Strange problem I've encountered. I'm no expert but have done a few stocks in my time so yesterday was surprised when I encountered something I've not come across before. After steaming the dents out of a stock and rubbing down with 250 grit then wiping the stock down with spirit I then applied the stain (water based CCL) and it refused to take in certain areas, just would not penetrate. The timber in these areas has a slightly different texture, it looks almost shiny or polished and this texture seems to run deep. I rubbed down these areas again but still the stain didn't take, as I expected due to this strange texture still being there. These areas I think are possibly where most of the dents were so do you guys know if there is such a thing as over steaming, whereby the texture of the wood changes and the grain goes so tight the stain can't penetrate ? I can't think of what else this could be as there is no sign of oil or grease which has penetrated the wood, it's just really weird. I've now got the job of trying to remove the stain in the areas where it took, probably going to have to use wood bleach or something as I can't remove any more wood in areas like where the recoil pad goes, and then try and open the grain somehow on these shiny places. Not sure exactly what the wood is, at first it looked like walnut but I now think it could be maple. Any advice will be appreciated.