Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW 35 won't cock

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    How is the latch end of the Piston rod? Could it be worn where it engages with the trigger? Could it be bent upwards reducing engagement with the trigger? Could it have rotated a little And no longer be engaging properly??
    Rich
    Latch end isn't worn but I'll check it for straightness and if it's rotated.

Thanks for all the replies, more stuff to check .
    I'll probably not get back to this rifle till next week so I'll break out ye olde HW85 for squirrel patrol duties this week .

I have had this with spring problems but the fact it's the same spring is weird .

Could some of the coils have stayed a bit more compressed because of the age and use.

Does the trigger unit cock and fire when set manually out of the gun?

Wobbly (fore & aft) trigger blade when the trigger isn't cocked?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I had this happen a few times when rebuilding Weihrauchs and it was something to do with the order of fitting the Rekord unit & safety. But can't remember how to do it! Puzzled the hell out of me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I had this happen a few times when rebuilding Weihrauchs and it was something to do with the order of fitting the Rekord unit & safety. But can't remember how to do it! Puzzled the hell out of me too.

Thats following a rebuild. According to the o.p. the rifle was working perfectly well the day before ( ... it was fine yesterday....) and there has been no mention of a strip before the problem appeared.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Trigger has to be cocked before installation and when fitting the unit back safety needs to be pressed down until at least one pin is engaged and the safety held by the trigger unit.
    Trigger has to be fired to reset or it wont cock. If trigger hasn't been cocked before installing it wont cock / fire.
    One would assume this has been correctly reassembled.

But the OP has stated it developed the fault where it was previously working. I'd suggest something being out of kilter hence my previous comment about a broke guide leg or other comments about worn piston slot etc meaning piston will not go far enough back to engage.

I guess its also possible that a badly bent spring is tipping the piston and catching the nose of the guide or otherwise preventing cocking. A spring can't become coil bound and OP states its been fitted for 4 years or so.
    Last edited by robs5230; 22-11-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    B.A.S.C. member

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    HW35s are mysterious beasts...

HW35s are mysterious beasts...
    Sure are and not my cup of tea at all but the trigger and safety arrangement is common to all HW models with the rekord trigger.
    Only possible causes are breakage, wear or human error (I guess that would cover every fault though )
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Trigger has to be cocked before installation and when fitting the unit back safety needs to be pressed down until at least one pin is engaged and the safety held by the trigger unit.
    Trigger has to be fired to reset or it wont cock. If trigger hasn't been cocked before installing it wont cock / fire.
    I have fitted Rekord units without cocking them and they have worked but its easier to cock them first. I also relieve the pins so they fit into their holes easier on rebuild .
    I have also got to admit trying to cock a rebuilt HW without first firing the trigger and wondering why it wouldn't cock.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I also relieve the pins so they fit into their holes easier on rebuild .
    Flippin' henry why did I never think of that? Genius is sometimes not being clever but simply thinking in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I have fitted Rekord units without cocking them and they have worked but its easier to cock them first. I also relieve the pins so they fit into their holes easier on rebuild .
    I have also got to admit trying to cock a rebuilt HW without first firing the trigger and wondering why it wouldn't cock.
    Yep we've all done that
    Cocking before installation much easier unless you have third hand
    B.A.S.C. member

Flippin' henry why did I never think of that? Genius is sometimes not being clever but simply thinking in the first place.
    And theres me thinking my sole purpose in life was a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Does the trigger unit cock and fire when set manually out of the gun?

Wobbly (fore & aft) trigger blade when the trigger isn't cocked?
    Yes trigger cocks and fires out of the gun and I always cock it to refit .
    I do have a .177 barrel I could try that has no wear in the linkages.

This has stumped me I've had dozens of HWs to bits and never had this problem , I've even tried another trigger unit in it but it's still the same.

If the cocking arm has bent, could it be fouling the stock screw after the stock has been fitted? I had an arm bend on a 35 previously, but straightened it before I rebuilt.