Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many different versions of the Diana 34 are there? any other airgun had more ?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Yes I have heard that the early ones had a shorter stroke, would you know what it is?
    The T01 34's have a longer stroke than the later ones but that is just the piston.
    Not 100% sure, but I think the short tube is about half an inch shorter.

IIRC, that gave 28x77mm bore x stroke, so the same as an FWB Sport (though the Sport has a more efficient transfer post, which may be why Diana needed to add more stroke to match or beat the FWB's power level).

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Thats a good potted history. I also.seem to recall.back.in.the days of its predecessor the '45 there was also Dianas marketed with a company called Gecado. Whether that was done and dusted before the 34 came along I'm not sure but come to.think of it I've never seen a Gecado 45 let alone a 34 so maybe.I just dreamt that one up? Must be pretty rare beasts.
    Dave
    I have a Gecado 45 dated 1982. It has the later, more rounded stock but is pure 45. Shoots well but needs some cosmetic attention.
    South Africa got Gecados as well.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Not 100% sure, but I think the short tube is about half an inch shorter.

IIRC, that gave 28x77mm bore x stroke, so the same as an FWB Sport (though the Sport has a more efficient transfer post, which may be why Diana needed to add more stroke to match or beat the FWB's power level).
    It sounds like the stroke was about the same as the original 45 and that had more power than the FWB even though it had the same TP as the 34.

Gecado was a trade mark used by M&G mostly in the British Commonwealth in the 60s and 70s. It's not uncommon to find Gecado armed model 50 under-levers, for example. Before the 34 era, Dianas were sold in the US under various brand names: Diana, Original, Geco, Peerless, Beeman, Hy-Score, Winchester and Crosman.

As one of the images linked in Barry's original (no pun intended) post reminds me, one of the odder 34 variants was a "45" which was simply a 34 action in a vaguely 45-style stock. As opposed to the RWS45/Crosman 6100, which was a genuine 45 action in what was basically a 35 stock.
    Good levels of Diana anorak as always, Geezer. For my own part, the name that intrigues me most is Condor. I know there were at least a couple of models, 226 & 228, based in the old Diana 25 and 27. They were available here briefly, but I dont know much about the whole Condor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I have a Gecado 45 dated 1982. It has the later, more rounded stock but is pure 45. Shoots well but needs some cosmetic attention.
    South Africa got Gecados as well.
    That's an interesting gun? I wonder what the story is (it ending up on our shores)??
    Much of what has been put here in this thread sums up some if the reasons I like the marque. It has a rich varied history. The fact that Diana dropped the cross pin arrangement of the 45, changed it into what was basically a 34 and continued to call it a 45. Imaginative
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I thought these were the Sport 1000 that I mentioned. Not sure where I got the 1000 from, though.

There were Sport 1000's. The coloured stock models were known as such in some markets at least. Always thought I could just about get away with a black version.
    That's right the Sport 1000's were simply 34's with coloured stocks out around 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Here's a comment no one would ever expect me to say but doesn't the HW35 have a shit load of different types?

Pete
    They have plenty of different versions but the 34 has many more & would be a collectors nightmare to get them all.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    They have plenty of different versions but the 34 has many more & would be a collectors nightmare to get them all.
    The HW35 might run the D34 fairly close if you covered all the variations: early "swallow" marked, pre-Rekord, no safety, single-side safety, later safety, leather and synthetic heads, Luxus, E, EB, green (was that the Safari?), thumbhole, K, tyro (if any?), Hoffman, ether-injection, Normay versions, Venom versions, Burgo-marked ones.

But, I agree, if we are talking distinct factory models identified by the factory as such, I think the 34 action is the most prolifically "varianted" (I invented a word) one that I can think of.

The HW35 might run the D34 fairly close if you covered all the variations: early "swallow" marked, pre-Rekord, no safety, single-side safety, later safety, leather and synthetic heads, Luxus, E, EB, green (was that the Safari?), thumbhole, K, tyro (if any?), Hoffman, ether-injection, Normay versions, Venom versions, Burgo-marked ones.

But, I agree, if we are talking distinct factory models identified by the factory as such, I think the 34 action is the most prolifically "varianted" (I invented a word) one that I can think of.
    Its close agreed & if you stuck to model name only the 35 may well have more as its always been a HW35 which ever version you use, you forgot the KLS & Jubilee,black,SE & the elegant Export.

Yes the Safari was green with black parkerised action.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Its close agreed & if you stuck to model name only the 35 may well have more as its always been a HW35 which ever version you use, you forgot the KLS & Jubilee,black,SE & the elegant Export.

Yes the Safari was green with black parkerised action.
    I could in theory also chuck the BSA Airsporter into the mix, I'm not sure if there is more versions compared to the 34 but if you look at the 34's (I'm going to ignore the 35, 36 and 38 models as we should be concentrating on just the 34's) a lot of the later models just had a different stock on them, granted there has been three different triggers over the years, now if you look at the Airsporters each MK has been slightly different than the previous one, so if you say you start with the mk1 to the mk7 and then the RB2, three versions of the 'S' model (different underlevers and tap loading area and the very later models had a deluxe beech stock instead of walnut), carbine version in standard and 'S', two (may be even three) versions of the Stutzen (tap loader and RB2 but can't remember if earlier versions had different underlevers?) the Centenary model, the very early 'club' version and a very elusive 'crown grade' model that was made for the U.S. market that had a laminated stock (not a lot of people know about that one), plus I've read of transitional models between the earlier Mk's, I think I've named them all but there's always one that I forget about.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I could in theory also chuck the BSA Airsporter into the mix, I'm not sure if there is more versions compared to the 34 but if you look at the 34's (I'm going to ignore the 35, 36 and 38 models as we should be concentrating on just the 34's) a lot of the later models just had a different stock on them, granted there has been three different triggers over the years, now if you look at the Airsporters each MK has been slightly different than the previous one, so if you say you start with the mk1 to the mk7 and then the RB2, three versions of the 'S' model (different underlevers and tap loading area and the very later models had a deluxe beech stock instead of walnut), carbine version in standard and 'S', two (may be even three) versions of the Stutzen (tap loader and RB2 but can't remember if earlier versions had different underlevers?) the Centenary model, the very early 'club' version and a very elusive 'crown grade' model that was made for the U.S. market that had a laminated stock (not a lot of people know about that one), plus I've read of transitional models between the earlier Mk's, I think I've named them all but there's always one that I forget about.

Pete
    Hi Pete,
    What I mean by a 34 is the same action that started with the T01 right up to the N-tec, it's the same action just different modular triggers apart from the piston in the N-TEC.
    The only difference in the actions is what number is on them.
    You can't really say that about the MK1 airsporter compared to the mk 7

Hi Pete,
    What I mean by a 34 is the same action that started with the T01 right up to the N-tec, it's the same action just different modular triggers apart from the piston in the N-TEC.
    The only difference in the actions is what number is on them.
    You can't really say that about the MK1 airsporter compared to the mk 7
    So basically all they've done over the years is change the stocks (and upgrade the triggers), Gamo seem to do the same but they actually rename it, same old action but different stocks.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

So basically all they've done over the years is change the stocks (and upgrade the triggers), Gamo seem to do the same but they actually rename it, same old action but different stocks.

Pete
    Yes thats right but what more could they do, if it aint broke dont fix it
    Just compare the breech area with more modern break barrels

https://imgur.com/beFuSK8

And look at the simplicity/quality and robustness of the action

https://imgur.com/njCc0Vv

And what it can look like in the right stock
    https://imgur.com/c3loRE6

https://imgur.com/PNwWBOs

Also look at the performance after a little tuning from SFS

Yes thats right but what more could they do, if it aint broke dont fix it
    Just compare the breech area with more modern break barrels

https://imgur.com/beFuSK8

And look at the simplicity/quality and robustness of the action

https://imgur.com/njCc0Vv

And what it can look like in the right stock
    https://imgur.com/c3loRE6

https://imgur.com/PNwWBOs

Also look at the performance after a little tuning from SFS
    You bloody tease, you know I want a 34 Anniversary model and you got to go and show me those two

Pete

But it still has that angled breach that chops some pellet skirts.