Thread: Balls!

Balls!

I have just rebuilt my Baikal MP-53, polished internals, spring guide, lube etc. Anyway, having a bit of fun in the shed, shooting at a tin can, and found that the .177 spherical ended accu-pels would go through one side and dent the other, just for curiosity, I put a Gamo lead BB in and found it went straight through both sides. (I tried it a number of times to be sure).
    As my usual pastime is paper punching, I don't know much about pellets that don't have a flat head; can anyone suggest why a spherical lead BB can punch through two layers of steel, but a spherical ended pellet can't?

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Presumably the solid ball does not spread out as much on first impact, whereas the mass of the pellet is distributed along the weaker head and skirt?

Did you strip the pistol because it feels rough from new? Good pistol though, with quite a light trigger.

Mine was nearly-new, but in perfect condition; I saw a US blog where one was stripped and lightly tweaked and a post on the UBC from a guy in Canada who had fitted a weaver rail to replace the original sights, which I fancied doing too.
    When I got it apart, I realised how agricultural it was inside, so thought I might as well have a go at making it a bit smoother. My model did not have the trigger adjusting screw found on the earlier versions, so I drilled and tapped the mounting lug, which has made the trigger better.

The weight of the pellet/ball will also affect the penetration.
    Remember... Power is nothing without control (accuracy)!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Hmm. Are the spherical projectiles a really tight fit in the bore? In which case you may be getting some diesel-assist as the pressure builds up so much before they move that the oil vapour from your rebuilding is detonating.

How accurate is that little Russkie? It seems very keenly priced.

My theory is that hitting the can causes the diabolo pellet to lose stability and tumble, reducing penetration when it hits the far side sideways-on. The ball probably also loses stability, but still hits ball-side on, because it is a ball.

In reply to the last two comments, the Gamo balls are probably not as tight as pellets, but stop at the rifling after the breech lead-in.
    It is an accurate pistol but a bit rough around the edges, my attempt at giving it a light tune and lube has made the firing cycle more pleasant. The hard thing for me is getting used to the front-heavy balance and ambidextrous grip compared to my target pistol. However, I am really enjoying the change and challenge of mastering it, I am hopefully getting a 2x pistol scope at the weekend which I am looking forward to trying.

As for the can bashing, I think one of the earlier posts got it right about the hardness of the balls being greater than that of the pellets; they certainly don't deform to the same extent.

So does the MP-53 have a scope rail? I didn't think it did which has put me off buying one to date.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    So does the MP-53 have a scope rail? I didn't think it did which has put me off buying one to date.
    Rich
    No it does not have scope rail.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Hmm. Are the spherical projectiles a really tight fit in the bore? In which case you may be getting some diesel-assist as the pressure builds up so much before they move that the oil vapour from your rebuilding is detonating.

How accurate is that little Russkie? It seems very keenly priced.
    It is accurate, the mechanism is very basic but strangely enough the trigger is pretty good. The rear sight has a bit of slop in it, but that can be remedied. The cocking action on a new one sounds like an old bed spring (it also includes an ABT ratchet), but the pistol shoots well with decent velocity.

Pretty sure Ian.KD did a review on bbs a while back (including strip and re-lube), but often is the case I cannot find that now

They were available from Europe at a ridiculous knock down price a year or so ago.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    No it does not have scope rail.
    I fitted the scope rail to mine, but it was a bit of a faf...

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I fitted the scope rail to mine, but it was a bit of a faf...
    I just glue them on with Tiger Seal, very easy, but here are some others....

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic68556.html
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

GLUE?!

I don't trust the stuff, give me a mechanical fixing every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    GLUE?!

I don't trust the stuff, give me a mechanical fixing every time!
    Why ? Adhesives have advanced a tremendous amount. I take it you no longer fly on holiday. All the latest aircraft have glued sections. When I made them they were riveted.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Why ? Adhesives have advanced a tremendous amount. I take it you no longer fly on holiday. All the latest aircraft have glued sections. When I made them they were riveted.
    Only kidding!

I have spent many a happy hour dealing with glass and carbon reinforced composites; the main thing about gluing anything outside of a clean environment is that it will compromise the integrity of the bond.

Not had chance to go on a Dreamliner yet, but have followed its continuing development with interest...