Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No wonder we get a bad name

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    What is the position of the law if the land owner had errects a large sign saying ' Beware Vermin Control/Shooting in progress '?

A.G
    Basically no difference, a public ROW is just that so the public can use it 24/7/365.
    but any dogs should be on a lead at all times & any pedestrians stick to the designated path.

It's the shooters responsibility to make sure safety is assured, a footpath is not "a highway" so the 50ft rule does not apply but if in any doubt the shooter will probably be judged to be in the wrong unless they can prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    gets a lot worse when the public have the right to roam as they do up here .

the general public like the guy complaining are not innocent either .

there is a dog owner near my permission that lives right next to one of the fields i shoot . if she sees me (i pass her house in the car and she can see the full length of the field) she then grabs the dog and strides through the field whistling at he dog or telling the dog to chase the rabbits . if she then sees me she slows down her walking and takes for ever to go through the field . if she does not see me she walks at a fair speed .

if i'm seen i will unload the rifle and put it in my gun bag and sit down where i am or walk in the opposite direction .

she has been asked not to enter the field when any one is shooting ( myself or the estate gamekeepers )but she still does it .

the estate does not want to take it further as they don't want the bad publicity . she is surrounded by fields but always uses this field .

her husband ,he is a fine .if he sees me or the estate gamekeepers he will turn a head back . i have spoken to him a number of times and he is a nice guy . he says he spoken to his wife and asked her not to do what she does but she wont listen.

she called the police one night as the estate gamekeeper was out shooting foxes . they got 3 that night . she called the police saying there was a guy in the field recklessly firing at things in the dark and shining a high power blinding light in her window.

the police called the gamekeepers (they had previously called the MOD police and the civilian police to say they would be out shooting and lamping) and asked if they were still on the land and lamping and they said yes , they were then told there had been a complaint and the gamekeeper said i can guess who and told them the ladies name . the police would not confirm it . the gamekeepers knew who it was as her house is the only one there .

she even walked through the field when the gamekeepers were flushing out the foxes from the wood.she was told to stop but carried on. keepers then stopped and recorded what was going on in case there was a confrontation. she was shouting they were murderers.

she is vocally an anti ,and i was told by my brother in law about her before i started shooting there . she complains about his tractor and cows churning up the mud at the gate to the field . a typical townie .

i tend not to go in that field now . and if i do i stay at the other end of it . not worth the hassle .
    Not knowing Scottish law, does right to roam state dogs may run loose & chase wildlife ? if not the land owner should write & tell her to keep the dog on a lead, as it's his land I would think he has the legal right to do so.

or report her for "setting her dog on rabbits"

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Not knowing Scottish law, does right to roam state dogs may run loose & chase wildlife ? if not the land owner should write & tell her to keep the dog on a lead, as it's his land I would think he has the legal right to do so.

or report her for "setting her dog on rabbits"
    . my brother in law only breeds cows so i would think the cows would chase the dog
    plus they are hardly in that part of the field.

The Key advice for dog walking in the autumn can be found on the Seasonal Advice pages.

The information below is a short summary of the key things to remember from the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.

The Access Code says:

Access rights apply to people walking dogs as long as their dogs are kept under proper control. Your main responsibilities are:

Farm animals:
    Never let your dog worry or attack farm animals.

Don't take your dog into fields where there are lambs, calves or other young farm animals.

If you go into a field of farm animals, keep your dog(s) on a short lead or under close control and keep as far as possible from the animals.

If cattle react aggressively and move towards you, keep calm, let the dog go and take the shortest, safest route out of the field.

Crops:
    Don't take your dog into fields of vegetables or fruit unless there is a clear path, such as a core path or right of way, and keep your dog to the path.

Ground nesting birds:

During the breeding season (usually April-July) keep your dog on a short lead or close at heel in areas such as moorland, forests, grasslands, loch shores and the sea shore to avoid disturbing birds that nest on or near the ground.

Recreation areas and public places:

avoid causing concern to others by keeping your dog close at heel or on a short lead.

Dog waste:
    Pick up and remove your dog's faeces if it defecates in a public open place.dog

would a springer catch a rabbit in a race?
    Last edited by bighit; 15-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I agree mate - hysterical dog walker wins by default
    sadly yes . there could be 100 witnesses to say the shooter did nothing wrong but the word gun seems to cloud peoples judgement if they are antis or know no better than to see it from both sides.

Poor reporting, one sided and shoddy.

17 year old being called children and the same journalists want young people to get the vote???

It is for us all to ensure we are well up to speed on the law and good etiquette. Walk away from all confrontation, well at least until the guns are away. Then never lose the plot...be polite at all times.
    The public need educating too, so be well prepared and give correct and good information so they understand more about what legal activity is going on and the importance of it.

For interference of vermin control, then have the land owner send them a bill for damage by the rabbits, rabbits that would have been shot. Make the bill just annoying, like £35. If they do it again increase the bill by a tenner. Not paid give them a solicitors letter. All depends if you have the energy to do it.
    (I'm such a romantic).

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    . my brother in law only breeds cows so i would think the cows would chase the dog
    plus they are hardly in that part of the field.
    Cheers for the info,
    my idiot ex neighbour had a "puppy farm" Collies, Poodles & King Charles, always some loose & they chased cows in my fields & got shot when seen doing it.

The point was more that if this woman is being an arse, use the law to be an arse back, ie by telling her to keep the dog on a lead unless she can show where it says that's not a requirement,
    & report her allowing/encouraging it to chase/attack wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Cheers for the info,
    my idiot ex neighbour had a "puppy farm" Collies, Poodles & King Charles, always some loose & they chased cows in my fields & got shot when seen doing it.

The point was more that if this woman is being an arse, use the law to be an arse back, ie by telling her to keep the dog on a lead unless she can show where it says that's not a requirement,
    & report her allowing/encouraging it to chase/attack wildlife.
    It does not bother my brother in law and as he rents the farm it's the gamekeepers shout I'd guess. I know when I last spoke to the gamekeeper they were just letting it go. Not worth the aggro he said. Just a typical townie. I have not seen her for months.

I have limited success in that end of the field and it's not worth the walk to be honest. I tend to stick to the other end that she does not go and up the hill ,again she does not go that way.