Thread: Digging out a neglected gun instead of getting anything new at Christmas

Digging out a neglected gun instead of getting anything new at Christmas

As per thread topic.
    My choices are hw97 , hatsan 55,hw80.

I am trying to source a .25 barrel for the hatsan so that could be a fun project.

Or I Could resemble my 97 into it's cs700 and fit the new( to me) scope panorama 4x12x40 then spend some quality time getting it hft ready I already know it's blistering accurate.

Third choice is get a .25 barrel sent over from eu and try it out on my 80 and 95 .

What's your not so Christmas to yourself.

These all sound like top ideas, Dayglow.

Very often, getting re-acquainted with stuff you already have is most enjoyable and confirms why you went for it in the first place.

And don't you feel an extra-special bond with guns that you've lovingly home fettled and got just right?

I have a few which are sitting awaiting available playtime.

And what I'd like for Christmas right now is some more time off....Christmas Eve falls on my Sunday "on", so unless I hear any different (don't know our hours yet!), I'll be working then.. Off Christmas Day and Boxing Day. And then it's Wednesday. That's my normal day off, but he usually says we can't have our normal days off between Christmas and the New Year, as he's been so kind letting us have the two big days off! Arrgghh.....you never know, he might surprise us! Not holding my breath, mind.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    These all sound like top ideas, Dayglow.

Very often, getting re-acquainted with stuff you already have is most enjoyable and confirms why you went for it in the first place.

And don't you feel an extra-special bond with guns that you've lovingly home fettled and got just right?

I have a few which are sitting awaiting available playtime.

And what I'd like for Christmas right now is some more time off....Christmas Eve falls on my Sunday "on", so unless I hear any different (don't know our hours yet!), I'll be working then.. Off Christmas Day and Boxing Day. And then it's Wednesday. That's my normal day off, but he usually says we can't have our normal days off between Christmas and the New Year, as he's been so kind letting us have the two big days off! Arrgghh.....you never know, he might surprise us! Not holding my breath, mind.

my old boss was like that . he let the polish guy off for two weeks so he could back home to his folks as he hardly saw them (he would take a few days off every few months to go back home ) it was my first christmas after my partner died at the start of the year and i was going to go back down to see my folks but as the polish guy had got there first i was told no. the boss then stopped holidays over christmas as we would be busy( most of the garages closed between christmas and new year ) so we got paid to sweep the floor unless a job came in or we tidied up the workshop( and he went ballistic as he hated the place being tidy as it made it look like we were not busy and not getting customers)

i need to get my theoben evo out and get it zeroed to see if i want to keep it . not fired it since i got in last august other than chronoing it.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Currently "playing"'with a Lefty Fwb 300SU and an early .22 Fenman with very attractive Hyedua stock.
    Don't think Santa will be bringing me any new Airguns.
    “An airgun or two”………

A BSA Scorpion bought new in September 2006.

Topped with a nikko sterling 3-10 42,a tack driver with air arms field 8.6grn,and yet unused for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    my old boss was like that . he let the polish guy off for two weeks so he could back home to his folks as he hardly saw them (he would take a few days off every few months to go back home ) it was my first christmas after my partner died at the start of the year and i was going to go back down to see my folks but as the polish guy had got there first i was told no. the boss then stopped holidays over christmas as we would be busy( most of the garages closed between christmas and new year ) so we got paid to sweep the floor unless a job came in or we tidied up the workshop( and he went ballistic as he hated the place being tidy as it made it look like we were not busy and not getting customers)

i need to get my theoben evo out and get it zeroed to see if i want to keep it . not fired it since i got in last august other than chronoing it.
    That old boss of yours sounds a right ----, Bighit.

Hope you find the time to have a play with the Evo.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post

Don't think Santa will be bringing me any new Airguns.
    Don't think you need any more, John.

But "needs" and "wants" are different!

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    A BSA Scorpion bought new in September 2006.

Topped with a nikko sterling 3-10 42,a tack driver with air arms field 8.6grn,and yet unused for five years.
    Get on it mate I recently spent a week getting my scorpion absolutely knob on .

It now has a hft hamster stock a Brian Sampson butt hook and a scope maximiser so I can put my eye on the exact place its shooting as good as it can shame I used up my best pellets without realising the next tin was a different inferior batch jsb 4.53 bye the way .

2 Diana 280 K's to tune then a Webley raider for a full strip and rebuld
    B.A.S.C. member

That old boss of yours sounds a right ----, Bighit.

Hope you find the time to have a play with the Evo.
    oh he was Tony . i started and there was 5 of us including him and when i left it was just me and him. in 6 years i had 15 work mates come and go. there is only two engine recon places in aberdeen and we were the one with a better reputation. when the oil slump hit there was less repairs getting done as some had lost their jobs or pay cuts so they could no afford to fix their 2nd car.

i was being left in the workshop alone as he went off to feed the birds on hs syndicate . if i took holidays there would be loads of work waiting for me as there was no one there to do it (he would just sit in the office reading the paper or doing his invoices) .his son worked offshore and would come in now and then to help with the jobs i could not do . or cover a few days for holidays .

i worked monday to friday and 8 till 12 saturday for 6 years .only got a saturday off if i was on holiday. he used to come out with fake EU rulings for engineers when there was others working there so they had to work a saturday. if you wanted saturday off if you were going on a night out on friday ,your were told if you did not come in you had no job on monday.
    that's why most left .

i worked all the bank holidays for basic wage rates .i never got they days back . i had to take one week max holidays .

i got a good payout for a crash i was in and he asked if i wanted to join his syndicate . i said yeah but only if i was able to actually go on the shoot days . he then said why is that .i said well i'm the only one that works here and i cant see you closing the place to let me go shooting he then told me to pee off and stormed into his office

he would argue all the time and if you proved him wrong he would go mental.

i did a head one day and set it up to go back on . he told me to take the parts off as if it went boobs up he would have to pay for it . i said it was set up right . just then a VW dealer mechanic came in and he asked him if it was setup right and the mechanic said yes , my old boss never said a word,when the mechainc left he said "what would he know" and i had to take it off .he hated being proved wrong .

he was selling up and i had worked with the guy buying the place before . i did not like him. and i would again be there working alone as he lived 60 miles away and said he would not be in every day so i would have to do the work alone .

i signed up with an agency and handed in my notice before the sale was complete . the old guy that owned went mental. i told him i was leaving on the friday and he then said he would say when i could leave

i said i had signed no contract so i did not know what his contract said. he then tried to get me to sign one that he had from another company

he stormed out when i said no i'm not signing it . the new buyer then pleaded with me to stay and i said no.

i was treated like poop for the rest of the week.

he paid us by cheque on the monday morning and with held it till friday as i left . i was the only earner out of my wife and i and we lived from week to week so we were in the poop if my wages did not clear in time .

the rep for the local parts supplier was in with him and the new buyer when i left . i held my hand out to the boss and he refused to shake my hand . the rep looked shocked . i then left . i was about 30 yards from the door when i remembered i had the keys in my pocket . i slipped back in to hear my old boss bad mouthing me . i entered the office and his chin dropped .

i said here's your keys now shove them up your erse.

due to me leaving he had to close for a week as there was no one there to do the work. the place was sold and hardly any one uses the place now

i know i could have left any time i wanted but i like the job ,in fact i loved it .i just hated the boss and his bullying

we knew if he was in a good mood by the way he shouted at his dog when i got out the range rover . if he swore at it we knew we where in for a bad day .

he did have good days and was good to me but i could count them on one hand .

i left there in 2013 and never looked back .

yeah . i need to get out with the Evo ,i also need to get the HW99s rebuilt . need to refinish the stock and get the tuning kit fitted .

paul
    Last edited by bighit; 25-11-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Bloody hell, Paul!

What an arse!

It's a good job that we have our boingers for therapy. You'll have needed loads!

Bloody hell, Paul!

What an arse!

It's a good job that we have our boingers for therapy. You'll have needed loads!
    i had my nephews HW80k that i found in the barn at the time and got my .22lr in 2012.

i was out nearly every night after work when i had the motorbike running . when it blew up (still got it) i went on a saturday after work or a sunday . just bunnies i was allowed to shoot , or i had made a mild steel target that i used to put at different ranges . then i had to give the HW80k back as my other nephew wanted to use . in 2006 i bought a crosman 2250 kingratcatcher that i hardly used due to the HW80k i sold the 2250 to fund my gun cabinet .. i then got the .22lr in 2012 and used that until 2016 when i bought the Hw99s . i used it a few times and it was galling badly . it was not bad when i bought it .its a 2003 model . so i stripped it then lost interest and bought the EVO . but as i said i have hardly shot it .

i have a permission that's 2 miles from the house (my other one is 9 miles and as i don't drive its a 36 mile round trip for the wife to take me there, come home, then come get me and come home . so the new one is ideal . only vermin again but thats ok. its 40 acres but i have been given more .i need to go and see what i have extra on the map .

one bit is too close to the dual carriageway for the .22lr so i can use the EVO there .if i don't get on with the EVO ,i will try and sell or do a swap for a HW80k as i like them .

i have not been out for about a month due to the weather , if its not raining its very windy or both .

Paul

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I need to get all my guns out next year as I've hardly shot any of them this year, I had to rub some oil into the Airsporters walnut stock the other day as it looked a little dry, that's the only contact I've had with any of them recently.

If I get a bit of spare cash next year (I've been spending most of it on my old Fiesta) then I'm thinking of getting a Diana 34 premium stock (you can by them separately) for my old 34 action (as I can't find a Diana 34 Anniversary model and this will have to do until I do).

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I need to spend time and decide which of my collection I can let go,keep changing my mind,had a thing for Parker Hale Dragons this year,last year it was old pumpers and anything out of the ordinary when will it end----never I hope having met some great people doing it.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Don't think you need any more, John.

But "needs" and "wants" are different!
    Mmmm....now where have I heard that little line before ?
    Oh yes, I remember, every day from the Lady I wed 35 years ago !
    “An airgun or two”………