Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer Tuning Projects.

Springer Tuning Projects.

We appear not to have had so many Boinger tuning threads recently.

And, through chronic lack of spare fettling time, I'm suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms. I have three which I really need to get around to getting to know a little more intimately....The old style HW50 which Oldskoolz sourced for me earlier this year, a HW35 from another nice Nick, 18Wheeler, and the Gamo Vipermax freebie.

In the meantime, hearing of your projects, be they mild fettles or big re-engineering jobs will just keep me going for now.

What are we currently working on, Boingerpeeps?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    We had a three week old HW99 in this week. It's dropped power and started galling like a barsteward!
    The power was lack of dieseling and the galling can be fixed easy enough. Trouble is now I don't think we can talk about what we do or we'd be banned!

Best get in non-airgun and argue about Brexit!

i will hopefully have a very interesting springer next week that has no commercial interest at all, maybe I can go into detail on that?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I just finished sorting a mild tune on the Vulcan i got at the bash i saw you at this year it cost me £40 and had been on the table 6 times !!
    It was the worst, sounding springer i have ever shot.
    Its come out really nice new breach washer, piston seal, spring set of guides and i have been attempting to sorry the trigger out but not had chance to see if its, done the the job yet.
    The spring i used fitted the inside of the piston exactly when compressed and i ordered the guides i little bit too big so had to make them fit perfectly .
    End result its probably the best tune i have done so very happy .
    I polished the trigger sears and cut down the trigger spring the other night its got rid, of the notch y feel but not sure that's,a good thing yet ,i was, able to use, the bitchy feel to predict when the trigger might let go .
    I also got my 35 at least on the edge of accurate in the end by re crowning both ends of c the barrel and new shims but just can't get that feeling that the 35 is,a wrong 80 in some way out of my head so i have a buyer lined up for it now.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not a "full-on" tune Tony but I'm tarting up a recently acquired FWB 300SU Southpaw !
    Chuffed to bitz the fact I've found one Cack-Handed !
    Very attractive walnut handle too and will sit well with my 300S, also a lefty !

You will no doubt remember that its all your fault I ended up chasing these great airguns in the first place !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    We appear not to have had so many Boinger tuning threads recently.

And, through chronic lack of spare fettling time, I'm suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms. I have three which I really need to get around to getting to know a little more intimately....The old style HW50 which Oldskoolz sourced for me earlier this year, a HW35 from another nice Nick, 18Wheeler, and the Gamo Vipermax freebie.

In the meantime, hearing of your projects, be they mild fettles or big re-engineering jobs will just keep me going for now.

What are we currently working on, Boingerpeeps?
    Other than dropping the power on my nicely tuned Diana 280 I'm stuck for a springer project myself.
    The 280 has been done for about a year and nicely bedded in now so needed to lose a little preload. Now set at a lovely 10.6 with express. (As all my springers are). Smooth as silk to cock and very little recoil.
    I'm currently searching for another 280 to have a real set to on.
    Maybe an xocet if one crosses my path or a longbow.
    I feel I've done most of the HW stable to death
    Last edited by robs5230; 18-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    B.A.S.C. member

I have a big box containing 2 2/3 pistols. One Original mod 6g and one mod 5g and most of another 5. I have no idea what to do with them or any idea when I'll get time to rebuild them. But I reckon a .22 6g running around 5 ft/lb would be AWESOME!

Just taken the internals out of my TX200 Mk1 and put them in my TX200HC if that counts....
    Seems OK at 10.5 ft-lb. Only had a chance to test at 20 yards so far though. Groups are the same as before with the mk3 internals. Need to do a bit of pellet testing at longer range to see if I can gain anything. Otherwise its going back to how it was.

This is my HFT gun so not too fussed about how it feels, just where the pellets end up

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Other than dropping the power on my nicely tuned Diana 280 I'm stuck for a springer project myself.
    The 280 has been done for about a year and nicely bedded in now so need to lose a little preload. Smooth as silk to cock and very little recoil.
    I'm currently searching for another 280 to have a real set to on.
    Maybe an xocet if one crosses my path or a longbow.
    I feel I've done most of the HW stable to death
    Brum Webleys are a noble quest !

Wish you well, great guns !
    “An airgun or two”………

My Paul Short HW97 is now finished. I had already upgraded it to include the titanium piston, but recently, Paul made one of his inlet steel rear guides that is actually attached to the trigger block. I also left an australian red seal for him to fit while he had the gun apart. He also jewelled the comp tube, treated it to new scrws and screw cups and fitted one of his lovely brass set back triggers. So now it is as bautiful on the outside as it is on the inside. It shoots superbly!
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Got a supersport carbine that needs stripping and sorting as its well down on power and need to get a plan together on the eclipse as its a great gun but mega twangy so something is not right in there and needs smoothing out.
    I go have a couple of pcp's that have my attention at the moment though oh and i need to do some welding on a old tracker thats falling apart!

Should keep me busy till christmas.

These as soon as poss.
    Up to our necks in Poppy cash count at the mo'

Just half an hour ago I chronoed a totally stock standard TXHC and it was doing 778 - 781 for over 30 shots.
    I did have plans to shove a good few internal mods into it but now I’m reconsidering that...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have a big box containing 2 2/3 pistols. One Original mod 6g and one mod 5g and most of another 5. I have no idea what to do with them or any idea when I'll get time to rebuild them. But I reckon a .22 6g running around 5 ft/lb would be AWESOME!
    Snap! Or nearly. My box contains a 6M with cheese seals, a 6G with cheese seals and 95% of a 6G in bits. And a 66 rifle with cheese seals and a full rebuild kit.

However, I don't believe you can get the 6 past about 3 ft/lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Snap! Or nearly. My box contains a 6M with cheese seals, a 6G with cheese seals and 95% of a 6G in bits. And a 66 rifle with cheese seals and a full rebuild kit.

However, I don't believe you can get the 6 past about 3 ft/lbs.
    My last one was doing about 450 fps in .177. In .22 the powers gotta go up a bit right!

Well, going back a couple of months I bought an HW77 in a lovely laminate stock. Fitted with Nick G internals (alloy piston) it was surprisingly twangy, though very nice to shoot otherwise. So she came to bits and I found a better fitting spring in my spares box to match to the new guide and hat. I removed the trigger and replaced it with a fettled one I had in the man cave and voila! - twangless and still retaining the excellent shot cycle, although as it's a 'K' you get a bit of muzzle bark. Recently purchased an SMK from the sales section. An XS20 (the HW95 clone). I stripped her down for a fettle and re-sprung her with a top hat fitted. I included a fettle on the 'Rekord' copy trigger and I must say I'm pleased with the results (some might say I'm easily pleased). Lastly, I'm awaiting the return of one of my HW30's from Geoff Bullock at Liquid Steel Designs, who has just glided the piston for me and made some new guides to go with a re-spring. I went a bit abstract with the stock finish on this one, so looking forward to getting it back (oh and I had the action Cerakoted tungsten as well). So, what's left... I have an HW35 Luxus to put back together and I'm girding my loins to do something about a hairline crack that's appeared in the stock of my FWB300 .