Thread: “0” ring lube

“0” ring lube

What is the best lube for threads and “0” rings for pistol air cylinders and fillers please? I think I used to use a white moly grease but can’t seem to lay my hands on it.
    I don’t want to use the wrong lube and destroy the rings
    Regards,
    Eric.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I thought that Moly was black?

Anyway the best lube for o rings is silicone grease - also will not diesel. Not so good on metal to metal contact and really not good on Aluminium.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I thought that Moly was black?

Anyway the best lube for o rings is silicone grease - also will not diesel. Not so good on metal to metal contact and really not good on Aluminium.
    It was white and I’m sure it was some sort of Moly grease and was pretty pricey.....I may find it when I have a clear out in my garage.
    What I need has to be good on ally cylinder threads and the rings and I’m sure the stuff I had was suitable.....damn my ancient brain cells!

Eric.

Eric,

The most commonly mentioned greases for O-rings are silicone based, and e.g. the Molykote greases.

These greases do not contain moly (molybdenum disulphide) - they are silicone greases thickened with a lithium soap or fumed silica.

Suitable grades are e.g. Molykote 55 :

http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...?prod=01889826

I have also found that Krytox oils & greases have worked well for me with O-rings :

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en...e_K22119_1.pdf

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply Russ, it’s much appreciated!
    Looking at your links I’m pretty sure it was the Molykote 55 I had but looks as if they have a shelf life and if I find the tube I think I’d had it for at least 10 years so maybe I’d better purchase a new tube.
    Thanks again,

Eric.

Interesting, I’ve just been googling and the Steyr Sport LG 100/110 major service kit comes with Molykote 33M grease.

Eric.

Eric,

If you PM me your address I can send you some Molykote 33M.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

That’s exceedingly generous of you Russ!
    PM on the way.

Eric.

Liquid Gold?

I have been using the ubiquitous Feinwerkbau grease on cylinder threads and "O" rings with total success for many years.

I always smear a tiny amount on the breach seal of every new match air rifle and pistol that I have bought and just keep it looking slightly "wet" by topping it up every 6 months or so ( depending on the amount of use).

I always smear some of this grease on the threads of my air cylinders and changing adaptors as well as the cylinder seal to keep them moving freely and well lubricated too.

It is very expensive for such a small tube, but you use so little of it at a time a tube can last for years.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Another vote for the FWB Special grease.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Krytox GPL205. i use this on Steyr o rings. Not cheap mind but lasts forever.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Lupus

I use German Lupus PTFE based grease, I was given it by a Walther tech, its a tiny tub like a pill box, and as a clue to how sparingly to use it, mine is hardly touched and its priced in D marks! You can still get it.

Have Fun
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?