Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer Tuning Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I just cant see it being better than a tuned 34 but my mind is open don't forget to post a review that would be
    I will Barry.
    Its lighter than the 34 and shorter too which makes it better for me.
    It makes more than enough power in .177 (easily) for UK sub 12 needs where the 34 has more than needed.

I'm open minded about it too at the minute and I'll need to see what effect the K barrel has being 100mm shorter than the Pro I have here. I'm thinking there will be negligible power loss.

My main reservation is the t06 trigger. I found the one on my 280 Pro very difficult to get right. Now I have 2 more to sort.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Is yours a full-power USA spec rifle? They are designed to work at that level so only need little adjustments; to get them perfect at 11.4 fpe the amount of messing about some Brits do is amazing. Like Jon Budd's 22mm piston sleeved down rifle...
    All are short stroke 12 ft. lb. models. I do have 2 MarkIII's, but they also have MarkI pistons. I think 1 or 2 have the old FAC MarkII pistons (93 mm stroke) as well. These were stroked in between the old and the current stuff. You can use a softer spring and get easy cocking as well as 12 ft. lbs. I have 8 TX's and it's hard keeping up with the innards details. For sure, all have Maccari Apex seals.

Hi guys bit of advice please -- so I was looking for a cheap springer to tune etc my self , was going to go with a Chinese copy etc .
    Any I ended up buying a HW80 in .177

its hard to shoot , its like new , cocks smooth , breech seal perfect , accuracy is there just inconsistant ( its just me I think ). not chrono'd it as yet.

main problem is its loud , as in at the action ... how can I quieting it down a bit action wise ... not opened it up as yet ...

it gives a fair thock that resonates through the wood work also just a little bit of a twang but not bad .

any thoughts

I just cant see it being better than a tuned 34 but my mind is open don't forget to post a review that would be
    What's your reason for thinking this? The only difference is a shorter stroke and hence a bit more cocking effort.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    What's your reason for thinking this? The only difference is a shorter stroke and hence a bit more cocking effort.
    A few reasons here is one for a start
    https://youtu.be/i1rkJ63tYmk

The 34 has just got what it takes, that's why there is so many versions.

I have a Walther LGU .177 project underway. The plan is to have it set up at approx 14fpe. BMS Precision fully adjustable trigger unit arrivred, and a custom stock is being made, hope to have everything set up by January!

A few reasons here is one for a start
    https://youtu.be/i1rkJ63tYmk

The 34 has just got what it takes, that's why there is so many versions.
    They could of done the same with a 280, I have both and wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different. Have you shot a 280??
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    Hi guys bit of advice please -- so I was looking for a cheap springer to tune etc my self , was going to go with a Chinese copy etc .
    Any I ended up buying a HW80 in .177

its hard to shoot , its like new , cocks smooth , breech seal perfect , accuracy is there just inconsistant ( its just me I think ). not chrono'd it as yet.

main problem is its loud , as in at the action ... how can I quieting it down a bit action wise ... not opened it up as yet ...

it gives a fair thock that resonates through the wood work also just a little bit of a twang but not bad .

any thoughts
    First thing, chrono' it, you'll never know what spring could be lurking in there. For the action to sound so much on firing, I'd have leant towards the piston seal being a bit knackered (if the breech seal is good) or hopefully no-one has opened up the transfer port to get more power (should be about 3.0mm dia). Otherwise, look to strip it down and fit a suitable spring guide and top hat to match the spring (or match a new spring depending upon results). Strip down is pretty straightforward on the '80, but to be cautious on the first stripdown of this one, I'd advocate the use of a spring compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    First thing, chrono' it, you'll never know what spring could be lurking in there. For the action to sound so much on firing, I'd have leant towards the piston seal being a bit knackered (if the breech seal is good) or hopefully no-one has opened up the transfer port to get more power (should be about 3.0mm dia). Otherwise, look to strip it down and fit a suitable spring guide and top hat to match the spring (or match a new spring depending upon results). Strip down is pretty straightforward on the '80, but to be cautious on the first stripdown of this one, I'd advocate the use of a spring compressor.

This is very good advice with any used air rifle, but especially with a used 80. A remarkable number of them, especially older ones, are significantly over the limit, including some that were imported like that - the rest are full of OX Maximiser kits, other huge springs, and drilled out transfer ports.

On the other hand, it may just have dried lube and one of the badly-finished springs that HW were fitting around 5 years ago, and be perfectly legal, just in need of improvement.

Yup, impossible to say without chrono results.

HW80s are quite capable of feeling horrible to shoot when well under the limit, as well as on it or over it.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    They could of done the same with a 280, I have both and wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different. Have you shot a 280??
    Maybe they could have got the 280 to the same standard but the 34 is time tested and shoots effortless also a better stock and a thicker barrel. The 280 is a fine little springer but a nicely set up 34 is a hard break barrel to beat and I think you know that really

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have an SMK B2 sat on the bench like a turd floating in the fruit punch.

#livingthedream
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Maybe they could have got the 280 to the same standard but the 34 is time tested and shoots effortless also a better stock and a thicker barrel. The 280 is a fine little springer but a nicely set up 34 is a hard break barrel to beat and I think you know that really
    Hi Barry, re: the 280 barrels. I have 3 here and 2 are 16mm. One of my K's has a 15mm barrel. The other K and the pro compact are 16mm
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Hi Barry, re: the 280 barrels. I have 3 here and 2 are 16mm. One of my K's has a 15mm barrel. The other K and the pro compact are 16mm
    The 28 and 280 were always 7/8th scale 34's. I would agree with the post above in that they are neither superior to the 34, just different. I do contend that as far as .177 calibre Diana's go , I would have the 34, but in .22 I would be happy with either (standard guns).
    I do not think the stocks are inferior, either, but saying that the ambi "hump" on the 280 is a bit of an acquired taste on the eyeballs. The basic non -stippled 280 Classic is still a nice looking, if plain, gun.

Hi Maxiumus
    I'd possibly question increased cocking effort.
    My 280 pro with a full length barrel could be cocked by a small child. Effortless, though has had a bit of work to smooth things out.
    I think the stroke issue is that the 280 is running near optimum where the 34 being made for higher powers is overspecced and will have a lazier cycle.
    Having said that, none of my 3 280's lack power in any respect. And they are all .177. When set up correctly, the 280 needs careful attention to keep safely under sub 12
    B.A.S.C. member