Thread: Reposting gallery pics help please

Reposting gallery pics help please

I'm looking to recruit some more helpers to transfer over pics from Photobucket to my own web host, please. At the moment I am working through the main gallery, and have got to the start of letter ‘D’.

At the same time, Jimmie Dee has heroically worked on the letters ‘T’ to ‘W’.

I have a few other collectors lined up to help when they can spare the time.

I have about a year to get them all moved and progress is good so far, but I can tell I’ll need more help with the BSA, Diana and Falke galleries.

The process is fairly simple: using right click ‘save as’, save pics from each gallery entry to folders on your hard disk, then upload the same pics to the vintageairgunsgallery.com website (I will give you instructions). It automatically presents you with links to the pics, which then need to be copied and pasted into the gallery page for that model, on top of the existing Photobucket links.

It’s not a technically difficult thing to do, but needs concentration and patience to get it right every time. You need to be able to devote chunks of time to it and be methodical as you work.

Anyone who thinks they’d be up for helping over the next 8 months, please let me know and I’ll give you a test to see if you're up to the task! Thanks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Careful, don't all surge forward at once.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

The process is fairly simple: using right click ‘save as’, save pics from each gallery entry to folders on your hard disk
    Deeply inefficient Danny. I will use a random Falke gallery as an example: http://www.network54.com/Forum/642127/message/1454690800/Blinged-up+Falke+80+no.+96

Go into the gallery link, copy the forum message id, in this case "1454690800" from the above link, you will need it for reference.
    Right click anywhere on the message page and save as, a dialog box will open with the location to save and a pre-filled name that will look like this: Falke Gallery_.html, you will append the message id you copied previously to this file name like so: Falke Gallery_1454690800.html, click save. This will now save every image in one go on that page in a folder on your hard drive. On N54 there is very little file overhead so while it will download a few extraneous files, they are tiny (altogether around 146kb) and not a bother. Delete everything that is not a gallery image.

If you meticulously follow the procedure above you will have the entire gallery, message by message, downloaded and properly referenced for the bulk upload procedure.

Caveats, you will need decent internet speed for this procedure and will not work on blocked images.

P.S. Your entire Falke Gallery is now downloaded (http://www.network54.com/Forum/642127)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen K View Post
    P.S. Your entire Falke Gallery is now downloaded (http://www.network54.com/Forum/642127)
    Thanks Kane. It's good to hear that at least part of the process can be speeded up. (I tried that and it's just saved the html file on my hard disk as far as I can see. Could you please email me a fuller explanation? Thanks.)

Volunteers still needed...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

115 albums so far... 1193 images done.

The problem with Cheverto is it orders files in order of first uploaded. So doing a bulk upload is pointless as you then have to grab each link one by one to reproduce the same order in the gallery. But, if you upload images one by one in reverse order, you can then grab all the links in bulk and just copy, paste and format.

If I could be arsed, I'd write a python script to automate the whole process. Hmm... I might have a think about that... The harder bit for me is automating the upload to cheverto.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Reckon I can do some, though stupidly busy right now. Are there discrete self contained sections I could assist with?

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Reckon I can do some, though stupidly busy right now. Are there discrete self contained sections I could assist with?
    Ollie that's very kind. Yes, there will be discrete sections to do. Maybe get back in touch when you have some time coming up and I'll set you up then?

Along with Jimmie's sterling efforts, this project has recently had a major boost with the addition of the amazing Kane - owner of the South African air rifles forum - to the volunteer workforce. He's already done the entire Falke forum galleries and promises to do even more!

So we're well on the way to preserving these galleries free of the dreaded Photobucket and I'm confident all the pics will be transferred by the time the greedy b*****s pull the plug at the end of next year.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    115 albums so far... 1193 images done.

The problem with Cheverto is it orders files in order of first uploaded. So doing a bulk upload is pointless as you then have to grab each link one by one to reproduce the same order in the gallery. But, if you upload images one by one in reverse order, you can then grab all the links in bulk and just copy, paste and format.

If I could be arsed, I'd write a python script to automate the whole process. Hmm... I might have a think about that... The harder bit for me is automating the upload to cheverto.
    In the N54 galleries the image sort order is almost entirely irrelevant in any event. I use album view exclusively in Chevereto and for the most part it defaults to the same order as the original N54 thread images order. On a few of the N54 gallery threads images may be separated by subtitles/text but it is easy enough to select in the Chevereto album view which image set goes where within the post.

P.S. Now making good headway through the Diana galleries.

Sheridan gallery now completed, only a few more S's to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Sheridan gallery now completed, only a few more S's to go.
    Outstanding, David, thank you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Just a thought... what happens when Cheverto decide to start charging... it's inevitable surely.

Just a thought... what happens when Cheverto decide to start charging... it's inevitable surely.
    Chevereto is just the front end script, not the web host, Jimmie. In any case, there's both a free service and a paid service. I have the paid one and I own the image database - it can easily be moved to another provider if necessary.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, I have to second Jimmie's concern, as it seems to me to be an ugly inevitability, too?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.