Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
A baffling number of variants. Especially as some were marked as Dianas, some as Originals, and some as RWS.

Some of this is down to different importers in different markets. In the UK early on some Diana 34s (and 52s) were "Firebirds", which basically meant they had a little medallion on the bottom of the grip. The 34SM I think was a UK-only model for RUAG.

In Pakistan, the base 34 is sold as a 35, for some reason.

In addition, the first production models of the 34 (early 1984) had a slightly shorter cylinder than all the later ones, scope grooves (not the raised rail) and a simple rather crude trigger.

In the 'States, there was a 34N with Matt nickel finished action. And a black epoxy finished stock 34BC, which I think may have been the same as the 34 Black sold in the UK.

On the 34/36/38 differences, originally they were clear: 34 simple wood stock; 36 same profile but nicer finish, grip cap, recoil pad; 38 different stock resembling the 48/52. But subsequently you can find 34s that look like 36s, 38s that look like 36s, and the 34SM (IIRC) has a stock more like that of the 38. This may all be down to different importers creating different specs from the same lot of available parts. Some may even be Diana using up overstocks of actions or stocks to get guns out of the door.
Yes I have heard that the early ones had a shorter stroke, would you know what it is?
The T01 34's have a longer stroke than the later ones but that is just the piston.