Thread: Original Mod 45 Safety dont work

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Original Mod 45 Safety dont work

Just bought one of these and very pleased with it, however the safety doesnt work. When you cock the rifle the safety pops out and shows safe ( but it aint and will fire when the trigger is pulled ) does anyone know about how to fix this or had the problem themselves?
    Last edited by schony; 30-11-2017 at 07:32 AM.

Safety

Attached to the safety that pops out underneath is a piece of thin steel, once the safety is on it covers a stop pip or what ever it's called on the trigger stopping it moving when pulled., common for these to be bent so not covering in correct place or snapped off.
    Original put out a recall for these ,few were replaced for a solid plastic unit .
    Not dif to replace if broken or gently bend back straight

Quote Originally Posted by original45 View Post
    Attached to the safety that pops out underneath is a piece of thin steel, once the safety is on it covers a stop pip or what ever it's called on the trigger stopping it moving when pulled., common for these to be bent so not covering in correct place or snapped off.
    Original put out a recall for these ,few were replaced for a solid plastic unit .
    Thankyou for that. I am a bit nervous as I heard the trigger can be difficult to re fix

Trigger

This can be done with just the action out of the stock if it just needs bending back or adjustment to the pins depth.

This can be done with just the action out of the stock if it just needs bending back or adjustment to the pins depth.
    Thankyou. That i can manage

Be aware the sears wear out quicker than you might expect!

They changed the safety after around serial 245000, according to John Weeks' Airgun Book. My recollection is that the early ones in particular could become unsafe in the way you suggest.

The same goes, incidentally, for the safety on the FWB Sport, which FWB never changed. I had one that would fire when the safety was released. Eek.

Always use safety catches. But never rely on them.

Beeman states in his blue Book of Airguns that the longer safety was recalled because they were faulty.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Beeman states in his blue Book of Airguns that the longer safety was recalled because they were faulty.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    They changed the safety after around serial 245000, according to John Weeks' Airgun Book. My recollection is that the early ones in particular could become unsafe in the way you suggest.

The same goes, incidentally, for the safety on the FWB Sport, which FWB never changed. I had one that would fire when the safety was released. Eek.

Always use safety catches. But never rely on them.
    My serial is 295512

Original 45 Tried to send you a pm but your storage is full, you need to clear some space.

Inbox

Cleared ,sorry