Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good Old Eley Wasp Pellets

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep

The Good Old Eley Wasp Pellets

Hi all just been searching the web trying to find out the year that Bisley took over from Eley making the wasp pellets i can not find anything to say when it was, Has any of you any idea please
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

Eley Wasps were going downhill fast by the early '90s, but I've no idea when the barcoded Bisley version made an appearance...

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Eley Wasps were going downhill fast by the early '90s, but I've no idea when the barcoded Bisley version made an appearance...
    Hi rabbit wrecker thank you for your reply i collect old pellets and have a few eley wasp tins that vary somewhat but i picked a few full tins up last week that are totally different no bar coding on the tin and just the same as the eley wasp,s but no ref to eley on the tin just wasp and the pellets look just like the old quality wasps and not like the new bisley rubbish ones the tins have a price label on them for £4.80 so it could be that bisley may have still been using up the old stock pile of the eley wasp pellets in these tins i wonder???
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

I just found the receipt for a .22 Lightning I got in 1989, I ordered 10000 Wasps to go with it. When they turned up they were the Bisley ones. I've still got a couple of tins left, I just use them for running in springers after a major service. You can put them in backwards & get an almost acceptable group for rat shooting at 10yds, about the same as putting them in forwards in fact.
    So there's your answer, late 1989.

Ive still got a tin of 22 wasp £2.80, oh the memories.

Strange as it may seem, the new barcoded red .177 Wasps perform very well in both the 99s and 30s...

Mmmm...at least the screw top Wasp tins ooze quality compared to the likes of the fragile fall-off lid Suprdome tins - why an expensive quality pellet in a crap tin is beyond me?

However, the last batch of Wasps I bought were not that bad, the nose of the pellet being fairly clean of mould marks and grouped just as good using my Superstar as of the Superdomes using my HW77K.....

By the way, annually, there are many serious injuries and deaths in homes where stools, some of them old and rickety, have been used to change light bulbs and other such uses.....Do you think I should hand mine (the stool of course) to the police during this latest amnesty?

By the way, annually, there are many serious injuries and deaths in homes where stools, some of them old and rickety, have been used to change light bulbs and other such uses.....Do you think I should hand mine (the stool of course) to the police during this latest amnesty?[/QUOTE]

I think handing in stools to the police is a particularly precarious procedure unlikely to encounter a great deal of appreciation by the police on receipt of the aforementioned object.

It would undoubtably affect the aromatic air quality of the police station, for a start.

Use of rubber gloves is highly recommended !��

If you take your stools out in public, please make sure they are covered. You may be safe in the police station but there is no guarantee the police won't shoot you for having a chair leg in a public place.

It was only last week when I was in a bar and a nice young man asked me if I wanted my stool pushing in!!

Original 5.56 eley were still available mid/late 90’s from memory. My innova used to love em. It was around the late 90’s that they also introduced the lilac .22’s

Going off a quick search, it would appear that the ‘poor’ wasps started to filter in around late 2002ish

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Strange as it may seem, the new barcoded red .177 Wasps perform very well in both the 99s and 30s...
    Thats's interesting !
    I've just bought a 3/4 full tin of original Eley Wasps (Red Tin) in .177 Cal. and was wondering which gun to shoot them in ?
    Good to know in your case that the new ones do perform !
    “An airgun or two”………

The original ones had Eley Wasp on the tin the later crap ones just got Wasp on them.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Last time I used eley wasps I had to buy an hammer to wack them in to the breach

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by davehope1968 View Post
    Last time I used eley wasps I had to buy an hammer to wack them in to the breach
    I used to have a BSA Mercury 635 Magnum like that where I did the same with .25 Rhino's !
    “An airgun or two”………