Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HW 35 won't cock

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Any developments? Im interested to know the cause for future reference.
    I'm away mountainbiking in the Lakes just now and won't get back to it till during the week.
    I will update the post when I find out what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I'll have you know I owned a 1983 HW35e, a proper one in walnut, adorned with an Optima Moonlighter scope no less! I fired maybe ten shots but just felt "dirty". I sold it on to Mikehw45 about 20 minutes later.

The recollection still brings a littlle bit of sick into my mouth.
    The 35's a definite love hate thing. I grew up with a couple of them in my late teens and seriously regretted letting them go. You gave me the opportunity to re-ignite that passion with a beautiful HW35E although slightly harsh at the time. Coincidentally I bumped into a mate of mine who had a brand new genuine 35 spring from years ago which I fitted and is now grouping a treat. I'm going to have to collar you for one of your special delrin kits at the next bash though mate!!!!

Hoorah, problem solved.
    It was a combination of bent cocking dog, a bit of wear in cocking link at breech end and also the roller on the cocking link has worn so that it no longer runs on the cylinder.
    I stuck a spare .177 barrel on that I have and it worked right away .
    Just need to order the spare parts up now. Probably use this as an excuse to turn some delrin guides as well .

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by hammy View Post
    Hoorah, problem solved.
    It was a combination of bent cocking dog, a bit of wear in cocking link at breech end and also the roller on the cocking link has worn so that it no longer runs on the cylinder.
    Just need to order the spare parts up now. Probably use this as an excuse to turn some delrin guides as well .
    Please can I be the first to congratulate you on the fix?

And also the first to say REALLY SMUGLY AND WITH A PATRONISING TONE - 'you want to get some lubrication on that lot of joints, tut tut more's the shame the rifle wore out, what would you rather ten pennorth o'moly or £50 worth of parts? I bought my HW35 in 1973 and shot a hundred pellets a day since then and the dogs, cocking links and rollers look like they just came out of the factory' etc....

Seriously through it is nice to know the end of the mystery, and that another 35 is back in action...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Please can I be the first to congratulate you on the fix?

And also the first to say REALLY SMUGLY AND WITH A PATRONISING TONE - 'you want to get some lubrication on that lot of joints, tut tut more's the shame the rifle wore out, what would you rather ten pennorth o'moly or £50 worth of parts? I bought my HW35 in 1973 and shot a hundred pellets a day since then and the dogs, cocking links and rollers look like they just came out of the factory' etc....

Seriously through it is nice to know the end of the mystery, and that another 35 is back in action...
    LOL it's been lubed well since I had it but not to sure about the previous 30 years.
    But yes it'll soon be back in action as my primary squirrel gun at work, the HW85 is no where near as good.

Glad you're sorted.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hoorah, problem solved.
    So, basically, a bent cocking lever. (See post # 2)

Glad you got it sorted.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    So, basically, a bent cocking lever. (See post # 2)

Glad you got it sorted.
    How does one bend a cocking lever on an HW35? They are built like tanks, and not the Crusader tank, but more something like the Conqueror.

How does one bend a cocking lever on an HW35? They are built like tanks, and not the Crusader tank, but more something like the Conqueror.
    With great difficulty and determination.

Haven't a clue, but I wasn't the one using it last when it stopped working, so I'm saying it wasn't me .
    It's not much of a bend, not really noticeable till you really looked. Just a couple of small creases at the the right angle.

On the example I had, the leather piston seal had expanded and became effectively a brake within the cylinder.

Haven't a clue, but I wasn't the one using it last when it stopped working, so I'm saying it wasn't me .
    It's not much of a bend, not really noticeable till you really looked. Just a couple of small creases at the the right angle.
    Could 'somebody' have fired it by accident while the barrel wasn't fully back up?

Could 'somebody' have fired it by accident while the barrel wasn't fully back up?
    Possibly, I had shown the other person that uses it how to decock it and he's maybe done it wrong!

With great difficulty and determination.
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    On the example I had, the leather piston seal had expanded and became effectively a brake within the cylinder.
    Possibly, I had shown the other person that uses it how to decock it and he's maybe done it wrong!
    Could be a combination of all of these factors plus, maybe, a silly strong spring fitted at some point in the past?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!