Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer Tuning Projects.

The Tyrant is a BAM B19.
    However, there are differences with the rear block depending on what model is used. SMK XS19's use a stepped block. The Crosman types use a just a single thickness metal block. The retaining pin hole won't line up properly if trying to swap between makes. Tuning kits have to be for the right version, otherwise they won't fit.

Hw 77

I bought a really nice Mk2 HW77 .177 full length at the bash from a well known gentleman on here.
    It had been moth balled since purchase and shot well at the bash with quite a soft feel.
    I knew it was gummed up as the safety would not set.
    when I got home I stripped it, cleaned the piston and chamber, de-burred the cocking slot.
    I had a spare spring and guide from another .22 HW77 that I have. The replacement guide fits the spring nice and snug. It has a shamfered metal baseplate hole that the delron guide fits into.
    I ground and polished the washer on both faces and decided to do the same with the back block just in case it might give a little more rotation on firing. Fitted a spring guide made from a can of St Austell Tribute Ale so we were both nicely lubricated. Ground and polished spring ends a smear of moly. Put back together, chronoed and yes just shy of 13 ft lbs. So strip, cut off two coils and finished ends also removed a preload washer and now around 11 - 11.2.
    I am really pleased with the accuracy and feel of it. It is quicker now with no twang.
    Club meeting tomorrow so it will have good airing!

I have been busy developing my 21mm conversion for the TX i have spent ages looking for a softer spring in the sizes necessary and it turns out I was going in the wrong direction .My problem has been not having enough preload on the spring.I have a come up with an comp tube end cap that gives me a very short trans port enabling me to us less volume without getting into detonation so started to shorten the stroke to find out at what point it starts to diesel, piston is a semi skirt design to maximise spring room and is very light.shortened the stroke in 2mm increments and ended up removing 13mm!! from the stroke far more than i expected this equates to 29cc of volume , and i now have 20mm of preload .
    The 21mm was always a superb shot cycle but now its verging on the ridiculous it still moves but you can barely feel it, and shooting in the yard at 10 yds on 6x mag the crosshairs only move the size of a pellet mark, so need to see if it stays in one piece now , fingers crossed ,oh and its making 11fpe with 8.4 and 11.1 with 7.0

All excellent stuff, chaps, and a mixture of "spit and polish" tunes to full-on re-engineering projects.

Nick, that sounds sublime. Will you be bringing it along to the Spring Springer Bash?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    All excellent stuff, chaps, and a mixture of "spit and polish" tunes to full-on re-engineering projects.

Nick, that sounds sublime. Will you be bringing it along to the Spring Springer Bash?
    You bet

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    The Tyrant is a BAM B19.
    However, there are differences with the rear block depending on what model is used. SMK XS19's use a stepped block. The Crosman types use a just a single thickness metal block. The retaining pin hole won't line up properly if trying to swap between makes. Tuning kits have to be for the right version, otherwise they won't fit.
    interesting - thank you , I had a fiddle with the gun a little , re zero'd the cheap scope , trigger adjusts a little though basic and zero'd it in my garden using AA's rather than the pointed things he was given with kit and managed 3/4inch at 22yds . so thinks its got potential ..

also looking at one of these cheap Webley VMX carbine rifles with the quantum silencer fitted .. now I know they are not Webley and guess Hatsan ,as they look action wise like the 900x or striker or at least the safety at the rear is the same ..

the reason thinking of one is because its cheap pure and simple , but I also like the look synthetic / carbine/big moderator etc..

SO - as anyone made a drop in kit for one of these , or self tuned one

thanks

If you want synthetic and cheap, buy a SMK SYNSG or Hammerli 800 Black Force (same rifle). Both can be picked up new for £100-120. Cloned from the Diana 34 Panther including T05 trigger. They just need a slight fettle to smooth thing off. Far better rifle than the Hatsan 900. I have both.
    If you want to spend a bit more, the 800 can be bought with backdraft mod.

yeah the hammerli 800 blackforce kit looks ok ... do you think overall it is a better budget rifle.

it doesn't have to be synthetic , but must be break barrel , cheap less than £200 and tune able.
    had lots of guns in the past just want something to play with and improve on

thanks for your advice, I think give the vmx a miss , cant find a good review

I bought a TH208 .22, then bought a .177 version. Then my local RFD had a clear out and I couldn't say no to a new boxed SYNSG .22 for fifty quid. They are all the same action. The TH208's have a better external finish, no open sights and come fitted with a barrel weight. That's the only difference.
    Made new spring guide and top hat for one of the TH's and reworked the stock. Also carbined the barrel and fitted a mod instead of the weight. The other two just got a polish and lube job so far. So yes, there is plenty to play with, as I've stated, but the trigger can be improved by adding a second adjustment screw.
    In summary, they are good guns to play with.

gunsnlandies

Thank you for all the really helpful advice

just one more question if I may --

between these 2 the Bam B19 / Remington tyrant variants AND the Hammerli 800 / TH208 / Diana 34 variants which is a better buy as a budget springer I can fine tune my self..

With out a doubt the 208/SYNSG/800 (BAM25) is the better rifle. The unmodified T05 trigger knocks spots off the Gamo cloned ones on the 19 and its variants.
    As has been suggested, the Remmy Express (cross between B25 and B26 which is the HW95 clone) is nice. The only drawback with that is the LOP can be a bit much if you have a short reach.

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    gunsnlandies

Thank you for all the really helpful advice

just one more question if I may --

between these 2 the Bam B19 / Remington tyrant variants AND the Hammerli 800 / TH208 / Diana 34 variants which is a better buy as a budget springer I can fine tune my self..
    If you're after a 19, I have one I'm thinking about letting go...

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Not a springer, but:

I finally got around to working on Mrs Bum's Gunpower edge today. Its a budget 10m target rifle based around the Stealth, and I can tell you its an awful lot better than that sounds! I had it at the badge and it performed very well.

Thus far I had fitted baffles and ting to quieten the thing down for garden use, but one thing that was a worry was the hammer, as the cap'n pointed out, its steel and runs in an aluminium tube! Every time I shot it I had a mental image of bits of swarf building up inside.

Today it came apart, I cut some grooves into it, made some suitable rings, glued them in place and turned them down to fit the tube. It now moves very smoothly up and down with no hint of the graunchy feel you got with steel againt ally.

Consistency is still excellent and power is only fractionally down. The next project is the reg, see If I can't get more out of the little red beastie!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Hartcliffer View Post
    If you're after a 19, I have one I'm thinking about letting go...
    Haven't seen you round the forums lately old mate.

I may be getting a cheapie Supersport in a few days' time.

Another one for the "to do" list!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!