Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to reloading - most economical calibre

New to reloading - most economical calibre

My dad and I are hopefully joining a club with a view to getting lever action cowboy rifles.
    The question is, what is the best calibre to reload... 38/357/44/45?
    Also what would be a good reloading kit to buy.. we will probably reload a couple hundred rounds a month and time will be a factor.
    Finally what are the recommended books to purchase.
    Thanks learned members!
    Donald

38/357 would be the most economical to load , smaller (cheaper) bullet , less powder as well.
    Accuracy wise all capable, at the club I go to most use 38/357 for gallery rifle , some use 44mag down loaded to 44 special velocities so as to not exceed range safety limits ( same with 357 magnum- downloaded) .
    Personally I like the 45long Colt , lovely round to use ,but if I was competing in a ' moving' competition it would be 38/357.
    With regards loading gear a lee turret press would be a good start , start loading individual rounds and once confident then use the semi auto feature of it .if you find you are shooting a lot hen a progressive press is the way to go,however they can throw a wobbly if you run out of primers or powder.
    Re books to get- one or more reloading guides form Sierra or other manufacturers,I always recccomend Hand loading for competition by glen zediker,it primarily applies to rifle cartridges but is applicable to reloading in general.
    Not forgetting you tube,whichhas loads of videos on it as well.
    Hope this helps
    James

Thanks James... lots of food info there.
    I'm not too bothered about pennies per round if that's all the difference there is between 38/357 and 44/45 long colt.. I'm more thinking about what is the most fun calibre. We will primarily be shooting local competitions I think..
    I've been looking at 1892s. really liking the browning guns. It seems to be the most iconic... I love the original Henry rifle as well which comes in 45 long colt
    Donald

I know nothing of the rifles or calibres so can't comment on that side,
    but for books there is a series called "one book-one calibre" which as the name suggests you buy for your calibre & it has information from multiple manufacturers of both bullets & powders but only for that cal, rather than a single manufacturer for multiple calibres that you don't have.

Go for 38/357... they're identical in all respects apart from case length, so a set of dies for 357 will also do 38.... you can then pick and choose which cases to buy, or scrounge, and use them as your starting point.

Something to consider is whether you use 38 cases in a firearm capable of using 357... there is a 1/10 inch difference between the 2 (so you can't load a high pressure 357 round in a 38 revolver, but you can load 38 in a 357 firearm).

If you only use 38 cases, that spare 1/10 of an inch in the chamber will get filled with carbon and lead, so if you eventually want to load some 357 it will be tricky..

Personally, i've only ever used 357 cases for that very reason... you can still load light target loads (3 to 4 gns of a fast pistol powder) in 357 cases.

HTH

44 & 45 make bigger holes! Might mean the difference between a 9 & a 10
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    44 & 45 make bigger holes! Might mean the difference between a 9 & a 10
    bigger bang too

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Go for 38/357... they're identical in all respects apart from case length, so a set of dies for 357 will also do 38.... you can then pick and choose which cases to buy, or scrounge, and use them as your starting point.

Something to consider is whether you use 38 cases in a firearm capable of using 357... there is a 1/10 inch difference between the 2 (so you can't load a high pressure 357 round in a 38 revolver, but you can load 38 in a 357 firearm).

If you only use 38 cases, that spare 1/10 of an inch in the chamber will get filled with carbon and lead, so if you eventually want to load some 357 it will be tricky..

Personally, i've only ever used 357 cases for that very reason... you can still load light target loads (3 to 4 gns of a fast pistol powder) in 357 cases.

HTH
    Just a bit nick-picky but the newer Lee 357 dies will NOT load 38. The 38dies WILL load 357. The crimp in the 357 is too deep to do 38s. I also only use 357 cases.
    Last edited by DesG; 21-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Thanks lads... and thanks for the giggle dedidick... that's exactly why I'm leaning towards the bigger calibres lol.. at some point there might also be the opportunity to get some shooting on a friend's land in the future.
    Are pistol calibered rifles conditioned for any UK ground game?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Just a bit nick-picky but the Lee 357 dies will NOT load 38. The 38dies WILL load 357. The crimp in the 357 is too deep to do 38s. I also only use 357 cases.
    That's odd. My .357 Lee dies have been churning out .38Spec-level loads since 1980 - at one time, up to 800 a week.

Guess I've got a fluke set, right?

tac

I do think thats write the Lee 38 dies will load 38 and 357mag. If you get the 357mag dies they will do the 357mag and the 357Max
    I would get the 38 dies make sure you get the TC ones
    Last edited by Simon_S; 14-11-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Reloading

Find a club which does reloading courses....a book is a good idea but one to one tuition is better. Pistol calibre reloading is quite straightforward once you know what you are doing. Lee kit is fine..carbide dies, no lubing required.

amc577

The club I'm hoping to join does a reloading course as part of the probation term. I'm still waiting on word back about mine and my dad's membership. It dundonald rifle and Pistol club.
    Donald

I just use light load in a 357mag case

boff180 Guest
    If economy is a priority, 357mag is the way to go.

It’s very accurate, particularly with a light charge which means Powder goes a long way - I get just shy of 1500 rounds out of a 0.5kg tub of N320. It’s also the easiest to acquire components for.

I’m probably going to be berated for this but in my experience Lee equipment is relatively cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for. The kit is “ok” or is inconsistent or breaks easily - their 38-55 dies for instance apart from the sizing die are actually 375H&H dies and the seating die shaves lead off the side of heads affecting their accuracy! The ones I acquired now are relegated to backup and replaced by a decent brand which do the job correctly.

I would recommend investing in a better brand of reloading gear as it is better quality, particularly the dies. RCBS, Redding of Lyman all being excellent - the RCBS Cowboy dies being the best (imho) on the market for loading Lead heads. If progressive presses are the order of the day you cannot go wrong investing in a Dillon 550 or 650 set-up, they’re the best on the market with what is probably the most consistent Auto Powder throwing system you can get.

Andy