Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Springer Tuning Projects.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Hmm, might have give my spring the chop then! Currently it's the factory item but with the extra preload of the top hat and thrust washer.
    Steady as you go Max.
    My goals are not necessarily yours.
    I purposely set my springers as I do to be more efficient with express. Check accuracy with express before you chop.
    And if you do, chop carefully. You end up in fine territory with a very small amount of change making a big difference.

On another note. The seal in this 280 is black. I thought they were all blue. So thats me corrected
    B.A.S.C. member

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post

On another note. The seal in this 280 is black. I thought they were all blue. So thats me corrected
    Vortek
    http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/Diana_Piston_Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Yep thats the one.
    thanks
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    Hi guys bit of advice please -- so I was looking for a cheap springer to tune etc my self , was going to go with a Chinese copy etc .
    Any I ended up buying a HW80 in .177

its hard to shoot , its like new , cocks smooth , breech seal perfect , accuracy is there just inconsistant ( its just me I think ). not chrono'd it as yet.

main problem is its loud , as in at the action ... how can I quieting it down a bit action wise ... not opened it up as yet ...

it gives a fair thock that resonates through the wood work also just a little bit of a twang but not bad .

any thoughts

well being playing with this HW80 in 177 , opened her up and she was dry as a bone ...

Not done too much just a regrease with Abby t2 moly grease and clean out the old stuff etc.. put it back together and put 60 shots through . gun is a little better twang wise , but accuracy is much better
    After trying 6 leading brands of pellets AA 4.52 came out tops with a 10 shot group less than 5p piece at 22yards , next best was jsb heavies .. so pretty pleased so far.

Anyway shes still very sensitive so going to do a full clean / polish and put a kit in .... hoping to get 11 / 11.3 ftlb but with possibly a quicker cycle .....

just seen tbt short stroke kits for HW80 ..... would one of these kits help , is it just a straight drop in or does the piston need shortening ???
    gonna also replace spring as its not 100% and the spring guide is loose fit . will chrono it (as is) tomorrow at club , but think it may be under as when I tried bisley mags the twang was earth shattering

Thanks guys

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have an SMK B2 sat on the bench like a turd floating in the fruit punch.

#livingthedream
    Could be worse, could be a HW35, so what's the plan with the B2?

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Could be worse, could be a HW35, so what's the plan with the B2?

Pete
    It belongs to our machinists dad, he just wants to make it work a bit better. Its currently running at a shade under 600 fps.

In .177

I'm not enthused with the idea, but I have some cracking "before" pics of the rust and stock, so it should show an improvement at least.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by darren m View Post
    well being playing with this HW80 in 177 , opened her up and she was dry as a bone ...

Not done too much just a regrease with Abby t2 moly grease and clean out the old stuff etc.. put it back together and put 60 shots through . gun is a little better twang wise , but accuracy is much better
    After trying 6 leading brands of pellets AA 4.52 came out tops with a 10 shot group less than 5p piece at 22yards , next best was jsb heavies .. so pretty pleased so far.

Anyway shes still very sensitive so going to do a full clean / polish and put a kit in .... hoping to get 11 / 11.3 ftlb but with possibly a quicker cycle .....

just seen tbt short stroke kits for HW80 ..... would one of these kits help , is it just a straight drop in or does the piston need shortening ???
    gonna also replace spring as its not 100% and the spring guide is loose fit . will chrono it (as is) tomorrow at club , but think it may be under as when I tried bisley mags the twang was earth shattering

Thanks guys
    I have one of TBT's short stroke kits in my 80. It's a simp!e snap on adaptor so no piston mods and you can remove it with no issues if you wish. The only noticeable thing once fitted is a slack spot in the cocking cycle when you first break the barrel. It does improve the cycle once fitted, but you ideally need it in conjunction with a fitted guide and top hat.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I have one of TBT's short stroke kits in my 80. It's a simp!e snap on adaptor so no piston mods and you can remove it with no issues if you wish.
    I did wonder what he was going to do with the lorry load of butt plugs he got really cheap, ingenious little fellow.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It belongs to our machinists dad, he just wants to make it work a bit better. Its currently running at a shade under 600 fps.

In .177
    sleeve the port down, that'll give you +100 fps and reduce the slam..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I did wonder what he was going to do with the lorry load of butt plugs he got really cheap, ingenious little fellow.

Pete
    I did notice online they are available in two different shades; white and decidely off-white
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Pete
    Little!? I'm very nearly 5' 7"!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I did notice online they are available in two different shades; white and decidely off-white
    You may not think that Nylon 66 being hygroscopic was such an issue, until you consider the application.......

It'll stink for weeks!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I meant in girth

Pete

I meant in girth
    Pete
    so did he

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    My 280 is a standard length 177, and I have 34's in std and factory carbine length, both 177. My 280 "is a little stiffer to cock than the carbine 34 and no where near as easy as the std length 34 The 280 was bought 2nd hand and whilst it looked near mint on the outside the piston had loads of holes drilled in it. Power wise I struggled at first but found the breach seal was not working although in good order. I shimmed it up and that has cured it but it's just doing 11 with super domes, less with everything else.
    The barrel on mine is the same diameter as the 34's and to me the stock is not inferior to the 34 in any way.
    The problem with the 280 when compared to the 34 is its piston.
    Just to the rear of the seal assembly are 2 indentations which fix the head into the end of the piston but it bulges the piston diameter slightly by approx 0.3 mm out of round....or 0.3 mm across top dead centre of the thickest part compared to the rest of the true piston which is otherwise good.
    To ammend this nuisance which causes cylinder wear and and slight noise, chuck the piston along its true area about an inch back from the bulge.....clock it true if needed and skim the bulge off with a Tip tool.
    Only takes 10 mins but transforms the gun.
    The latest 34 from Steyr has no such bulge and a higher quality finish to the piston.
    Both guns need new slide fit guides in Delrin or PEEK....and run beautifully.
    I have routinely out shot the equivalent HW95 with the 34 and by a significant margin.
    I cannot fully inform as to why this is. Trigger control and let off might just to fall to the HW as expected but the 34 trigger not something that would put you at a disadvantage.
    Lock up might just be better ...
    Its since the 34 has been put onto a parachute ....its just so improved. Rifling is outstanding.
    Try a benched group of 20 mm at 50 mts....now try it with the HW....
    The Diana does it despite a less than ideal transfer port too.
    Thus my latest tuning project other than a super smooth 580 fps HW45 is to sleeve my 34 s port to 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    The problem with the 280 when compared to the 34 is its piston.
    Just to the rear of the seal assembly are 2 indentations which fix the head into the end of the piston but it bulges the piston diameter slightly by approx 0.3 mm out of round....or 0.3 mm across top dead centre of the thickest part compared to the rest of the true piston which is otherwise good.
    To ammend this nuisance which causes cylinder wear and and slight noise, chuck the piston along its true area about an inch back from the bulge.....clock it true if needed and skim the bulge off with a Tip tool.
    Only takes 10 mins but transforms the gun.
    The latest 34 from Steyr has no such bulge and a higher quality finish to the piston.
    Both guns need new slide fit guides in Delrin or PEEK....and run beautifully.
    I have routinely out shot the equivalent HW95 with the 34 and by a significant margin.
    I cannot fully inform as to why this is. Trigger control and let off might just to fall to the HW as expected but the 34 trigger not something that would put you at a disadvantage.
    Lock up might just be better ...
    Its since the 34 has been put onto a parachute ....its just so improved. Rifling is outstanding.
    Try a benched group of 20 mm at 50 mts....now try it with the HW....
    The Diana does it despite a less than ideal transfer port too.
    Thus my latest tuning project other than a super smooth 580 fps HW45 is to sleeve my 34 s port to 2.8
    Already cured one out of round piston on my 280 pro about a year ago. The 2 k's I've just bought need doing now. Delrin kits here for both, new springs should be here tomorrow. All in hand
    B.A.S.C. member