Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer Tuning Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Just half an hour ago I chronoed a totally stock standard TXHC and it was doing 778 - 781 for over 30 shots.
    I did have plans to shove a good few internal mods into it but now I’m reconsidering that...
    Mmm....tricky one that, young Craig.

On the one hand there's that old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and all that. Maybe, maybe, give it a thorough workout in a variety of scenarios and see how you feel re accuracy / hold sensitivity.

But, then, simply fitting a lighter top hat does seem to improve the cycle significantly, although (especially with the HC) you'll need to up the preload a fair bit. Gives you the opportunity to check, polish and re-lube, too.

Or, having seen how impressed you've been with Nick's, Charlie's and Jon's reduced bore wonders, were you considering something a little more "involved"?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    Haven't seen you round the forums lately old mate.
    Haven't been on the UKCAF for a while to be honest, nit since the change of layout. I spend more time here now, as my collection has grown to include more random stuff. Still live my Chinese guns though, although the 19 isn't quirky enough for me! How are things with you?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Mmm....tricky one that, young Craig.

On the one hand there's that old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and all that. Maybe, maybe, give it a thorough workout in a variety of scenarios and see how you feel re accuracy / hold sensitivity.

But, then, simply fitting a lighter top hat does seem to improve the cycle significantly, although (especially with the HC) you'll need to up the preload a fair bit. Gives you the opportunity to check, polish and re-lube, too.

Or, having seen how impressed you've been with Nick's, Charlie's and Jon's reduced bore wonders, were you considering something a little more "involved"?
    Exactly mate. Choices are a full 22mm reduction or a lightened OEM piston with HW seal.
    Or just leave it as is, enjoy it for what it is and avoid having yet another rifle in pieces for around six months whilst I ‘find time to do it’..
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    We appear not to have had so many Boinger tuning threads recently.

In the meantime, hearing of your projects, be they mild fettles or big re-engineering jobs will just keep me going for now.

What are we currently working on, Boingerpeeps?
    My 'main' springer, a Mk 2 MW77 has been at the range for testing. Its either me, the scope or the rifle but it is just not as accurate as I want it to be. I have messed about with its insides a fair bit, fitting a Dave Hall buttoned compression chamber and I cannot remember what kind of piston seal and spring/top hat/guide combo. The groups give me the impression it is probably me, as there is a tiny 5mm cluster plus the looser shots in the group, overall diameter 20mm at 30 yards which is unacceptable. But I cannot be sure it is just me...

One thing is the trigger has too long a second-stage and is a bit - dare I say it? creepy.
    Another is that I replaced the beech stock with a plastic KT version, the intention being that the trigger-press will be easier to keep along the axis of the rifle. But the lighter stock might be making the rig more difficult to shoot consistently because of the lack of mass.
    Then I am not sure how mucky the barrel is... so it needs cleaning and re-leading.

So plan is to

1. Learn more about the Rekord and get the trigger sorted.
    2. Clean the barrel thoroughly and re-lead it.
    3. Think about getting a beech HW97 stock to replace the KT.

If none of these work then I might have to look at re-crowning the barrel...

The main problem is that I cannot be arsed to even take the stock off the rifle at the moment. November isn't it?

The other rifle I have been playing with is my custom-stocked HW30S. I have fitted this with a Beeman Sport aperture sight, and it will shoot less than 25 mm at 30 yards. I think this is pretty good for open sights and it is great fun to plink with, no 'finding' the target in the sights, just look at the target, bring the rifle up, line up the front sight and let off the shot. The 'auto centring' ability of the eye with aperture sights is amazing. However, the ludicrous HW trigger position means it will not be 'perfik' until it has been fitted with a Rowan super-set back job, which is an expense too far at the moment.

I have my other HW30II old school project in the back of the cupboard, and my Hammerli 401 project, but like I said it is November and I cannot be arsed.

.177 is it, Alistair? Dare I say it - old '77s don't always group well.

As JB might say: Next time it's apart, push a pellet through to check for slack zones. If it's one of those barrels that seems very pellet fussy and always wants cleaning - I bet you'd find it's choked towards the breech end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    My 'main' springer, a Mk 2 MW77 has been at the range for testing. Its either me, the scope or the rifle but it is just not as accurate as I want it to be. I have messed about with its insides a fair bit, fitting a Dave Hall buttoned compression chamber and I cannot remember what kind of piston seal and spring/top hat/guide combo. The groups give me the impression it is probably me, as there is a tiny 5mm cluster plus the looser shots in the group, overall diameter 20mm at 30 yards which is unacceptable. But I cannot be sure it is just me...

One thing is the trigger has too long a second-stage and is a bit - dare I say it? creepy.
    Another is that I replaced the beech stock with a plastic KT version, the intention being that the trigger-press will be easier to keep along the axis of the rifle. But the lighter stock might be making the rig more difficult to shoot consistently because of the lack of mass.
    Then I am not sure how mucky the barrel is... so it needs cleaning and re-leading.

So plan is to

The main problem is that I cannot be arsed to even take the stock off the rifle at the moment. November isn't it?

The other rifle I have been playing with is my custom-stocked HW30S. I have fitted this with a Beeman Sport aperture sight, and it will shoot less than 25 mm at 30 yards. I think this is pretty good for open sights and it is great fun to plink with, no 'finding' the target in the sights, just look at the target, bring the rifle up, line up the front sight and let off the shot. The 'auto centring' ability of the eye with aperture sights is amazing. However, the ludicrous HW trigger position means it will not be 'perfik' until it has been fitted with a Rowan super-set back job, which is an expense too far at the moment.

I have my other HW30II old school project in the back of the cupboard, and my Hammerli 401 project, but like I said it is November and I cannot be arsed.
    A couple of Rekord trigger videos I did...

Strip and polish the sears

https://youtu.be/GFAgEQEPTsM

How to adjust the trigger

https://youtu.be/wckit2cRc24
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

So plan is to

HW77.....

I reckon....as you mention, clean that barrel and get the trigger set up nicely, Al. I love the synthetic KT stock, maybe fill and weight that a little. That will also deaden any resonance, if present. Then try with a selection of pellets again. You may just have a duff batch? Simple things first, and all that.......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    HW77.....

I reckon....as you mention, clean that barrel and get the trigger set up nicely, Al. I love the synthetic KT stock, maybe fill and weight that a little. That will also deaden any resonance, if present. Then try with a selection of pellets again. You may just have a duff batch? Simple things first, and all that.......
    I recon it's Alistair, always been the freaky sort, sold a Prosport to buy a 77, definitely something wrong with you

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thanks Neil and Tony ... will get the bench set up at the weekend and try a little fettling.

Yes Pete I should never have sold your ProSport back to you! Please feel free to remind me whenever necessary ..

I am currently playing with a new 97. Have polished all of the usual's and fitted one of Mr Bums kits. Just waiting for the VMach piston seal. Slotted in a Rowan set back trigger blade (god the pin was tight!) It will be interesting to see how much smoother to shoot she will be, as she was a lively little number when out of the box @ 785fps.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Will this be a competition boinger, Andy?

Just finished my total re-work on one of my TX's. I have a MarkI that is running the shortened comp. tube cap with a lightened LGU piston and seal. It was down on power a bit, so I just took out the LGU piston and seal and dropped the old piston back in. Gained about 10 fps and the firing cycle seems the same. The accuracy never varies, unless I leave out a breech seal or two. I basically added 30-40 gr. of piston weight and about 3 or 4 mm in stroke over the LGU setup while a picked up a tiny bit of lost volume with the factory seal. Bottom line, shot cycle feels the same, accuracy is the same and I've gained about 10 fps. Find an accurate TX and add a fitted guide, job done, as far as tuning a TX goes. I'm joking about the re-work of course. Must have taken at least 5 min. to carry out this job.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Just finished my total re-work on one of my TX's. I have a MarkI that is running the shortened comp. tube cap with a lightened LGU piston and seal. It was down on power a bit, so I just took out the LGU piston and seal and dropped the old piston back in. Gained about 10 fps and the firing cycle seems the same. The accuracy never varies, unless I leave out a breech seal or two. I basically added 30-40 gr. of piston weight and about 3 or 4 mm in stroke over the LGU setup while a picked up a tiny bit of lost volume with the factory seal. Bottom line, shot cycle feels the same, accuracy is the same and I've gained about 10 fps. Find an accurate TX and add a fitted guide, job done, as far as tuning a TX goes. I'm joking about the re-work of course. Must have taken at least 5 min. to carry out this job.
    Is yours a full-power USA spec rifle? They are designed to work at that level so only need little adjustments; to get them perfect at 11.4 fpe the amount of messing about some Brits do is amazing. Like Jon Budd's 22mm piston sleeved down rifle...

I now have 2 diana 280k's on their way to me. One as least will get tuned to within an inch of its life, just to see how good I can get it
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I now have 2 diana 280k's on their way to me. One as least will get tuned to within an inch of its life, just to see how good I can get it
    I just cant see it being better than a tuned 34 but my mind is open don't forget to post a review that would be