Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Die hard springer fan looking a a PCP but

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Die hard springer fan looking a a PCP but

I know nothing about PCPs and have heard that PCPs can blow up, the PCP that I like the look of is the p1000 as you would expect
    but are there some risk with PCPs in hot weather/or if they are dropped and in a car crash/ or is it just the scuba tank that you have to be careful of ?
    As someone who sees airguns as a hobby/sport and is not yet into PCPs these links look a bit concerning after risk free springers.

http://www.ruag.co.uk/userfiles/file...der_recall.pdf

https://www.scubaengineer.com/tank_servicingx.htm

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Risk free springers!? Don't get a PCP if you're worried, certainly not a Diana!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Risk free springers!? Don't get a PCP if you're worried, certainly not a Diana!
    But I like them LOL. So is there a risk with any PCPs?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    But I like them LOL. So is there a risk with any PCPs?
    There's risk with anything Barry. Mostly manageable though. Had my first PCP early 90's. Never experienced an incident with a cylinder or a rifle. Just another set of safety principles to adhere to is all.
    B.A.S.C. member

I too am a die hard springer fan and recently I felt the urge for a PCP. I jumped in well and truly at the deep end and treated myself to a Steyr Hunting 5 and a divers bottle. I know what you mean about thinking they are going ot explode and indeed when I took the bottle to get it filled, the guy was there casually chatting away while filling the bottle as I was staring at it intently waiting in vain for something dramatic to happen.

I still love my springers but I thoroughly enjoy shooting the Steyr too. At the end of the day its all shooting so its all fine with me
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    There's risk with anything Barry. Mostly manageable though. Had my first PCP early 90's. Never experienced an incident with a cylinder or a rifle. Just another set of safety principles to adhere to is all.
    Fair enough but there is a bit of difference between a squashed finger to being blown up, is the risk real?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Fair enough but there is a bit of difference between a squashed finger to being blown up, is the risk real?
    Have you seen a "Help! Where's my face?" Section on here? No. The risk is real but entirely manageable, akin to remembering not to slam your balls in the fridge door each morning.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

have you ever seen how dive cylinders are thrown around on boats ?
    Mine's never left the bedroom other than for filling.
    There are robust inspection and testing practices.
    As for the rifles, keep the tin worm at bay as you would a springer and dont use the rifle as a pry bar or a cricket bat and you'll be ok
    The biggest worry is the P1000, its FUGLY
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Have you seen a "Help! Where's my face?" Section on here? No. The risk is real but entirely manageable, akin to remembering not to slam your balls in the fridge door each morning.
    I did say that I had no experience with PCPs and you seem to be saying that there are no more realistic risks with compressed air guns than spring guns, is that right? unless it is a Diana and that could blow up the world

I did say that I had no experience with PCPs and you seem to be saying that there are no more realistic risks with compressed air guns than spring guns, is that right? unless it is a Diana and that could blow up the world
    Correct, no more real risk unless of course you regularly trap your balls in the fridge door. In that case you should look for a Nerf gun.
    Enjoy the p1000.
    I've thought about that rifle on a few occasions
    B.A.S.C. member

Short answer, NO.

long answer, there is risk to everything, an aerosol of deodorant could explode on the way home from the shop

Pressure vessels are tested to 150% of their safe working pressure, & scuba cylinders are subject to regular testing.

As long as you know what you're doing there's no more risk than crossing a road,
    but as we all know there are stupid people in the world who do things they don't have a clue about "because a bloke in the pub knows someone who did xyz & it was fine"

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Have you ever seen how dive cylinders are thrown around on boats ?
    Mine's never left the bedroom other than for filling.
    There are robust inspection and testing practises.
    As for the rifles, keep the tin worm at bay as you would a springer and don't use the rifle as a pry bar or a cricket bat and you'll be ok
    The biggest worry is the P1000, its FUGLY
    Robs got it spot on, if a cylinder is going to go it will go at the weakest point - which is the O ring, it will hiss like a battered snake and louder than you can whistle, you may even pee a little, but you will be fine!

The chances of one actual exploding are hundreds of thousands to one, I would think that the whole of this forum, with it's thousands of years of combined air gun experience covering probably hundreds of thousands of guns - no one has actually see a cylinder explode unless it was a controlled experiment. (and I'm not counting seals blowing as above which is scary but fairy harmless)

On the dive cylinder bit - I used to dive for around 14 years very frequently and I've seen tanks get dropped 20ft down a pier wall onto Concreat and not be damaged. I've also seen others doing the same and the valve being damaged and guess what - massive O ring failure which was as loud as a firework - people were literal feet away and cacked themselves, but no one got hurt.

Yep - P1000 is the scary bugger

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I actually got into PCPs first then moved over to springers. The biggest risk with the PCPs is boredom

Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

As long as you know what you're doing there's no more risk than crossing a road,
    but as we all know there are stupid people in the world who do things they don't have a clue about "because a bloke in the pub knows someone who did xyz & it was fine"
    So the first thing to do if someone is thinking of getting a PCP is get to know what you are doing first.
    I'm not sure if I would like this PCP shooter living next door
    https://youtu.be/ru-R3FAjYNo

A few questions, should a PCP be left in strong sunlight and can you over fill a PCP.

So the first thing to do if someone is thinking of getting a PCP is get to know what you are doing first.
    I'm not sure if I would like this PCP shooter living next door
    https://youtu.be/ru-R3FAjYNo

A few questions, should a PCP be left in strong sunlight and can you over fill a PCP.
    Never heard of sunlight affecting a PCP to the point it would be dangerous. But you wouldn't "leave" any air rifle anywhere.

Yes you can overfill a PCP. They have a Safe working pressure on them which should not be exceeded. They are tested to a fair degree over that as a safety margin. Most operate best at a pressure below the SWP.

There's very little to learn Barry. A chat with the lads at the local club should give you confidence
    B.A.S.C. member