Thread: Ken Turner Pump Up Valuation

Ken Turner Pump Up Valuation

I am the proud owner of a hand made, unique, one-off Ken Turner (Air Arms Designer/Consultant) Pump Up air rifle made by Ken in 1982 as described in this Airgun World article from the 1980ís:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhvib97m96...urner.pdf?dl=0

This gun has been used by Ken for one FT season and then Derek Peckover (Nockover Targets) bought it and owned it until a couple of years ago, and thatís when I got it.

Here are some pictures of the gun:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug6r58egsq...15307.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/frzfhieh3j...15315.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvyn367y27...15322.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzh8uggify...15346.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1we2g0wnhr...15413.jpg?dl=0

I have a box of spares, drawings and letters from Ken, so have some history to it, apparently it was also blued by John Whiscombe, itís in Ďsilverí in the original magazine review.

It's in very good used condition. .22, consistent and doing around 10.5ftlbs with only 6 pumps.

Now what do you guys reckon this gun is worth?

Thanks!

about a ton mate.. meet up or post ?

Have to say the engineering on this is loverly - the waythe sidlever that operates the bolt lines up so ridiculously perfectly with the side of the block, for a start...
    I'm currently looking for: a .22 / .20 Theoben gasram barrel, at least 10" long (not a fenman barrel). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    about a ton mate.. meet up or post ?
    Alright then Jon, and 700 notes for special delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Have to say the engineering on this is loverly - the waythe sidlever that operates the bolt lines up so ridiculously perfectly with the side of the block, for a start...
    It's very well made, tolerances are perfect, even the German match guns don't come close, you have seen it in the flesh and shot it at the Bash...

I'd keep it, but have found another Whiscombe and am tempted

Ken turner pump up

Is the front sling swivel screwed into the air cylinder?
    When was the air cylinder last pressure tested?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Is the front sling swivel screwed into the air cylinder?
    When was the air cylinder last pressure tested?
    Thanks
    Never heard of a pump up rifle needing a pressure test. It either pumps air into the valve chamber or leaks by the pump head, no danger involved. The sling swivel is at the opposite end of the pump where there is no air pressure.

Baz
    HONORARY SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZEN

Baz has already answered (thanks Baz!) and is spot on, but to add to it, the sling swivel is not screwed but brazed on and very nice job it is too!

No idea, but wow....
    Wonky Donk'd TX200's

: Ken Turner Pump Up Valuation

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Alright then Jon, and 700 notes for special delivery?

It's very well made, tolerances are perfect, even the German match guns don't come close, you have seen it in the flesh and shot it at the Bash...

I'd keep it, but have found another Whiscombe and am tempted
    So I guess £800 is what you want for it? do I win a prize?

If you commissioned someone to make a replica what would that cost? Then take off a 1/3 as its a labour of love. But then add:
    Add some provenance to the Ken Turner story and his influence to air rifle history and that adds some more.
    Add his input and any writing he did for air rifle publications which then that adds more to the overall history.

What then price premium? Depends on what collectors put on it all.

My gut feeling with no rhyme or reason is £900-£1,200. But if someone was to part with £2k then I wouldn't be surprised either. The base price is quality of build and that it shoots well, but then I haven't touched it just taken from your pictures. It looks interesting enough and Ken was well respected, so it should demand good money.

Iíd go along with £1k +
    Itís a beautiful little rifle and having shot it, Iím trying to convince myself that I donít need it.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Thank you all for your input. I had it out of the cabinet at the weekend, and still am unsure if I can part with it!

It took me ages to find it while searching for a Stainless Steel Ken Turner gun (for which I am still looking by the way !).

Now, I am looking at buying couple more rifles, so really need the space...
    Last edited by nurek; 20-11-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Check out TerryD's article in this month's AGW about the late Bill Sanders' collection, including two Ken Turner stainless rifles: a proto-TX and a proto-PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Check out TerryD's article in this month's AGW about the late Bill Sanders' collection, including two Ken Turner stainless rifles: a proto-TX and a proto-PS.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out. I have seen these guns in the flesh too and shot the PS

The prototype TX is actually a HW77 replica... it has the offset transfer port just like the 77 which I thought was interesting when I saw it as the TX has a central transfer port.

Hsing-ee is offline I don't have the slightest association with the lingerie industry
    Keep it, possibly the most elegant and well-engineered pump gun ever made.