Thread: Beauty is in the eye …………..

Beauty is in the eye …………..

When I was a boy most air rifles looked like rifles. They were generally long and thin with a metal bit at the top and wooden bit at the bottom. Yes, I agree ….. for many that was regarded as bland and boring.

I’ve just had a wee browse on line and (wow) IMO there are some ‘ugly’ offerings out there now.

I get the function over form concept, I know that variety is the spice of life and I also know that beauty is I the eye of the beholder .... but maybe some designers should have avoided the ‘liquid lunch’ that day.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

I know what you mean. Like something out of Star Wars a lot of them.

There is something pleasing about the lines of a BSA Cadet!

Agree, some luck bloody awful these days. Ohhhh, I'm getting old
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

They're not all bad - I had a Cricket with a synthetic stock that worked very well.

But, you just can't beat a nicely figured bit of walnut and some blued steel.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    When I was a boy most air rifles looked like rifles. They were generally long and thin with a metal bit at the top and wooden bit at the bottom.
    I think that sums up how I regarded them .. no thoughts of beauty at all; just a 'thing' to generate fun. By 'boy' I am relating to about 10 years old. By the time I was about 17 I was lovingly polishing the stock on my (I think) Webley Ranger and caressing the metalwork with an oil cloth.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    I get the function over form concept, I know that variety is the spice of life and I also know that beauty is I the eye of the beholder .... but maybe some designers should have avoided the ‘liquid lunch’ that day.
    Ah bullpups, the Warthogs of the rifle world

Just got a fx wildcat and I think that gun slot perfectly in this post.
    I think it's ugly put purposeful.
    In all honesty I don't give a rats ass what it looks like as long as it shoots straight.
    The fx impact though what were they thinking?
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Or some of those evanix ???
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    But, you just can't beat a nicely figured bit of walnut and some blued steel.
    Even on a hunting gun?
    Good deals with:

The first proper rifle i owned was an air arms jackal so i embraced ugliness at a young age..
    I could also show you a photo of my ex wife to prove the point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Agree, some luck bloody awful these days. Ohhhh, I'm getting old
    I agree with that!
    Especially AA S200's........I think you should get rid!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveo View Post
    Even on a hunting gun?
    Yep.. infact weirdly all my hunting guns including the huntsman classic which is the best bit of walnut I own, are walnut (not all blued though). & My only pleasure gun (not used for hunting) is a laminate 77. Which is blued!..., not even really sure what I was trying to say now!! Lol. Yes to walnut & blue on hunting guns!!! Lol.
    Synthetic is just a bit weird if you ask me...

The manufacturers already have the perfect alternative to walnut & beech & that is laminate I think.. in greens, browns & grey. Its really stable & almost completely impregnated with wood treatment making it really waterproof, (& if it isn't it can't be hard to make it so!) & If the colour is an issue then just stain it darker.
    As op says it's just personal preference.
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.