Thread: Which scope??

Which scope??

Its time to purchase a new scope or two and just wondered what people here would recommend. I'm looking for general target shooting and plinking etc. Not looking for anything too expensive, probably up to £80.00 a piece. I'm not bothered about illuminated and fandango stuff, I'm looking for basic clarity and quality for the money. wondering about the Hawke Vantage. Thanks
    Last edited by MikeHW45; 12-11-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Anyone??

Mike, have a look at the Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 AO with AMX ret. Nick had one at the bash and I have just bought one secondhand and about the money your looking at, if bought second hand. They look a great scope for the money.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I saw this earlier and didn't respond for a few reasons. The scope above is great, but maybe a bit fussy in the ret. If you go £100-120 secondhand you will get into a whole new strata of clarity. The main thing is try them all first. As with binoculars, a scope that is great in my eyes may be poor for yours.

Scopes are a very personal choice, like butlers or mistresses.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Cheers chaps, Having had a look at a few I reckon I will spend a bit more and just buy one for the moment. I like the idea of the 2-7 x 32.
    Last edited by MikeHW45; 12-11-2017 at 06:16 PM.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    All my scopes are around that size, the Airmax is great, the Redfield Revolution and Bushnell are better, but the Leupold is best. For targets only (or if you're cleverererer than me) I would say the Airmax is hard to beat for the money.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Also check out the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 mate, bloody excellent, approx £100 second hand.If your lucky, a tad cheaper.

I think I may have been blinkered in the past by size of scope. I'm asking the question because when I bought my TX200 I bought a Nikko Stirling cheap 4 - 12 x 50 with it and although functional the clarity is not great as you can probably imagine. I have a few nice rifles that i've accumulated over the years but always been a tight wad with optics as I've only really messed around plinking in the back garden. Having been to the boinger bash I've realised my airgun knowledge is seriously limited in comparison to a lot if not most of the guys on here. I would now like to do some club shooting and obviously attend the boinger bash again so feel the necessity for a decent scope.

I've been shooting for nearly 30 years mate and my scopes have always been at the cheap end, there ok and functional. But over the last year or so I've started to acquire better glass, buy second hand and you can get some great optics for not a lot of money.
    Edit, big is not always best, in scopes anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I like the idea of the 2-7 x 32.
    Worth a look...

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...-38-mount.html

Cheers, I think next weekend I'm going to have a ride out to a few gun shops on the motorbike and have a look at a few in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    Its time to purchase a new scope or two and just wondered what people here would recommend. I'm looking for general target shooting and plinking etc. Not looking for anything too expensive, probably up to £80.00 a piece. I'm not bothered about illuminated and fandango stuff, I'm looking for basic clarity and quality for the money. wondering about the Hawke Vantage. Thanks
    Just to go back to your opening post: I recently replaced the scope on my HW77 with a new Hawke Vantage 4-12 x 40 AO. It has a basic mildot non illuminated reticule and no fandango stuff. The basic clarity and quality is at least a match for my more expensive Vantage 3-12 x 44sf model.
    I use it for target shooting up to 50 metres in the garden and general plinking/pest control for which I find it very suitable
    It was supplied for £68.00 delivered, so fits nicely into your budget.
    I have Hawke's guarantee and no complaints to date.
    Hope that is of some interest.
    Last edited by Scubashot; 12-11-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubashot View Post
    Just to go back to your opening post: I recently replaced the scope on my HW77 with a new Hawke Vantage 4-12 x 40 AO. It has a basic mildot non illuminated reticule and no fandango stuff. The basic clarity and quality is at least a match for my more expensive Vantage 3-12 x 44sf model.
    I use it for target shooting up to 50 metres in the garden and general plinking/pest control for which I find it very suitable
    It was supplied for £68.00 delivered, so fits nicely into your budget.
    I have Hawke's guarantee and no complaints to date.
    Hope that is of some interest.
    I ended up going for a Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40, again no fandango bits and bobs, just a basic quality scope on a budget. Cheers

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    My favourite at the moment is the Bushnell 3200 10x40. The little Weaver 3.5 x 10 is a good buy if you can find one

Pete
    Pete