Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
My 'main' springer, a Mk 2 MW77 has been at the range for testing. Its either me, the scope or the rifle but it is just not as accurate as I want it to be. I have messed about with its insides a fair bit, fitting a Dave Hall buttoned compression chamber and I cannot remember what kind of piston seal and spring/top hat/guide combo. The groups give me the impression it is probably me, as there is a tiny 5mm cluster plus the looser shots in the group, overall diameter 20mm at 30 yards which is unacceptable. But I cannot be sure it is just me...

One thing is the trigger has too long a second-stage and is a bit - dare I say it? creepy.
Another is that I replaced the beech stock with a plastic KT version, the intention being that the trigger-press will be easier to keep along the axis of the rifle. But the lighter stock might be making the rig more difficult to shoot consistently because of the lack of mass.
Then I am not sure how mucky the barrel is... so it needs cleaning and re-leading.

So plan is to

1. Learn more about the Rekord and get the trigger sorted.
2. Clean the barrel thoroughly and re-lead it.
3. Think about getting a beech HW97 stock to replace the KT.

If none of these work then I might have to look at re-crowning the barrel...

The main problem is that I cannot be arsed to even take the stock off the rifle at the moment. November isn't it?

The other rifle I have been playing with is my custom-stocked HW30S. I have fitted this with a Beeman Sport aperture sight, and it will shoot less than 25 mm at 30 yards. I think this is pretty good for open sights and it is great fun to plink with, no 'finding' the target in the sights, just look at the target, bring the rifle up, line up the front sight and let off the shot. The 'auto centring' ability of the eye with aperture sights is amazing. However, the ludicrous HW trigger position means it will not be 'perfik' until it has been fitted with a Rowan super-set back job, which is an expense too far at the moment.

I have my other HW30II old school project in the back of the cupboard, and my Hammerli 401 project, but like I said it is November and I cannot be arsed.

HW77.....

I reckon....as you mention, clean that barrel and get the trigger set up nicely, Al. I love the synthetic KT stock, maybe fill and weight that a little. That will also deaden any resonance, if present. Then try with a selection of pellets again. You may just have a duff batch? Simple things first, and all that.......