all new gun legislation... it can only be detrimental
    Donald

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    Hope those who voted for this govt are proud of the outcome
    Gun control means using both hands.

some may say he was not law abiding though .

He added Gear had not got round to getting a licence at the time of the offence. Subsequent attempts to secure one had, through no fault of Gear’s, failed to prove fruitful.

so he tried to license it ,but he did not succeed. so if he did not succeed he should have given it to a licensed owner or his nearest gunshop before the deadline .

from the story

Mr Allan asked if the gun could be signed over to Gear’s father, who holds a licence for air weapons, rather than have the weapon forfeited.

However, Mr MacKenzie said he was unsure what the terms of Mr Gear senior’s licence were.

“It would be difficult to sign over something which he [Gear] couldn’t lawfully hold.”

yet the airweapon.scot website states this

I have an air weapon I no longer want

If you have an air weapon you no longer want you have various options open to you. You can

sell it or give it away to another air weapon user (who must have the appropriate certificate if they are in Scotland)
    sell it to a Registered Firearms Dealer
    contact Police Scotland to arrange to hand the weapon in for secure destruction.

http://airweapon.scot/about-the-new-law/ bottom right of the page
    so who is right ?

he could have given to his father who had the relevant license or to his RFD until he got a license .

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    Hope those who voted for this govt are proud of the outcome
    Well done mate.. taxi
    Donald

was not just the SNP that wanted it though . tommy sheridan started the ball rolling i believe

http://www.scotsman.com/news/sherida...-ban-1-1342801

from his meeting with aberdeen council in 2007

Detailed comments received were:-
    • Councillor Greig:Libdem
    My reaction is to support the ban. I would also like to see a ban extended to replica guns,
    though this might not be feasible/workable. A ban often looks like an easy option but from
    what I've read this is a very welcome proposal.
    My opinion is that I support the proposed bill to limit the sale and circulation of air weapons.
    I tend to support the ban on the sale of replica guns but would need more information on
    this.
    These are views I would be contributing to a discussion with my Group and with the
    Community Safety Partnership. The policy that I would support would be subject to further
    internal discussion. I am convinced that there would be a wide range of views amongst all
    Councillors and partners.
    I want to see a safer environment and I believe that the circulation of air guns needs to be
    carefully and effectively controlled to achieve this.
    • Councillor Jaffray: SNP
    Did you know that over seven and a half years ago I put a motion to Council to see if we
    could ban air guns? Everyone was in agreement and the motion was passed to the relevant
    Committee for action. The Press "dug out" my old motion about a week ago and referred to
    it in the paper.
    The Committee agreed to give an official money to go out and buy three airguns in different
    price ranges. I did not know that guns are judged on their velocity. Having bought the
    airguns and ammunition the velocity of each gun had to be fired and tested. Aberdeen City
    Council and Grampian Police do not have the facilities to test guns, and our official had to
    take the guns on the train to Glasgow to get Strathclyde Police to test them as they have
    facilities for doing this. If the velocity of any of the guns had been too powerful then we
    could have prohibited their sale but we as a City could not have made a bylaw without taking
    it to the Scottish Parliament, so my motion was the first step.
    Unfortunately, all guns met the criteria and so we failed at that time. In the intervening years
    more people and animals have been killed and maimed with people using these airguns
    irresponsibly and I am very glad that Councillor Collie has now put a motion to Council on
    the same subject.
    • Councillor Dean: Tory
    As you will have seen from my response to Councillor Greig, I don't think it will be possible
    to reach a "Council" view on this until Councillor Collie's motion is debated by the Policy and
    Strategy Committee.
    I feel that this is much more a matter of conscience than of policy, and would be hoping that
    all Groups on the Council take this as a "free vote", with no Party influence.
    Committee Report - Motion to Ban Airguns
    ITEM
    PAGE
    • Councillor May: not sure what party .
    I know of a fellow pupil at primary school who lost an eye having been hit by an airgun
    pellet.
    I was also hit on the thigh as a young child.
    I fully support this Bill

and the one that proposed proposed it was councillor Collie .labour .

so not just SNP members in favour of a ban .

https://committees.aberdeencity.gov....o%20Adults.pdf

i bet more agreed with it also from other parties .

P.S i despise the SNP too so im not sticking up for them
    Last edited by bighit; 27-10-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    some may say he was not law abiding though .
    I was implying he was law abiding till they changed the law.

How often do we go about our general lives and then find doing so breaks laws?

I'm struggling to think of areas of our life this can happen or has happened?

I was implying he was law abiding till they changed the law.

How often do we go about our general lives and then find doing so breaks laws?

I'm struggling to think of areas of our life this can happen or has happened?
    they announced it more than 6 months before so there was time to get his license sorted out or get his rifle into the hands of some one who was licensed or the RFD to store it correct? so it was hardly an overnight incident in real terms .

another was the brocock pistols . one day they are legal like other airguns ,next day they are license only . again it was not an overnight change . there was possibly months of warning time to either apply for license or hand them in

and same with saxby and palmer airguns .

handgun ban and the semi auto ban is two others .

up here the drink drive limit . one day you could have a full pint , next day a half pint could put you over the limit . there was plenty notice given via the press at the the time .

any time a law is changed and something that was once legal then one day then the next day it becomes illegal is the same , but they don't do it overnight (unless in some certain incidents) ,they phase it in as they have done in most of the examples i have given above .

if you end up being a criminal after that date then its defendants fault as they had ample time to stay legal or make arrangements to stay legal until they sorted out their license .
    Last edited by bighit; 27-10-2017 at 11:30 PM.

I had better pay HMRC the 60p they say I owe them.
    Otherwise my door may be kicked in and I will end up in court with a massive fine.

This Country!
    And Scotland!

How many Brocock TAC pistols are out there in peoples lofts?

That wasn't advertised at all and they are treated more harshly than very high cal centre fires. You cant even sell them to another with a similar certificate so I believe.

On the upside, the English police do not seem to be stoving in peoples front doors to find them and I do not recall a case being brought for possession of a TAC pistol?

The scottish law really is up there with the fox hunting ban. It should be repealed and those with convictions - have them quashed.

This country is becoming one run by total arseholes.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

hi

if you visit Scotland for a holiday and take an air gun with you do you need a licence for it

Quote Originally Posted by clive s 400 View Post
    if you visit Scotland for a holiday and take an air gun with you do you need a licence for it
    here you go clive

Visitors to Scotland

If you’re travelling from England or Wales with an air weapon
    You will need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.

Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit using Form AWL3. Links to download the form can be found on this website.

If you’re travelling from England or Wales, and hold a valid firearm or shotgun licence
    If you are aged 14 or over and held a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales on 31 December 2016, you won’t need a separate licence to own or use air weapons while in Scotland, until your existing certificate expires. If the licence was granted or renewed on or after 31 December 2016, then you will need a visitor permit.

Visitor permits are issued by Police Scotland. You can apply for a permit using Form AWL3. Links to download the form can be found on this website.

Even if you have a valid firearm or shotgun licence, if you want to buy an air weapon in Scotland and walk out of the shop with it, then you will need a visitor permit.

If you’re travelling from Northern Ireland with an air weapon
    A Northern Ireland firearm certificate will not allow you to possess an air weapon in Scotland. Visitors will need a visitor permit to use, possess, buy or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.

If you’re travelling from outside the UK with an air weapon
    You will need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.

I want to borrow an air weapon while in Scotland, do I need a permit?
    If you will be shooting under the supervision of a licence holder, or at an approved club or other authorised venue, then you shouldn’t need a permit. However, if you will be shooting on your own then you will need a visitor permit. If in doubt you should contact Police Scotland for advice before you travel.

If you want to buy an air weapon while in Scotland
    If you want to buy an air weapon and walk out of the shop with it, then you will need a visitor permit.

You can buy an air weapon from a Registered Firearms Dealer and have the weapon sent directly to your home country without requiring a permit.

I live in England or Wales but travel to Scotland regularly, can I get an air weapon licence
    Yes - licences can be granted to people who live outside Scotland. The licence will only come into effect when the person crosses the border. You should apply to Police Scotland in the normal way.

as in red . if you have a current FAC or SGC you can use them to bring your airgun into scotland but you cant buy a new one ,buy a moderator or component parts .if you want to buy a airgun,a moderator or component parts you will need a license.

but

there is is nothing other than the licensed shooter morals to go in with their license and buy a new rifle and then give it to an unlicensed english owner no traceability you see . the rifle serial number is not noted on the license like FAC or SGC.

and no i would not buy an unlicensed person one ,im just stating the fact that there is no traceability
    Last edited by bighit; 28-10-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    How many Brocock TAC pistols are out there in peoples lofts?

That wasn't advertised at all and they are treated more harshly than very high cal centre fires. You cant even sell them to another with a similar certificate so I believe.

On the upside, the English police do not seem to be stoving in peoples front doors to find them and I do not recall a case being brought for possession of a TAC pistol?

The scottish law really is up there with the fox hunting ban. It should be repealed and those with convictions - have them quashed.

This country is becoming one run by total arseholes.

From 20 January 2004, it became an offence under the act for anyone to manufacture, sell, purchase, transfer or acquire a SCGC gun, and it was illegal to be in possession of one after 30 April 2004 unless you had a Section 1 Firearm Certificate. Penalties for non-compliance were fixed at a mandatory minimum imprisonment sentence of five years, up to a maximum of 10 years – and airgunners with air cartridge guns were left with two simple choices: surrender their kit to the police without a penny of compensation; or apply for an FAC.

3 months or so notice . i remember seeing a poster in the shop i used saying they would be put on license .

Home Office figures show failure of "Brocock Ban". BASC press release.
    Home Office figures confirm failure of Brocock ban

17th June 2004………………………………………………………immediate release.

Home Office figures have confirmed the attempt to remove self-contained gas cartridge airguns from the streets has failed. In answer to a parliamentary question, Home Office minister Caroline Flint said just over 1500 of the guns, many of which bear the trade name “Brocock”, have been surrendered to the police and less than 6000 have been registered on firearm certificates. From manufacturers’ figures, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) estimates there could be up to 68000 airguns of this type still in circulation.

Mike Eveleigh, senior firearms officer at BASC said “We have been warning the Home Office for some time that action was needed or this policy was destined to fail. We urged them to extend the deadline to either hand-in or register these guns but they refused. Now our worst fears have been confirmed – there are tens of thousands of these guns still around, and because of the heavy-handed approach of the Home Office they are likely to end up in hands of criminals. It is now essential that the Home Office makes it a policy not to prosecute for possession of one of these guns unless there is evidence of criminal intent. This would allow many of the guns to be handed in or licensed. There are many people who are still unaware of the change in the law because of a lack of publicity”.

Self-contained gas cartridge airguns are low-powered airguns which use a system where an airgun pellet and the charge of gas or air which fires it are contained in a single cartridge. They can be converted to fire live rounds, and were singled out in the Anti-Social Behaviour Act (2004). The Act made it an offence to sell or give away the guns in January, and from the 30th April it became illegal to possess one without a valid firearms certificate.

Mike Eveleigh said “There is a minimum five year prison sentence for possession of this type of airgun. Before the Act they were available for sale over the counter with no registration. In themselves they are not dangerous, but there is a potential for conversion to fire live ammunition. So the Home Office has succeeded only in creating a huge stockpile of illegal guns. It is time this was put right.” ENDS.

NOTE TO EDITORS: In answer to a question in parliament, Caroline Flint confirmed that 1,524 self-contained gas cartridge airguns have been surrendered, and 5,791 entered on firearm certificates. See Hansard
    For more details call the press office on 01244 573031.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ownership.html

and this 65 year must have known they were banned .if not then why did he ask his wife to hide it in her 98 year old mothers house ?http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...me_avoid_jail/

and im sure pretty much most of the papers ran a story about the imminent ban also.

yes they maybe did not go as far as the scottish government did with posters on busses and full page ads in the newspapers ,they did not just do it overnight with no warning .

and we do not know why the police kicked in the door of the guy in shetland . it may not have been for the rifle at all.it may have just been a result as they never found the thing they went looking for
    Last edited by bighit; 28-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.

This nonsense demonstrates why we should have one UK Parliament, no devolved administrations, and the legal system should be homogenised across the whole UK.

from the SAC's december update

There were, on 24 October 2017, 18,925 Air Weapon Certificates (AWCs) on
    issue in Scotland. This includes individual AWC and those issued to existing
    FAC and SGC certificate holders. It will be a least four and a half years, i.e. a
    full cycle, before the final statistics are known, due to the ability to hold air
    weapons whilst a FAC or SGC holder. SACS continues to guide airgunners in
    regard to airgun licensing.