Thread: scratches on bluing ...

scratches on bluing ...

Is it possible to hide/protect scratches on air rifle bluing???

Yes

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

G96 Gun Blue Cream is also very good. Do some tests on less obvious areas to get used to how it performs.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Scratches

I prefer g96 too , I take care not to go over surrounding bluing at all if it can be helped.I use a item fine enough to just get the paste on the scratch only.

By no means a long lasting alternative but a permanent black marker works well too to disguise

G96 is the best, been using it for 30 years, the HW 35 barrel below was "scratched", see result..

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    I prefer g96 too , I take care not to go over surrounding bluing at all if it can be helped.I use a item fine enough to just get the paste on the scratch only.

By no means a long lasting alternative but a permanent black marker works well too to disguise
    That is good advice, it takes a good eye and steady hand to apply just where it required on small areas.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Nice full barrel bluing

Baz ,
    That's a excellent result on a full barrel with g96 . Looks very even .
    What's you tips ,secret for such a good result.

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    Baz ,
    That's a excellent result on a full barrel with g96 . Looks very even .
    What's you tips ,secret for such a good result.
    Most types of surface rust come off rubbing with medium steel wool and light oil. Try to get the metal as smooth as possible, then thoroughly degrease, I use cellulose thinners, wiping over twice until cloth is clean. Then very slightly warm the steel surface with a heat source and you will see it sweat. Do not heat too much or the G96 will turn to powder. Wipe the sweat off, and using a rough cloth (e.g. towel material) rub the G96 across the surface evenly. It will turn black immediately. After a couple of minutes rinse the surface in water to neutralise the chemical, dry and oil. Make sure you clean out all the nooks and crannies or the blueing paste will start a rust spot.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;7380081]G96 is the best, been using it for 30 years, the HW 35 barrel below was "scratched", see result..

Baz

i did the same with an HW80k. not as bad as the one above . i used philips gel bluing product. it worked well . i never took pics of it . the HW80k was left in a barn .it was there for 18 months or so . had an inch of cow related grime and dust on it .