Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many different versions of the Diana 34 are there? any other airgun had more ?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

How many different versions of the Diana 34 are there? any other airgun had more ?

There has been so many versions of the 34, even the new N-TEC 340 is basicly a 34.

Here are just a few please add any rare versions.

34 firebird

34 black

34 all weather
    http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...D305827632CCE0

34 premium
    http://www.mcavoyguns.co.uk/contents...prem_gross.jpg

34 classic
    https://images.airgundepot.com/ay/ai...el-34-22-6.gif

34 anniversary
    https://www.dlairgun.com/airgun-imag...nniversary.jpg

These are all 34s
    https://imgur.com/RS9XT7r

Who can remember the 34. S. M.

It just goes on and on, has there ever been a more popular quality airgun

If you're counting the 340 N-TEC then you must count the 31 models which are basically the 34
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    If you're counting the 340 N-TEC then you must count the 31 models which are basically the 34
    Yes, I have lost count of how many versions.

How many different versions of the Diana 34 are there? any other airgun had more ?

diana mod 34 professional,with a matt finish to the metal work

The SM was one of the more deluxe 34's that came in a kit with scope, case and with a large moderator.
    RWS 34
    S carbines.
    Sport 1000 in various stock colours
    Even the Original / Diana 34 went through variations of cylinder, trigger, stock, fittings in the space of just a few years.
    The 36 and 38 should also be included.
    One thing that always beat me is why did the 36 and 38 remain after the 34 gained a more deluxe spec? Some 34's look exactly like 38's.
    Last edited by Drew451; 12-11-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    The SM was one of the more deluxe 34's that came in a kit with scope, case and with a large moderator.
    RWS 34
    S carbines.
    Sport 1000 in various stock colours
    Even the Original / Diana 34 went through variations of cylinder, trigger, stock, fittings in the space of just a few years.
    The 36 and 38 should also be included.
    One thing that always beat me is why did the 36 and 38 remain after the 34 gained a more deluxe spec? Some 34's look exactly like 38's.
    Always wanted to get hold of one of these. Mind you the moderator was outrageous!

One of the more recent incarnations of the gun must be the 35 commemorative. Yep, its actually a 34 dressed up to commemorate the long running model 35.
    Dave

A baffling number of variants. Especially as some were marked as Dianas, some as Originals, and some as RWS.

Some of this is down to different importers in different markets. In the UK early on some Diana 34s (and 52s) were "Firebirds", which basically meant they had a little medallion on the bottom of the grip. The 34SM I think was a UK-only model for RUAG.

In Pakistan, the base 34 is sold as a 35, for some reason.

In addition, the first production models of the 34 (early 1984) had a slightly shorter cylinder than all the later ones, scope grooves (not the raised rail) and a simple rather crude trigger.

In the 'States, there was a 34N with Matt nickel finished action. And a black epoxy finished stock 34BC, which I think may have been the same as the 34 Black sold in the UK.

On the 34/36/38 differences, originally they were clear: 34 simple wood stock; 36 same profile but nicer finish, grip cap, recoil pad; 38 different stock resembling the 48/52. But subsequently you can find 34s that look like 36s, 38s that look like 36s, and the 34SM (IIRC) has a stock more like that of the 38. This may all be down to different importers creating different specs from the same lot of available parts. Some may even be Diana using up overstocks of actions or stocks to get guns out of the door.

Another rare version, the 34 sport.

https://imgur.com/Jyi2gkM

Thats a good summary. I read recently, that there were Diana's, RWS' and Originals coming in to the UK at the same time. I think you are correct that each importer specced their imports differently.
    It maybe just me but I think "Original" was best. There's no good reason for this other than the fact that they had their heyday here under that brand name. When that name went, the guns faded into the background a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

I thought these were the Sport 1000 that I mentioned. Not sure where I got the 1000 from, though.

There were Sport 1000's. The coloured stock models were known as such in some markets at least. Always thought I could just about get away with a black version.
    Last edited by Drew451; 12-11-2017 at 01:29 PM.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Here's a comment no one would ever expect me to say but doesn't the HW35 have a shit load of different types?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    A baffling number of variants. Especially as some were marked as Dianas, some as Originals, and some as RWS.

Some of this is down to different importers in different markets. In the UK early on some Diana 34s (and 52s) were "Firebirds", which basically meant they had a little medallion on the bottom of the grip. The 34SM I think was a UK-only model for RUAG.

In addition, the first production models of the 34 (early 1984) had a slightly shorter cylinder than all the later ones, scope grooves (not the raised rail) and a simple rather crude trigger.

In the 'States, there was a 34N with Matt nickel finished action. And a black epoxy finished stock 34BC, which I think may have been the same as the 34 Black sold in the UK.

On the 34/36/38 differences, originally they were clear: 34 simple wood stock; 36 same profile but nicer finish, grip cap, recoil pad; 38 different stock resembling the 48/52. But subsequently you can find 34s that look like 36s, 38s that look like 36s, and the 34SM (IIRC) has a stock more like that of the 38. This may all be down to different importers creating different specs from the same lot of available parts. Some may even be Diana using up overstocks of actions or stocks to get guns out of the door.
    Yes I have heard that the early ones had a shorter stroke, would you know what it is?
    The T01 34's have a longer stroke than the later ones but that is just the piston.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Thats a good potted history. I also.seem to recall.back.in.the days of its predecessor the '45 there was also Dianas marketed with a company called Gecado. Whether that was done and dusted before the 34 came along I'm not sure but come to.think of it I've never seen a Gecado 45 let alone a 34 so maybe.I just dreamt that one up? Must be pretty rare beasts.
    Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 12-11-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

You'd really melt into the background taking one of those hunting wouldn't you
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Thats a good potted history. I also.seem to recall.back.in.the days of its predecessor the '45 there was also Dianas marketed with a company called Gecado. Whether that done was done and dusted before the 34 came along I'm not sure but come to.think of it I've never seen a Gecado 45 let alone a 34 so maybe.I just dreamt that one up? Must be pretty rare beasts.
    Dave
    Gecado was a trade mark used by M&G mostly in the British Commonwealth in the 60s and 70s. It's not uncommon to find Gecado armed model 50 under-levers, for example. Before the 34 era, Dianas were sold in the US under various brand names: Diana, Original, Geco, Peerless, Beeman, Hy-Score, Winchester and Crosman.

As one of the images linked in Barry's original (no pun intended) post reminds me, one of the odder 34 variants was a "45" which was simply a 34 action in a vaguely 45-style stock. As opposed to the RWS45/Crosman 6100, which was a genuine 45 action in what was basically a 35 stock.