Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bizarre is this?

How bizarre is this?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...pump+taploader

Up for sale on the auction site in the US. It seems to have some prewar hallmarks and to be homemade, possibly? The travel of the slide (if that is what it is) looks extremely short, or am I missing something?

Is it a CO2 rifle, with the slide only used for cocking? If so, why the large cylinder with cocking knob at the rear?
    Last edited by Garvin; 23-11-2017 at 03:47 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Up for sale on the auction site in the US. It seems to have some prewar hallmarks and to be homemade, possibly? The travel of the slide (if that is what it is) looks extremely short, or am I missing something?

Is it a CO2 rifle, with the slide only used for cocking? If so, why the large cylinder with cocking knob at the rear?
    Had an idea it was CO2 charged but just noticed the two screws in the CO2 "chamber" which shows something is pushed back by the pump fore end, unless there is a tube surrounding the chamber. Tap operated by knurled knob. Could also be a "bicycle pump" type charger similar to Bahco and Excellent design. Knob at back cocks the valve hammer. Weird.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 23-11-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

At the moment only "bicycle" pumping air into the big chamber seems to make sense ?

Baz

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

That is an odd looking thing and I've looked at the pics and tried to work out something that would be practical or what it would be if I had the skills to make something like that. As I know very little about Co2 or pumpers it will be a bit of a wild guess.
    How about a single stroke pumper with an automatic tap and the knob at the back cocks the trigger?
    My thinking is that you put a pellet into the open tap, cock the guin once, which turns the tap into the closed position (a bit like a mk1/m2 Airsporter in reverse), then you pull the knob at the back of the cylinder to cock the trigger-------------BUT I cannot work out how the tap would go back to the open position without some sort of sprung thing. The other idea is that the knob at the back turns the tap ---------------1 pump charges the gun and sets the trigger and then you pull/push the knob at the back of the cylinder to turn the tap.
    I'd love to know how it works.

PS---I said "Single stroke pumper" as I think it would be a low powered plinker rather than anything serious.
    Last edited by ggggr; 24-11-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: PS
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    That is an odd looking thing and I've looked at the pics and tried to work out something that would be practical or what it would be if I had the skills to make something like that. As I know very little about Co2 or pumpers it will be a bit of a wild guess.
    How about a single stroke pumper with an automatic tap and the knob at the back cocks the trigger?
    My thinking is that you put a pellet into the open tap, cock the guin once, which turns the tap into the closed position (a bit like a mk1/m2 Airsporter in reverse), then you pull the knob at the back of the cylinder to cock the trigger-------------BUT I cannot work out how the tap would go back to the open position without some sort of sprung thing. The other idea is that the knob at the back turns the tap ---------------1 pump charges the gun and sets the trigger and then you pull/push the knob at the back of the cylinder to turn the tap.
    I'd love to know how it works.
    No ways one pump would have any power at all, this would take a heck of a load of pumps to charge with the short stroke it has. Most inline pumpers have quite a long stroke.The tap is simply operated with either of the two thin serrated wheels on either side of it.
    Studying it again I can't see how you develop enough pressure with the small volume of air in the pump to compress it enough to open the reservoir valve. Normally you need a high starting volume to compress down to high pressure.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 24-11-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Interesting, but looks like it's a pump up going by the damage to the slide, the forend is at half pump position. Perhaps it's one you pump up then top up after each ️shot?. Can't be very powerful, looks like the butt has been used as a priest.😊has that butt been cut length ways?....
    snarepeg.

Could it be a bulk fill co2 from the back? With a pump system in case you ran out? The rack cocking the gun.
    It's certainly an interesting subject.
    snarepeg.

The butt looks like it was made from 2 planks glued together to get the desired thickness but the glue is now failing/has failed!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Went pretty cheap at $356.

I'm reasonably sure that this is a pump up pneumatic; the hinge at the front of the forearm speaks to that. Really hard to say much more without seeing the forearm lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Went pretty cheap at $356.

I'm reasonably sure that this is a pump up pneumatic; the hinge at the front of the forearm speaks to that. Really hard to say much more without seeing the forearm lowered.
    Then the photo doesn't make sense. That means the pump arm metal goes all the way back to the trigger unit and seems to go under the it. If the whole pump lever goes back right to the stock, why is the pump handle so far forward (much less leverage). Also there is a small bracket with two screws which seems to be locking the "lever" to the tube above

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 26-11-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Then the photo doesn't make sense. That means the pump arm metal goes all the way back to the trigger unit and seems to go under the it. If the whole pump lever goes back right to the stock, why is the pump handle so far forward (much less leverage). Also there is a small bracket with two screws which seems to be locking the "lever" to the tube above

Baz
    I see the same things but how else to explain the large pivot at the front end of the forearm? I would assume that the forearm wood covers up the area where the pump lever breaks from the body of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I see the same things but how else to explain the large pivot at the front end of the forearm? I would assume that the forearm wood covers up the area where the pump lever breaks from the body of the gun.
    I also wondered about this but then I started to see not a pivot bolt but instead just a means of fixing the pressed steel 'slide body' to the barrel/tube bracket above it...?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I also wondered about this but then I started to see not a pivot bolt but instead just a means of fixing the pressed steel 'slide body' to the barrel/tube bracket above it...?
    And that's all I see, a means of fixing.
    No way does that forend pull down as a pump, it's certainly a trombone action going on the wear and contact damage in the top slide. Hopefully it will come to light but then it won't give us any more to debate.
    snarepeg.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    And that's all I see, a means of fixing.
    No way does that forend pull down as a pump, it's certainly a trombone action going on the wear and contact damage in the top slide. Hopefully it will come to light but then it won't give us any more to debate.
    That is what I was thinking. As the gun looks quite flimsy, I was seeng it as a very low powered plinker. I cannot understand why is the tap (which I was hoping might be automatic) does not have a lever on it instead of those knurled bits unless it was so it could be used left or right handed.
    I was wondering if that barrel comes off a Relum Tornado?
    Last edited by ggggr; 27-11-2017 at 09:10 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Looking at the forsight, BSA ???
    snarepeg.