Thread: BSA Merlin paint finish?

BSA Merlin paint finish?

Were all BSA Merlin's painted?

I had one years ago which definitely was painted. All the ones on google images look painted. I picked one up the other week with a blued finish. A rather poor blued finish but it is 55 years old so may well be original. Wondered if it was likely to be a DIY job at some point in its life

I love these guns by the way. The build quality is absolute cr@p but they're just a joy to shoot

Cheers
    Greg

I have 2 very nice ones (one boxed and near enough mint) and a third one which I was screwed on (but that's another story!).

All three have painted, rather than blued, barrels.

Like you, I just love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Were all BSA Merlin's painted?

I had one years ago which definitely was painted. All the ones on google images look painted. I picked one up the other week with a blued finish. A rather poor blued finish but it is 55 years old so may well be original. Wondered if it was likely to be a DIY job at some point in its life

I love these guns by the way. The build quality is absolute cr@p but they're just a joy to shoot

Cheers
    Greg
    Was this the one at our recent Airgun Fair (of 14th Oct). ? I saw a blued one there and checked with mine when I go home which was painted.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    I have 2 very nice ones (one boxed and near enough mint) and a third one which I was screwed on (but that's another story!).

All three have painted, rather than blued, barrels.

Like you, I just love 'em.
    The last time I was in Pickering Airguns, just up the road from you, they had a minter in.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Was this the one at our recent Airgun Fair (of 14th Oct). ? I saw a blued one there and checked with mine when I go home which was painted.

ATB
    Ian
    Yes! That's the one. I was instantly gripped by nostalgia and had to have it. It's now coupled with a small period BSA Jap scope and shoots very nicely

I've had the stock off and the finish is pretty consistent everywhere. There's no trace of paint ever being there.

Cheers
    Greg

I've only seen a few in my life but they've all been painted. There is always a possibility that the first batch were blued and I've only seen examples of later ones.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!