Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SIG P226 CO2 pellet pistol - any thoughts?

SIG P226 CO2 pellet pistol - any thoughts?

Hi there

First post - please be gentle

I'm considering a pistol as a plinker. I'd like to stick with pellets (commonality of ammo with my .177 rifle, less likely to simply bounce around and require cleanup in awkward places, etc.).

I've got my eye on a P226. Any thoughts? I like the general heft, etc., and the CO2 loading, and the general reminder of days gone by running around the woods shooting cap guns (my Luger and P38 long lost now).

But equally age has left me frustrated with stuff that doesn't work - like pellet guns that don't shoot straight for instance!

So, err, what are the thoughts of the assembled wise ones?

Thanks!

Hiya ,
    I have one and think it’s good , reasonably accurate and realistic with the blowback action .
    It’s reasonably priced also .

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pjw18 View Post
    Hiya ,
    I have one and think it’s good , reasonably accurate and realistic with the blowback action .
    It’s reasonably priced also .

Paul
    Thank you. What pellets do you find work for you?

Never used one. Some reviews suggest they sometimes do not shoot to available points of aim.

Are you especially looking for blowback?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Never used one. Some reviews suggest they sometimes do not shoot to available points of aim.
    Thanks. I looked at at least 1 video on how to remove slide play to apparently resolve that issue by ensuring the slide and barrel remain aligned.

I was instead considering getting something like the USM rail and a red dot sight (although that lot is quite bulky), or just something simple like an under-mount laser.

Of course that presupposes that the barrel is rigid in relation to the frame... but I haven't read anything suggestion that that is not the case.

Hi Denyers,

Welcome to the BBS!

As with all CO2 pistols, there is a compromise to be made. The P226 is very authentic and I too like the heft and of course the blowback action. Less realistic are the faux ejection port, Take Down Lever and Slide release. A plus point is the fake catches are very well reproduced and they look as though they ought to work.

Accuracy wise, the P226 I have is about the most accurate CO2 'clone' I own. I use Excite flatheads and they group within a couple of inches at 6 yards when I shoot rapid fire. Using a two handed grip, the shots strike about an inch low and as the sights can't be adjusted, it does mean aiming slightly high. However, switching to a single handed stance raises the point of impact to the point of aim. I have also experimented with a Parker Hale silencer to add heft and this raises the point of impact to around 2 1/2 inches above the point of aim. The PH silencer is heavy and a lighter one ought to lower the point of impact when using a 2 handed grip. If you decide to opt for a silencer, JSR supply an adaptor for a 1/2 inch UNF thread and remember to go for a fairly slim one such as the PH as a wider silencer may obscure the target during sighting.

Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending the P226 - I love it!

Kind regards,

John

If It’s JM Recommended I might even have a look !

Thanks for the link to the JSR adapter have looked previously and not found one. Agree with the above comments regarding the P226, feels good to shoot, the CO2 loading is the simplest on all my pistols. The aim point on mine is also low and to the left, but easy to compensate for and gives a good amount of shoots per capsule. I use Umarex Mosquito pellets with good results.
    Last edited by mark64; 22-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.

I bought one secondhand - after a few shots the end of the slide broke off!

I had thought the blowback action was incredibly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    If It’s JM Recommended I might even have a look !
    I think you will like it....

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I think you will like it....
    I've not looked at these since they were released, initially I wasn't impressed and the rifles were a real let down, but maybe time to revisit it. I really like Sig guns, and I think my initial hatred for them came partly from me perhaps expecting a couple of airgun unicorns that in hindsight were never going to show up so I probably was unfair and a little harsh in my opinion.

I might have to revisit the pistols for another look, have there been any changes ??
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Hi

I had a p226 and p250. The p226 is weighty and I enjoyed it, the p250 was more 'plasticy' but had a more powerful blowback

Had great fun....

However, accuracy was ok with both but as a garden plinker my lad and me enjoyed them both. Defo use flathead pellets tho ok!

If you're ok with bb's though I would change instantly for a Swiss arms 1911 or Umarex p08. Loads more fun, realistic action and loading. Just watch those rebound bb's tho!

If blowback isn't necessary then I'd go Umarex p92 anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I've not looked at these since they were released, initially I wasn't impressed and the rifles were a real let down, but maybe time to revisit it. I really like Sig guns, and I think my initial hatred for them came partly from me perhaps expecting a couple of airgun unicorns that in hindsight were never going to show up so I probably was unfair and a little harsh in my opinion.

I might have to revisit the pistols for another look, have there been any changes ??
    I agree entirely re the SIG rifles. I have played with a couple at the club and they have a tendency to jam. Also quite low powered and inconsistent for what they are. I don't like the idea of the larger and more expensive CO2 cylinders either as starting a session with one kind of commits you to emptying that cylinder before you leave the range or certainly to within a couple of days of fitting it. Fitting an adaptor for a pair of standard cylinders is probably better but there's also the aspect of more expense...

I have just taken the baffles out of the Parker Hale silencer I experimented with in order to reduce weight and this has resulted in the pistol shooting around an inch and a half high rather than the 2 1/2 inches high it was shooting with the silencer fitted. It also feels more pointable as a result. To be honest, even without the silencer, the pistol shoots accurately enough when I place my sights over the target area and the fact shots impact slightly low mean nothing to the tin cans and fairground skittles I have used as targets.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by gsalmons View Post
    Hi

I had a p226 and p250. The p226 is weighty and I enjoyed it, the p250 was more 'plasticy' but had a more powerful blowback

Had great fun....

However, accuracy was ok with both but as a garden plinker my lad and me enjoyed them both. Defo use flathead pellets tho ok!

If you're ok with bb's though I would change instantly for a Swiss arms 1911 or Umarex p08. Loads more fun, realistic action and loading. Just watch those rebound bb's tho!

If blowback isn't necessary then I'd go Umarex p92 anytime.
    I agree re. the comments about authenticity and this goes back to the compromise I mentioned in an earlier post. The SIG is authentic to a certain degree and yes a 1911 blowback, P08 or Walter P38 are a lot more so, especially as controls work in the same manner as those on the originals and the pistols may be field stripped. The down side is having to use BBs or in my case copper coated lead. Balls are less accurate than lead pellets and whilst accurate enough at tin can ranges of 6 yards or so, they do not group as tightly as pellets from a SIG pistol or Crosman PDM9B.

Decisions, decisions....Do as I did and choose both

John