Thread: Re-doing White/Gold Infilling?

Re-doing White/Gold Infilling?

Like what's used on the stamped lettering on the earlier Webley and BSA rifles. I've got one or to where it's pretty much all gone, presumably attacked by oils & solvents over the years.

Has anyone any tips on reapplying it to reproduce factory standard?

I have one or two ideas but would be interested to hear if anyone's actually done it.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Like what's used on the stamped lettering on the earlier Webley and BSA rifles. I've got one or to where it's pretty much all gone, presumably attacked by oils & solvents over the years.

Has anyone any tips on reapplying it to reproduce factory standard?

I have one or two ideas but would be interested to hear if anyone's actually done it.

Cheers
    Greg
    Doing it all the time, especially Webley pistols, it really sets them off. Degrease the area with cellulose thinners, brush white or red model paint across the whole lettering area and wipe across the surface with a rag. The stamped lettering remains full of paint, looks like new.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I cant add to the thread from the aspect of having undertaken any refurbishment of gold lettering but I was only thinking on this subject the other day.

Don't older style markings such as these picked out in gold, look so much better than the modern method of either some form of chemical etching or bland stamping?

I used to see these guns in the racks of my local sports shop as a kid and they appeared to ooze quality to me. But this (chemical?) etching that in particular you now find on Dianas I think is utter pants. I would guess you would totally loose that in a re blue for example?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Doing it all the time, especially Webley pistols, it really sets them off. Degrease the area with cellulose thinners, brush white or red model paint across the whole lettering area and wipe across the surface with a rag. The stamped lettering remains full of paint, looks like new.

Baz
    I used this method with a Meteor that needed cosmetic surgery and it worked very well. It did take a few attempts though as if you are too rushed you can end up removing the paint from the grooves as you clean the area. I think the nature of the rag you use also affects the results.
    I seem to remember there was recently a post on here about doing just this sort of job and someone suggested using wax crayon as well.
    Cheers, Phil

white lettering

i had tippex recommended to me and it worked a treat,wipe off the excess and it leaves pure white, a little too white maybe.i think off white would be better as it looks a little aged.the factory lettering becomes soaked with oil and yellows,eventually it comes off when wiping the metal down.easy to replace. atb

I've redone lettering before the same way as has already been explained. Degrease the area and in my case used a gold pen, (the ones that you use for Christmas cards), fill in the lettering and let it dry. In my case I then used fine wire wool and a drop of oil by wiping over the area until it comes off apart from the lettering. Looks really nice too.
    Fozzy
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/124581.../shares/d3yN61

Thanks guys. What you've said is pretty much what I'd planned to do. Thought I'd let it dry then card off the excess with a plastic scraper or similar.

My other idea was to brush white powder coating powder into the lettering, dust off the excess, then put the heat gun on it to melt and set the powder.

Cheers
    Greg

White Lettering

As a youngster I used white or yellow crayons rubbed over the lettering, and the excess polished off. Surprisingly durable and reversible if necessary.

You are still a youngster in this section of the Forum Andrew.

Air drying acrylic from Hobbycraft worked well for me,matched the BSA finish well.

Did pre-war roll stamped air rifles have 'coloured' markings when new ?????

I know Webley Senior etc did.

Renovating Webley lettering

I use left-over Magnolia emulsion! Degrease the area to be worked on with cellulose thinners and rub clean with paper tissues. Brush the emulsion on to cover the lettering, then let it dry for an hour. It can then be rubbed gently with fine dry wire wool to remove the excess. Works a treat, and gives a nice off-white "used" look. looks even better when lightly oiled.
    Last edited by webman; 29-11-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I use left-over Magnolia emulsion! Degrease the area to be worked on with cellulose thinners and rub clean with paper tissues. Brush the emulsion on to cover the lettering, then let it dry for an hour. It can then be rubbed gently with fine dry wire wool to remove the excess. Works a treat, and gives a nice off-white "used" look. looks even better when lightly oiled.
    Now that's a good idea! Thinking about it, emulsion would be a pretty good match to the original chalky stuff that was used.

I've still not tried anything yet! Think doing gold will be my first job so will get one of the Christmas pens as someone suggested.

Great suggestions guys, all much appreciated!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    Now that's a good idea! Thinking about it, emulsion would be a pretty good match to the original chalky stuff that was used.

I've still not tried anything yet! Think doing gold will be my first job so will get one of the Christmas pens as someone suggested.

Great suggestions guys, all much appreciated!

Cheers
    Greg
    I have asked a few knowledgeable collectors about this and they seem to be of an opinion that the original roll stamped Webley and BSA rifles were left plain

I like the lettering hi-lighted in gold on the Webley Service but only seen 3....

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have asked a few knowledgeable collectors about this and they seem to be of an opinion that the original roll stamped Webley and BSA rifles were left plain

I like the lettering hi-lighted in gold on the Webley Service but only seen 3....
    The mk3's were done as standard weren't they? Every one I've seen has (or has the remains of) white infilling in the lettering.

I'm not as certain with BSA's but definitely had a few old ones with white lettering (whether it was original or not I don't know).

The 80's Webley's is what I've seen the gold used on; Osprey, Tracker, Vulcan etc.

Cheers
    Greg