Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Mark 2 Target - first variation - walnut grips?

I've just found some of my notes on The Hoffman Arms Co, from a few years ago, when I was preparing my series for Airgun World. Hope this may be of some interest.

The Hoffman Arms Company,
    Set up in Cleveland Ohio in 1923 and based at 1772 East 27th Street with a suite at 100 East 42nd Street New York. Hoffman Arms adverts from 1924 also made reference to 25 Warren Street, New York. The company claimed sole Webley distribution rights in an early Webley Mark I air pistol brochure, which included a Hoffman stamp stating the New York address was 100 East 42nd Street.

Hoffman were contracted to sell a certain amount of arms by Webley and when they failed to do so and defaulted, the contract ceased quite early on. Webley later used the 100 East 42nd Street address for W & C Scott Arms Co., Inc. between 1926 and 1929 but as the address consisted of various different suites, I have been unable to confirm if the same suite (no 304) was used, potentially after unsold stock had been repossessed. The General Manager of the Hoffman Arms Company was ex Marine Frank L Hoffman. Some employees were said to have been poached from established companies such as Colt or Holland & Holland. The company was bought out in 1925 and moved to Ardmore, Oklahoma. Hoffman advertised rifles in all calibres from .22 to .600 in the March 15 1926 issue of the American Rifleman. The advert included a testimonial on a big game rifle and the company claimed match grade barrels were made in their own factory.

Kind regards,

John M

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I've just found some of my notes on The Hoffman Arms Co, from a few years ago, when I was preparing my series for Airgun World. Hope this may be of some interest.

The Hoffman Arms Company,
    Set up in Cleveland Ohio in 1923 and based at 1772 East 27th Street with a suite at 100 East 42nd Street New York. Hoffman Arms adverts from 1924 also made reference to 25 Warren Street, New York. The company claimed sole Webley distribution rights in an early Webley Mark I air pistol brochure, which included a Hoffman stamp stating the New York address was 100 East 42nd Street.

Hoffman were contracted to sell a certain amount of arms by Webley and when they failed to do so and defaulted, the contract ceased quite early on. Webley later used the 100 East 42nd Street address for W & C Scott Arms Co., Inc. between 1926 and 1929 but as the address consisted of various different suites, I have been unable to confirm if the same suite (no 304) was used, potentially after unsold stock had been repossessed. The General Manager of the Hoffman Arms Company was ex Marine Frank L Hoffman. Some employees were said to have been poached from established companies such as Colt or Holland & Holland. The company was bought out in 1925 and moved to Ardmore, Oklahoma. Hoffman advertised rifles in all calibres from .22 to .600 in the March 15 1926 issue of the American Rifleman. The advert included a testimonial on a big game rifle and the company claimed match grade barrels were made in their own factory.

Kind regards,

John M
    Interesting, was there any other player in Webley before Stoeger? When did Stoeger get the license? When did they cease?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting, was there any other player in Webley before Stoeger? When did Stoeger get the license? When did they cease?
    Yes, Hoffman had the agency from 1924 to 1927, when Stoeger took over. They in turn lost the agency in 1937. Webley also used W & C Scott Arms early on, before Stoeger.

Kind regards,

John