Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what was the Best Break Barrel Air Rifle Out of the Box ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I think we lost the original Thread in the changeover.
    It was ( and still is ) always the Walther LGV

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    And that's "out of the box" is it?

To be fair, early ones rocked!
    Fair enough not out the box but they can tune up satisfactorily.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    And that's "out of the box" is it?

To be fair, early ones rocked!
    That's what i said in the original thread . out of the box from bsa or out the box after the tuning company has done their bit ?

its still out of the box unless SFS or the other shops don't give you the box that is

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The oval pistons in Diana's
    Just wondering if you have any evidence of oval pistons

Here is a pic of a out of the box Diana piston and it looks round to me, the guide is precision made so that is round and look how central the piston rod is
    https://imgur.com/fG5JH0E

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

Here is a pic of a out of the box Diana piston and it looks round to me, the guide is precision made so that is round and look how central the piston rod is
    You need to read up on some of Bigtoe's findings, the 280 I bought off of him had had the piston sorted as the end of the where the piston head is crimped to the main body it flares it out and it needs them bits filing down.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post

It was ( and still is ) always the Walther LGV
    ... and continuing the shout-out from the Walther camp, having as I do, a Walther Centenary .177 which I simply adore, as the LGV is newer and allegedly better (?), it truly must be an AWSOME piece of kit fresh from the box.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    You need to read up on some of Bigtoe's findings, the 280 I bought off of him had had the piston sorted as the end of the where the piston head is crimped to the main body it flares it out and it needs them bits filing down.

Pete
    Dont forget the 280 is a budget gun and not sure if it was aimed at us die hard airgun enthusiasts LOL.

Absolutely I have Barry.
    Both the 280 I have here and the 52 I sold recently were oval where the fitting for the piston seal was pressed on. I dont think this is any secret. Tony Leach also reported this on his airguntech blog for his 280 tune. It can be dressed off to round but its bloody hard stuff.

On your pic, its where the crimps are. Both mine were very out of round. Have you read that blog of Tony's ?
    B.A.S.C. member

Absolutely I have Barry.
    Both the 280 I have here and the 52 I sold recently were oval where the fitting for the piston seal was pressed on. I dont think this is any secret. Tony Leach also reported this on his airguntech blog for his 280 tune. It can be dressed off to round but its bloody hard stuff.

On your pic, its where the crimps are. Both mine were very out of round. Have you read that blog of Tony's ?
    Im not sure what to say because your experience is different to mine, do you have any pics to back up what you are saying?

Absolutely I have Barry.

The 280 you talk of is the rifle I bought off of Tony a few years ago, the link to the piston problem is below.

http://www.airguntech.com/?p=214

I also did the same with the T06 piston I received in my T06 conversion kit that is fitted to my early 34.

Pete

It would be an air arms if they did one

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I was edging towards the Walther as I've never had one really and almost bought an LGV, second hand a few months ago at my local club.
    I did once try the early model in .177 at the Midland just before they were released courtsey of Terry D and was very impressed with how it performed !

I forget the name of the rifle, it was the one without the cocking aid/false moddy and had open sights ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I was edging towards the Walther as I've never had one really and almost bought an LGV, second hand a few months ago at my local club.
    I did once try the early model in .177 at the Midland just before they were released courtsey of Terry D and was very impressed with how it performed !

I forget the name of the rifle, it was the one without the cocking aid/false moddy and had open sights ?
    Just remembered ;
    The LGV Master !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    The 280 you talk of is the rifle I bought off of Tony a few years ago, the link to the piston problem is below.

http://www.airguntech.com/?p=214

I also did the same with the T06 piston I received in my T06 conversion kit that is fitted to my early 34.

Pete
    I have not owned a 280 so I can't comment with any experence.

My 34 is a T01 Have a look at the different pistons
    https://imgur.com/MiwqeRR

I have not owned a 280 so I can't comment with any experence.

My 34 is a T01 Have a look at the different pistons
    https://imgur.com/MiwqeRR
    I'd say it's that old saying "they don't make things like they used to", everything is made down to cost nowadays, so I expect the earlier pistons where made from better materials and given more time to finish them.

Pete