Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air cylinder safe transportation question

Air cylinder safe transportation question

Hi, I am looking for suggestions how safely transport the pcp air bottle in the car. Any containers ? mounting kits ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBB View Post
    Hi, I am looking for suggestions how safely transport the pcp air bottle in the car. Any containers ? mounting kits ?

Thanks
    one way as a start . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZEq5l42aY

you can then strap in rather than the bungy cord and then strap it in the car if there is tie down points .some cars do have them .

Best Fittings do a reasonably priced transport kit

http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=598

Contains an anti-roll cradle, carry handle and a magnetic warning sign for the back of the car.

£22.50 +P&P

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post

Contains an anti-roll cradle, carry handle and a magnetic warning sign for the back of the car.

£22.50 +P&P
    or make your own with waste pipe and rope . minus the handle and magnetic badge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfBvLkUeTI4&t=71s

music is crap .so volume down .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    one way as a start . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZEq5l42aY

you can then strap in rather than the bungy cord and then strap it in the car if there is tie down points .some cars do have them .

Nice one , looks like a good weekend project
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post

£22.50 +P&P

It looks like it wont roll but still it will slide ?... so securing down to some anchor will be necessary. Need to double check what is available in the car boot.

Thank you for suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBB View Post
    Nice one , looks like a good weekend project
    Thank you
    david that does the videos builds some good projects like shooting sticks and cleaning stations . his hunting videos are good too .

hope you get something to suit your needs .
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    david that does the videos builds some good projects like shooting sticks and cleaning stations . his hunting videos are good too .

hope you get something to suit your needs .
    Paul
    Thanks for the link Paul

Two lengths of wood 1" square, 1 either side, & a couple of webbing straps to hold them tight in place will stop a cyl rolling around.
    While an off cut of waste pipe or similar can be put over the valve to protect it & pack it tightly against the back seat so it's held in place.

Just like a parcel it needs to be protected/cushioned and packed tightly so it can't move/shake about & impact on solid objects.

I use a case trolley bought at a boot sale for maybe 50p. I fastened a flat board about 8" square on the (foldup) case base and used a couple of belts and webbing fitted with old buckle things from a 'lap top computer bag' to secure my bottle (12l) to the trolley handle. At the top of the handle I have a 12" length of timber bolted on to give extra stability when the trolley is laid flat. In the car I have a couple of rubber floor mats in the boot on which I lay the trolley. It sits there very stable .. when I take the trolley and bottle out I can wheel the bottle on the trolley wheels if I want to e.g. into the filling/test station.
    Cost to me: 50p plus a little time.
    Cheers, Phil

Would you also have to inform your insurance company , for transporting pressurized bottles ? . Anybody shine any light on this ?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by game getter View Post
    Would you also have to inform your insurance company , for transporting pressurized bottles ? . Anybody shine any light on this ?

Mike
    Interesting point... Maybe at the end its better to count the shoots and stick to one charge only

Adam

Mike
    I have never come across any suggestion that a private person should do so for the size bottle we are talking about for airguns. Now if you are transporting bottles for commercial purposes and if the volume you are transporting is above a certain level then I believe you need to display signs on the vehicle indicating 'pressurised air on board' and presumably must have the necessary insurance to be in the business of transporting pressurised air.
    Sorry I cannot recall the volume of air etc but I am sure it is available on the web.
    Cheers, Phil

Mike
    Why ? do you tell them about anything or anyone else that you might happen to carry from time to time ?

If you modify the vehicle from factory spec they need to be informed, if you use it other than the terms of your policy they need to be informed, ie commercial use on a SD&P policy, otherwise it's none of their business.

There are very specific guidelines on the requirements for transporting pressure vessels in the UK.

Short version is that an air cylinder that is not being carried in the course of employment is considered personal cargo.
    Even a 12L air cylinder is not enough to come near the limit for hazardous transport rules to come into effect.

By law there is NO special requirement when transporting small volumes of compressed air. Compressed gas warnings are optional for these quantities but must not be displayed on the vehicle after you remove the cylinder.

Safe handling (dare i say common sense?) is that you secure the cylinder sufficiently that it cannot move about in transit. There is no need to strap it down, just wedge it so it cannot roll about and will not slide forward in the event of sudden breaking or collision.

Anyone who wants to know too much about this can read guidance note 27 from the British Compressed Gas Association (BCGA) which specifically addressed moving gas cylinders in vehicles (including class 2 non toxic, non flammable gasses i.e. Air)
    http://www.bcga.co.uk/pages/download..._name=GN27.pdf