Thread: steyr challenge hunter or hft

steyr challenge hunter or hft

Any one using these? Would like to know more about them, and think their available in .20 and .22.

I've had a go of the HFT model at the range, lovely bit of kit I'd have one in a heartbeat, just wish I could afford one You can only have it in .177 though, the Hunting model is the one that comes in .177, .20 and .22. The Hunting is bigger/longer barreled, much prefer the stubbier HFT, balances really well with the usual Steyr accuracy but a bit OTT ergonomics wise for anything but target work.

Dont like the look of the long barrel on the hunter version, cutting down my guns, so looking for that one special set up. Might go down this road????

Personally I would now go for the HFT. Just get yourself a Steyr "double cone stripper" to go with it. The gun will do anything, although it makes a lot of noise in the process in that format, although there is nothing stopping you from fitting an adaptor and moderator.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Yes will be used for hunting, like the full dovetail. Can fit my scope forward and get better eye relief with my nv add-on.

The Hunter HFT model has the shorter barrel.

A mate of mine has a brand new challenge - it’s absolutely beautiful to shoot, very quick but totally dead.
    I’ve owned around 8 steyrs and none have shot like this one of my mates. If I were to swap my springers for PCP’s for FT, I’d buy one immediately.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I must admit that I too have been impressed with the new Challenge. Wasn't sure at first with the barrel now being supported in two separate places rather than one, but they certainly continue to work well. The examples i have shot certainly felt at least as good as the few LG110s I have owned over the years. Even though I now shoot an Anschutz for competition, I still think of Steyr as the best target gun out of the box that requires no modification.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Steyr's haven't changed much in the past couple of decades. The Challenge is a very nice gun but internally it's the same as a 110 and the 100 before it. Over the years the firing valve design has changed and so has the hammer but these items can be bought and retro fitted anyway. The way a Steyr feels is down to how the rifle is set up and we all know that even a brand new gun can be a 'friday afternoon special'. The reg pressure vs hammer spring tension vs firing valve spring vs stabiliser set up is the key, it may sound complicated but it's not as they are an easy enough rifle to self service and get 'right'. Steyr's are also good when it comes to barrrel swaps as long as the barrel is machined to fit the breech it's 2 screws and 5 minutes to swap the barrel/cal over and a minor tweak of the power adjuster to reset power.

IMHO the problems people have with Steyrs are that because they are easy to work on.....then people tend to tinker and get it wrong. If a shooter isn't aware how easy the problems are to sort then the 'Lemon' rifle starts to do the rounds from owner to owner. There have been barrel problems in the past but they were few and far between and Steyr have been spot on with replacing the ones that have been located...mostly on the longer chassis 2104 FT models, but not exclusively. Steyrs can be pellet fussy, more so the newer models for some reason but once you find the right pellet they are difficult to beat for accuracy, fit, lock time and maintainability.

Things to look out for if buying SH.
    Check that the cocking lever doesn't grab when pulling back or pushing forward. Grabbing could indicate a worn bearing and/or cocking lever. Easy enough fix though and approx £60 in parts.
    Check that the transfer port is the black one. Or if another colour that it's drilled to 4mm.
    Ask if the rifle leaks overnight, it could indicate a new firing valve is needed or that the cylinder has a leak.
    Ask to shoot the rifle for a full fill as you'll see any grouping issues and try to record how many shots you get from 190 bar down to 100bar.
    Remove the pin and black plastic plug from the rear of the chassis, put your thumb inside and cock the rifle, you'll feel the stabiliser engage against your thumb, push the cocking lever forward and press the latch o top of the bolt , open the cocking lever again and you should see the end of the stabilser, it should be flush with the end of the chassis or approx 5mm outside. this will let you know the stabilser is set correctly but not that it works with each shot. That has to be done with the 'feel' of the rifle per shot. Again an easy enough fix if i's not working correctly.

If you buy the Hunter or HP version you'll soon be wanting the HFT/FT versions as the fit is way more adjustable.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 27-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Just done a deal with Lloyd at blackpool air rifles, for a steyr lg 110 hft. Its got the adjustment on the cheek piece and hamster. Not getting it till after new year😉 need a black transfer port, does that increase shot count?

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Just done a deal with Lloyd at blackpool air rifles, for a steyr lg 110 hft. Its got the adjustment on the cheek piece and hamster. Not getting it till after new year�� need a black transfer port, does that increase shot count?
    Hi Mate, Good choice. BAR are sound to deal with.

Does it have the Green or Silver port? The port size should be 4mm Dia so having the silver/green/gold port isn't necessarily bad as it may have been opened up. If not then i've got a new black port.

If you were closer i would have fitted it and made sure it was all set up nice for you but i can explain it here.

Remove the old port and re-fit new black port, a bit of care should be taken if a tight fit as it's easy to damage the bit of the port that takes the allen key, also the port fits at a slight angle (towards the rear). If really tight then it would be a good idea to remove the pistol grip and the trigger guard. At the very rear of the block you will see two bolts, if you slacken them off then the port should be easier to remove/re-fit, i only need to do ths on maybe 1 in 20 though. Once you have the new port fitted (and the block bolts tightend if slackened) then you need to make sure that when the bolt closes there should be a positive click from the cocking lever as it locks into place. Also the bolt should close smoothly and not rub as it mates with the barrel, this would indicate that the port is too high and not tight enough. If the bolt closure is too slack or too tight then you can move the barrel by slackening the 2 securing screws (one on older LG100's). Once you're happy with the feel and set up of the bolt you need to cock the rifle, close the bolt and place your thumb at the bottem where the breech meets the transfer port, pull the trigger and make sure you can't feel a blast of air. if you can then the port is too low and may require a shim. A blast of air from the top of the breech/bolt is expected as that is how the stabiliser works. Lots of info on the Sportswaffen site too mate.

Sounds a bit complicated , but it's not too bad and i could talk you through it on the phone if needed.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Thanks chris, was looking at the challenge with full length dovetail, but didn't like it after all on the ft version. If you sendme your email address al send a couple of pictures. Notsure ofthe port colour? Was doing 770 with 8.44

PM'd you mate.

Hi
    Interesting conversation here. I am considering the Challenge FT. Do you still need to take the air cylinder off to refill. TIA
    HFT500
    TX200