Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a beginner - should I buy this rifle?

I'm a beginner - should I buy this rifle?

Hi

I'm a beginner and I know nothing, at least not much except that I fancy having a go at target shooting with an air rifle. My garden is fairly large with fields behind so I reckon I will be okay shooting there. I have no issues with my archery in the garden.

Anyway, I can't find a club in my area - I live near Sunderland - so I have no-one to really ask for advice.

I had intended to get a new rifle but I have been offered a Weihrauch HW77K .177 with walnut stock which seems to be in excellent condition. However, its a 1984 model so its over thirty years old. It comes with scope, strap, bag and a few tins of pellets. The guy wants £300. My problem is that I just don't know if firstly it would be an okay gun for me, and secondly whether or not the price is fair - it seems a lot compared to new kit. Obviously there is also the issue of whether or not the rifle is mechanically sound. For the price that the gun is being offered for I am more tempted to pay extra and get something new.

Any advice appreciated - like I say, I know practically nothing.....

Cheers.......

Microbus

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Hello and welcome. That gun is better than most you can buy new. Check the condition, tell us specifically which stock it has as it sounds like a custom one.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Mate welcome to the BBS Your not far from me, I you want to chat about anything airgun please feel free to ask. As far as I'm aware the 77 never came with a walnut stock as standard, it maybe a aftermarket one, or sometimes the less informed or even dodgy, will say a walnut FINISHED stock, is a walnut stock. I have a 77k from 1989 and it's a cracker, as a rule, earlier 77,s are more sort after than later ones, mainly down to the 25mm piston as apposed to the newer 26mm one. The 25mm gives a nicer shooting experience

Hi there,

I prefer to buy new if I can but that's just me. I've seen some fantastic used kit being sold and bought also. I've actually just purchased a new HW77 and they are a cracking gun to shoot. I think new it cost me £389 if I remember rightly. If you get a new one it will obviously be standard and if you wish you can alter it to your own needs. The trigger units of the Weihrauch rifles are superb and a wide range of other manufacturers have based their own trigger units on these. Some people will say the older engineering such as the 1984 HW77 is better than the modern versions which I think applies to many things these days. I also picked up a 1983 Weihrauch HW35 from another fine gent on the forum (tinbum) and the quality of it is beautiful. The best thing to do would be to try a few before you buy as they all have they differences.

good luck

What those guys said.

The early (1984) HW77 is one of the best and most iconic spring air rifles ever.

£300 is a lot for the stock model. Depending on condition.

£300 is a not a bad price for one with a contemporary 1980s walnut/custom stock.

There is, I think, nothing better new at that price than on old 77. The question is whether (condition?) you are being offered a stock model in OK condition (£150?), one in great condition (£200?), or something with nice extras/tuning - which would justify £300, maybe.

If it has a Venom sticker on it, grab it and re-sell for £450 minimum.

Sorry, Can't help about the gun, but unless you own the fields behind your garden you still need a backstop as it's a specific legal offence for airgun pellets to "leave your property".

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Sorry, Can't help about the gun, but unless you own the fields behind your garden you still need a backstop as it's a specific legal offence for airgun pellets to "leave your property".
    Very good and correct point that I missed.

If you’re looking for a club, bob dunkley’s isn’t too far away. Bout 10 miles north of Boro

Hi Microbus and a very warm welcome to the forum.

There's a huge wealth of knowledge on here and these friendly people will willingly and freely offer advice and views.

You've already received some excellent advice up above.

Firstly, Mike speaks wise words and it would be a very good idea to, at the very least handle and, even better, try out as many guns as you can to see which you feel will suit your needs.

An earlier HW77 is indeed a very fine rifle. It has a smaller diameter piston (25mm vs 26m) than the later versions. This smaller, lighter piston bestows a slightly milder firing cycle than the later one. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the later ones. Lots have been sold and the rifle has a very strong, loyal fan base.

Buying used.....maybe tricky to a newcomer. The rifle may be an absolute mint example. It may have been professionally tuned. Or "home tuned" by a careful, knowledgable enthusiast. But it may also suffered at the hands of many owners at that age, and many of them may have subjected it to all manners of evil, bodgery and hamfistedness. Even the mighty, well-engineered Weihrauch rifles can succumb to idiot spannering. But, if it's a good one..

There are many rifles which are worthy of consideration. Many could be bought new at the price point mentioned. Some a little more. Or it might net you a mint, nearly new example.

This little list won't be exhaustive and other rifles will also have their devotees. But I'd be looking at - Weihrauch HW30S, HW99S, HW35, HW95, HW98, HW77 and HW97. Air Arms TX200 and TX200HC. Walther LGV and LGU. All of these are "full UK legal limit power" apart from the little HW30S. But, if you're not looking at hunting (beyond 20 yards or so) or shooting at targets at 45+ yards, this little rifle is very, very accurate and also very forgiving. Diana rifles are also quality rifles and have a strong following, but there are plenty of people out there more qualified than I to comment on them.

Hope this helps a llittle and feel free to keep shouting up. Nothing's a silly question and you're in good hands here.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Just a word to the wise.
    A serial number may indicate that the rifle "should have " a 25mm piston but is no guarantee it "does have".

Buy carefully.
    That would be a lot of money for something it may not be.
    B.A.S.C. member

If its the factory standard Walnut stock which is a rare beast & correct for 1984 which makes it a MK1 it should have the 25mm internals,In which case then £300 is fair.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I would buy a new 77k with the summer forest stock.
    Master Debater

Many thanks!

Wow....

Many thanks to everyone for their advice, both about the purchase as well as shooting in my garden.

I have bought the rifle after negotiation for £200. This includes scope, strap, bag and 4 tins of pellets.

I had to make a decision on whether to go for it or not, so I did. Fingers crossed!

I'll post up some pictures of it in the morning. It looks lovely......

Nice one, and the price paid sounds so much nicer than the original figure quoted.

If she's a nice one (and especially if it's still in its original 25mm format), that sounds pretty much a bargain.

Now, all you need to do is get to know it intimately. Use it as often as you can. Learn the basic care requirements. Learn the required techniques for safe, accurate shooting and ENJOY.

What pellets do you have?

Oh, and you really should attend a Boinger Bash where you'll meet many of the nice people from the BBS in a safe, relaxed and enjoyable environment.

Shout up for any further help / advice.

BOING!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Well done.
    Price is right now.