Thread: Mtc viper lens cover puzzle!

Mtc viper lens cover puzzle!

Hi guys I'm looking for some kindly advice regarding my recently purchased Mtc viper 4x16x50 scope. I bought it second hand it came with a sunshade that is fitted with a removable metal Mtc lens cover, but I've found the cover does not fit the front of the scope without the sunshade, can anyone advise me if there is some kind of adapter to enable me to do that, also looking for a large parallax wheel for it too, here's hoping. Cheers Adrian

Well there is an adaptor for where the objective thread is bigger than the sunshade thread, I'm not sure if it's now on their web site as it wasn't in the past but I have one fitted.
    Whether that is the same one as you require obviously I can't say, You don't actually say whether the cover is larger or smaller than the objective

Just a thought, check that an adaptor isn't stuck on the shade (or on the scope if the cover thread is too big) it's quite hard to see, the edge is only a mil or so wide, if not phone MTC with the part no of the scope & they should sort it.

A big sidewheel is on the web site, but not the thread adaptors I've just looked.
    Last edited by angrybear; 17-11-2017 at 06:11 PM.

This might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiRNU-KREl4

Look at about 9min 30sec 'ish
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

I’ve just done the same on mine,sometimes the adaptor comes out with the sunshade sometimes not,you’ll see a thin 1-2 mm ring screwed in the end of the scope remove this and refit the cover,they can be tight I found the best way was to screw the sunshade on tightly,then twist it undone in a snatchy movement to release the adaptor

sportsman gun centre sell the large wheel
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Viper scope cover puzzle now solved

Hi guys many thanks for your suggestions and Simon you get first prize with the sunshade twist off tip it worked first time, I'm a very happy bunny (maybe shouldn't have said that on here).

Cheers guys Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1 View Post
    Hi guys I'm looking for some kindly advice regarding my recently purchased Mtc viper 4x16x50 scope. I bought it second hand it came with a sunshade that is fitted with a removable metal Mtc lens cover, but I've found the cover does not fit the front of the scope without the sunshade, can anyone advise me if there is some kind of adapter to enable me to do that, also looking for a large parallax wheel for it too, here's hoping. Cheers Adrian
    Out of the box the MTC Vipers and Mambas have an adaptor ring attached to the front of the scope that needs to be removed if the sunshade is to be fitted. That ring will then attach to the front of the sunshade so that the flip up cap can be attached to the front of the sunshade. If your scope has the flip up cap attached to the front of the sunshade then just remove the adaptor ring and reattach it to the front of the scope.

A.G

Glad you got it sorted,I had to remove one off my viper to fit to a Springer,took me a while to figure it out

Lucky you have one that fits.
    The Viper i have it is impossible to fit the lens cover to the sunshade; doesn't have a removable ring on the shade, just badly threaded and wont start.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    Lucky you have one that fits.
    The Viper i have it is impossible to fit the lens cover to the sunshade; doesn't have a removable ring on the shade, just badly threaded and wont start.
    So either clean the thread or file it back a bit

It is clean. it's in mint condition as it was when new a few years back and has had this issue the whole time.

Either way it doesn't change the fact that from new the two part cannot be fitted together. I stopped buying MTC after that since the build quality is noticeably worse than my original viper. If you ever had the need to take a file to a £250 optic when it's new out the box it's time for a change of manufacturer.

Sadly i have purchased a £300 Niko recently and found that has appalling build quality compared to 3 others I own from about 15 years ago.
    I don't know what you have to pay to get the same level of build and optics these days but either the manufacturers are sliding or I don't have the cash for nice glass anymore.