Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hw98

Sorted.

See?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have a few rifles to my collection and I have to say that I do like my HW98 in .22
    I had a HW97 in .177 and then I wanted a .22 I just had to get the HW98 purely because of it's looks. It is also an added bonus that she is so sweet to fire and very accurate.
    The other good thing about her is that she is the only rifle, that I have not taken apart. I have had her from new and as yet there has been no need to do any work on her what so ever.
    I think you will be delighted with your purchase, we will need an update when you have got one. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    Does anyone own an HW98 and what would be your review of it??
    Once the slight twang in mine was sorted it became an outstandingly accurate gun. A bit front heavy but that is a good thing with this gun as it controls the muzzle flip. Frankly I am surprised why more people do not own them. The standard stock is also adjustable for cheek height and butt pad and infact it is a bloody good pratical stock for HFT and even target. I guess the burly men of the airgunning world don't like the extra 1/2 Kg of weight upfront, what a bunch of snow flakes I'd say.

A.G

Mike,

I have an HW95 SuperMatch (HW95SM), which is an HW98 grooved to take a fore-sight.

Wonky Donky installed an ultra-short stroke powerplant, with bearings etc., and as I use it for 'classic' 10m target shooting, I had him set the output to 8.5 ft.lb.

For me, the HW95SM/HW98 are far too front heavy; I drilled out the rear of the stock, and filled it with lead to give a weight of 4.6 kg.

The rifle now balances just in front of the trigger-guard - much better

The HW95SM shoots superbly accurately and has a lovely shot cycle, and with the weight distribution handles superbly as well.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Russ that sounds like an awesome alteration and combination.

Hi Mike
    I'll be at Iden Ferns in the morning if you fancy a try...

Cheers

Steve

get one

You should really get one, I shot 1 a while back, maybe 5 shots and I knew I had to have 1. Mines in 177 for HFT, I did replace the original spring and seal with a Vortek PG2 16 joule kit. Shoots like a dream now, love the heavy barrel, it makes the rifle very stable and accurate, even with standing shots.. Never selling this one!

Oscar
    HW 97 K .177 16 J - HW 99 S .22 16 J - HW 77 K .22 16 J - HW 80 K .22 16 J - HW 98 .177 16 J - Air Arms Pro Elite .177 23 J - Air Arms TX200 mkII .177 16 J - Air Arms TX200 mkII .22 16 J

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Careful Mike, if you get too many HWs you will need to grow a ponytail

Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post

Pete
    Yep, and you certainly wouldn't want that!

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post

Pete
    Embarrassingly years ago I had a wopping pony tail!!! Maybe this explains the HW love!!!

I just bought a new 97 and should have gone for the 98 really. Thought an underlever would be what I really wanted to accompany the 80. I was wrong. Have fitted a kit to try and smooth the action, but when you consider all that a 98 has to offer, especially the weighted barrel, I have been drawn into the "it must be an underlever to be a target rifle." I envisage a swift part exchange very shortly!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I just bought a new 97 and should have gone for the 98 really. Thought an underlever would be what I really wanted to accompany the 80. I was wrong. Have fitted a kit to try and smooth the action, but when you consider all that a 98 has to offer, especially the weighted barrel, I have been drawn into the "it must be an underlever to be a target rifle." I envisage a swift part exchange very shortly!
    Andy
    Nah. The HW98 is a overpriced, unwieldly cannon with too long a stroke and too high a price tag. It's got a back block that's held in by tiles! You made the right choice, the 97K is the target gun. It doesn't need a weighted barrel, it has a built-in silencer, shorter lock time, permanent alignment between scope and barrel, no comparison, it is the stronger action. The 98 has the advantage of an adjustable cheekpiece and butt-pad, but you could add those to the 97 for £20 and the cost of some high density foam and some gaffer tape. How many HFT people use the 98? and how many the 97? go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Nah. The HW98 is a overpriced, unwieldly cannon with too long a stroke and too high a price tag. It's got a back block that's held in by tiles! You made the right choice, the 97K is the target gun. It doesn't need a weighted barrel, it has a built-in silencer, shorter lock time, permanent alignment between scope and barrel, no comparison, it is the stronger action. The 98 has the advantage of an adjustable cheekpiece and butt-pad, but you could add those to the 97 for £20 and the cost of some high density foam and some gaffer tape. How many HFT people use the 98? and how many the 97? go figure...
    After shooting my 98 this morning, I sometime wonder why I use anything else?

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Got to agree with you. Best break barrel I have ever shot. Not a gun I would willingly sell.

Pete
    Pete