Thread: Steyr Hunting 5 pellet test

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As was I, they're one of the lowest quality pellets on the test.
    Weights are all over the place, as are sizes.

Cant argue with the results though. Since then I've run about 3500 though in plinking sessions.
    Can't beat shredding tins & bottles with rapid fire then settling in for a few more 'serious' shots with a better pellet.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    did you allow the pellets to bed in with a few (how many) test shots when changing ? Or clean barrel between pellets ?

I found many guns (well, my springers) need at least a dozen or so shots to settle when changing pellets...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I think it was a single pull though with a couple of Napier patches and a spot of vp90? between each mag.
    I don't recall there being much to clean so they should all have a pretty equal footing.

Agreed some will likely bed in happily, but I was seeking a generally good pellet. I'm no FT expert, I shoot purely non-competitively for my own pleasure. This mainly serves as a good starting point and also a solid comparison to throw out those pellets which are hopeless in this rifle.

Given time and inclination I'm sure i could take the top 5 contenders and run 50 rounds of each with a fresh charge between to see how they do. This will at least give an idea of a shortlist to work with.

For me i got my preferred every day pellet (AccuPel) and my plinking session round (wasps), and the knowledge that lead free is a spectacular waste of money.