Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW50s (HW99) .20 calibre project success

HW50s (HW99) .20 calibre project success

If you fancy both the HW99 & the .20 calibre, you might find it interesting that my tuner was able to install a .20 HW95 barrel/breech block onto my .22 HW50s with a few tweaks (I think your UK HW99 is identical to our HW50s). The cocking link from the barrel block to the piston had to be slightly shaved down 7/1000s of an inch on both sides to fit, and in one spot in the stock had to be slightly sanded down in the cocking-arm slot to provide a little extra room for the taller breech block.

Works great, I'm getting cloverleaf groups from the bench at 25 yards using H&N Ftt pellets. The Vortek kit is doing 13 fpe. I think the slightly longer barrel makes the rifle a tad easier to cock too.
    If you'd like to do the same, take note that my tuner said the dimensions of these parts have changed over the years or are subject to change. Both the .20 barrel/block and my HW50s were purchased new in 2016.

Why not just buy a .20 HW95? I tried a HW95 detuned to 12 fpe but wasn't impressed, the firing cycle felt too long & mushy. The 50s has a quick, sharp, satisfying "whack". The HW95 with the FAC spring is a crackin' gun but to me felt too powerful for pesting around the house, & finally I prefer rifles that are shorter/lighter and less hold sensitive.
    Why go thru all this effort? I liked the firing cycle of the larger caliber, & want fewer pass-thrus than a .177 when pesting, and at this power level wanted a flatter trajectory than the .22, so basically I wanted a compromise.
    Was it worth it? For me, absolutely. I only want 1 'do it all' springer and this is my prefered springer power, caliber, & rifle. On the way is a CustomStock & Rowan trigger from the UK. Can't wait!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...W50s_20Cal.jpg
    Last edited by bokes; 21-11-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Good job...

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Tony's going to blow his load over this beauty

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Sounds excellent, bokes; enjoy.

Hey Pete, a cheapie little project Supersport may be joining the Hermann Brigade soon.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by bokes View Post
    If you fancy both the HW99 & the .20 calibre, you might find it interesting that my tuner was able to install a .20 HW95 barrel/breech block onto my .22 HW50s with a few tweaks (I think your UK HW99 is identical to our HW50s). The cocking link from the barrel block to the piston had to be slightly shaved down 7/10,000 of an inch on both sides to fit, and in one spot in the stock had to be slightly sanded down in the cocking-arm slot to provide a little extra room for the slightly taller breech block.

Works great, I'm getting cloverleaf groups from the bench at 25 yards using H&N Ftt pellets. The Vortek kit is doing 13 fpe. I think the slightly longer barrel makes the rifle a tad easier to cock too.
    If you'd like to do the same, take note that my tuner said the dimensions of these parts have changed over the years or are subject to change. Both the .20 barrel/block and my HW50s were purchased new in 2016.

Why not just buy a .20 HW95? I tried a HW95 detuned to 12 fpe but wasn't impressed, the firing cycle felt too long & mushy. The 50s has a quick, sharp, satisfying "whack". The HW95 with the FAC spring is a crackin' gun but to me felt too powerful for pesting around the house, & finally I prefer rifles that are shorter/lighter and less hold sensitive.
    Why go thru all this effort? I liked the firing cycle of the larger caliber, & want fewer pass-thrus than a .177 when pesting, and at this power level wanted a flatter trajectory than the .22, so basically I wanted a compromise.
    Was it worth it? For me, absolutely. I only want 1 'do it all' springer and this is my prefered springer power, caliber, & rifle. On the way is a CustomStock & Rowan trigger from the UK. Can't wait!

So you're using the HW99 cocking link in the original hole in the 95 breech block ? Or the 95 cocking link and shoe ?
    B.A.S.C. member

If you fancy both the HW99 & the .20 calibre, you might find it interesting that my tuner was able to install a .20 HW95 barrel/breech block onto my .22 HW50s with a few tweaks (I think your UK HW99 is identical to our HW50s). The cocking link from the barrel block to the piston had to be slightly shaved down 7/10,000 of an inch on both sides to fit, and in one spot in the stock had to be slightly sanded down in the cocking-arm slot to provide a little extra room for the slightly taller breech block.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    So you're using the HW99 cocking link in the original hole in the 95 breech block ? Or the 95 cocking link and shoe ?
    Short-stroking the HW95 would have been a far less involved option but, hey, there's always fun in the bigger challenge. And the 99's a lovely, more compact platform.

Reading the OP, Rob, it's the former of your two observations. It'd have to be, taking into account the differences with the stock fixings, slots and bridge.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

very interesting. can you put on a full length sideways pic.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sounds excellent, bokes; enjoy.

Hey Pete, a cheapie little project Supersport may be joining the Hermann Brigade soon.
    Blimey, what's going on with you nowadays, I have a tuning kit for one of those tucked away somewhere if you're after one (but I'm sure Tinners will sort you out otherwise)

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Blimey, what's going on with you nowadays, I have a tuning kit for one of those tucked away somewhere if you're after one (but I'm sure Tinners will sort you out otherwise)

Pete
    Cheers, Pete.

Once I get it and I've had a look inside and assessed condition etc (I'm not expecting great things) I'll decide on what route I may go down. If it's generally okay, the idea of a lighter piston and reducing the stroke is something I think I may try.

For some reason, I do miss not having a BSA break barrel. I had a few many years ago - Super Meteor, Mercury, Challenger, Supersport and a Lightning and that gaping breech in .22 just harks back fond memories. Although a PCP, having a go with Les Allam's Spitfire the other week rekindled that need to thumb a pellet into the BSA breech.

I saw a picture of the gun a few months ago and I seem to remember that the stock has been, er, "customised" somewhat. So, if the action isn't a wreck, doing the stock up tastefully or sourcing a Lightning stock will be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers, Pete.

Once I get it and I've had a look inside and assessed condition etc (I'm not expecting great things) I'll decide on what route I may go down. If it's generally okay, the idea of a lighter piston and reducing the stroke is something I think I may try.

For some reason, I do miss not having a BSA break barrel. I had a few many years ago - Super Meteor, Mercury, Challenger, Supersport and a Lightning and that gaping breech in .22 just harks back fond memories. Although a PCP, having a go with Les Allam's Spitfire the other week rekindled that need to thumb a pellet into the BSA breech.

I saw a picture of the gun a few months ago and I seem to remember that the stock has been, er, "customised" somewhat. So, if the action isn't a wreck, doing the stock up tastefully or sourcing a Lightning stock will be in order.
    If it's decent enough then it may be worth getting someone to machine that dreaded breach pin area to accept a Challenger breach bolt and nut set up, I'll have a search for the kit, I got it last year with the hope of finding one of the elusive Supersport SS deluxe models but alas, no joy.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    very interesting. can you put on a full length sideways pic.
    I was going to wait for the new stock to arrive, but here's a full size. Barrel is .8" longer than the original.
    http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...20cal_full.jpg

@rob I'll ask my tuner on tues, he's closed til then. I'm new to springer internals & don't know. I did sent him a Hw95 link, not sure if he used it.

I was going to wait for the new stock to arrive, but here's a full size. Barrel is .8" longer than the original.

@rob I'll ask my tuner on tues, he's closed til then. I'm new to springer internals & don't know. I did sent him a Hw95 link, not sure if he used it.
    not getting pic. lots of advertising but no pic. shame i would have liked to see it. cant get my head around it being 8" longer thats a lot. will you have it shortened and recrowned?

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    not getting pic. lots of advertising but no pic. shame i would have liked to see it. cant get my head around it being 8" longer thats a lot. will you have it shortened and recrowned?
    It looks like photobucket is not working well today, so you can try again later. Also you didn't see the decimal point, the barrel is .8" longer, less than 1 inch.

thanks. interested to know
    B.A.S.C. member

It looks like photobucket is not working well today, so you can try again later. Also you didn't see the decimal point, the barrel is .8" longer, less than 1 inch.
    oh i missed that still not getting pic.