Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading - most economical calibre

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Go for 38/357... they're identical in all respects apart from case length, so a set of dies for 357 will also do 38.... you can then pick and choose which cases to buy, or scrounge, and use them as your starting point.

Something to consider is whether you use 38 cases in a firearm capable of using 357... there is a 1/10 inch difference between the 2 (so you can't load a high pressure 357 round in a 38 revolver, but you can load 38 in a 357 firearm).

If you only use 38 cases, that spare 1/10 of an inch in the chamber will get filled with carbon and lead, so if you eventually want to load some 357 it will be tricky..

Personally, i've only ever used 357 cases for that very reason... you can still load light target loads (3 to 4 gns of a fast pistol powder) in 357 cases.

HTH
    Just a bit nick-picky but the newer Lee 357 dies will NOT load 38. The 38dies WILL load 357. The crimp in the 357 is too deep to do 38s. I also only use 357 cases.
    Last edited by DesG; 21-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thanks lads... and thanks for the giggle dedidick... that's exactly why I'm leaning towards the bigger calibres lol.. at some point there might also be the opportunity to get some shooting on a friend's land in the future.
    Are pistol calibered rifles conditioned for any UK ground game?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I have my .44 conditioned for pest and vermin. Don't often use it but sometimes it is the rifle of choice on certain properties I shoot on, short range and it's like throwing a brick at them - things stay hit.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    I have my .44 conditioned for pest and vermin. Don't often use it but sometimes it is the rifle of choice on certain properties I shoot on, short range and it's like throwing a brick at them - things stay hit.
    Yup. Not even the mighty .44Mag produces enough ME or MV to take deer-y stuff.

tac

I use the Lee 38spe TC dies mate and I can get groups the size of 50p at 50M don't no how you could get better with it
    If your not loading FMJ you will not need the extra crimping die

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1918
    Last edited by Simon_S; 14-11-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Yup. Not even the mighty .44Mag produces enough ME or MV to take deer-y stuff.

tac
    Just shows how well thought out our legislation on deer legal calibres is.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Thanks lads... and thanks for the giggle dedidick... that's exactly why I'm leaning towards the bigger calibres lol.. at some point there might also be the opportunity to get some shooting on a friend's land in the future.
    My Marlin 1894 is condtioned for land use on an open ticket. The 22rf and the 222 are more use but the 357 is great fun to walk around with.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    My Marlin 1894 is condtioned for land use on an open ticket. The 22rf and the 222 are more use but the 357 is great fun to walk around with.
    Can you please PM me with details of your calibre and load - including ME and MV?

TIA

tac

Just a bit nick-picky but the Lee 357 dies will NOT load 38. The 38dies WILL load 357. The crimp in the 357 is too deep to do 38s. I also only use 357 cases.
    That's odd. My .357 Lee dies have been churning out .38Spec-level loads since 1980 - at one time, up to 800 a week.

Guess I've got a fluke set, right?

tac

I do think thats write the Lee 38 dies will load 38 and 357mag. If you get the 357mag dies they will do the 357mag and the 357Max
    I would get the 38 dies make sure you get the TC ones
    Last edited by Simon_S; 14-11-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Reloading

Find a club which does reloading courses....a book is a good idea but one to one tuition is better. Pistol calibre reloading is quite straightforward once you know what you are doing. Lee kit is fine..carbide dies, no lubing required.

amc577

The club I'm hoping to join does a reloading course as part of the probation term. I'm still waiting on word back about mine and my dad's membership. It dundonald rifle and Pistol club.
    Donald

I just use light load in a 357mag case

boff180 Guest
    If economy is a priority, 357mag is the way to go.

It’s very accurate, particularly with a light charge which means Powder goes a long way - I get just shy of 1500 rounds out of a 0.5kg tub of N320. It’s also the easiest to acquire components for.

I’m probably going to be berated for this but in my experience Lee equipment is relatively cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for. The kit is “ok” or is inconsistent or breaks easily - their 38-55 dies for instance apart from the sizing die are actually 375H&H dies and the seating die shaves lead off the side of heads affecting their accuracy! The ones I acquired now are relegated to backup and replaced by a decent brand which do the job correctly.

I would recommend investing in a better brand of reloading gear as it is better quality, particularly the dies. RCBS, Redding of Lyman all being excellent - the RCBS Cowboy dies being the best (imho) on the market for loading Lead heads. If progressive presses are the order of the day you cannot go wrong investing in a Dillon 550 or 650 set-up, they’re the best on the market with what is probably the most consistent Auto Powder throwing system you can get.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by boff180 View Post

..I’m probably going to be berated for this but in my experience Lee equipment is relatively cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for. The kit is “ok” or is inconsistent or breaks easily - their 38-55 dies for instance apart from the sizing die are actually 375H&H dies and the seating die shaves lead off the side of heads affecting their accuracy! The ones I acquired now are relegated to backup and replaced by a decent brand which do the job correctly.

I would recommend investing in a better brand of reloading gear as it is better quality, particularly the dies. RCBS, Redding of Lyman all being excellent - the RCBS Cowboy dies being the best (imho) on the market for loading Lead heads. If progressive presses are the order of the day you cannot go wrong investing in a Dillon 550 or 650 set-up, they’re the best on the market with what is probably the most consistent Auto Powder throwing system you can get.

Andy
    Just a bit nick-picky but the Lee 357 dies will NOT load 38. The 38dies WILL load 357. The crimp in the 357 is too deep to do 38s. I also only use 357 cases.

To be honest Des, I bought my Lee dies for reloading 38/357 about 30 years ago, so without looking at them I can't remember whether they're .38 or .357, although I remember getting the ones that gave me the option to load both calibres.

At the same time I bought a Lee Pro 1000 progressive press... 30 years on that its still going strong and used for my .357s, after maybe 50,000 rounds of .357, .45 and 9mm over the years.

The only thing thats needed replacing a few years ago was the shell plate carrier ...I somehow managed to bend it...