Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm a beginner - should I buy this rifle?

What a bargain & nice grain on the stock.

Period one piece as well.Its a MK1 with the looks of it with shallow cut out, early SN,small stamping & the pointed pellet first.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    beautiful gun, you got it for about half price

the mount looks like a supamount - the rings can be individually offset from the clamping base by the use of small square shims to ensure correct alignment. Not exactly essential, but an interesting period mount.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Bargain of a rifle there, how come I never find these?

As mentioned above superb rifles and you won't go far wrong with it.

Matt

P.s. if it isn't your thing, give me a shout....it's worth a try

I was half expecting to see the picture and he'd bought a Venom, but we're all still in hope of finding a £200 Varminter

I've an early (1984) 77, best power is around 10.50. These should be smooth, not harsh. Good buy there mate.
    BSA Meteor .22 - the mans calibre

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Mate welcome to the BBS Your not far from me, I you want to chat about anything airgun please feel free to ask. As far as I'm aware the 77 never came with a walnut stock as standard, it maybe a aftermarket one, or sometimes the less informed or even dodgy, will say a walnut FINISHED stock, is a walnut stock. I have a 77k from 1989 and it's a cracker, as a rule, earlier 77,s are more sort after than later ones, mainly down to the 25mm piston as apposed to the newer 26mm one. The 25mm gives a nicer shooting experience
    it did there were some early ones.

good guns the 77s

You may well have got yourself a £400 plus rifle there.
    How it shoots is the next thing to find out. It may well tac drive already.
    It may need a more sophisticated scope as you progress, start saving.

As your first serious rifle it should be a keeper so look after it. (If you hammer that rifle and not look after it it will halve in value in no time. But you are not going to do that, buy some gun oil to wipe it down every outing). It should take you to the level where you will know what you want from a rifle to more suit your shooting. That next rifle is likely to be a PCP, next year.

In the mean time sort your range out and get through some pellets. Get out and meet fellow air rifle shooters. There is a whole lot of fun to be had. At the early shooting stage buying and swopping kit is common so second hand is the way to do it; you have started well.
    ATB

Cracking rifle. And a good price depending on condition. Good gun to start with.