Thread: BSA Cadet Major types

BSA Cadet Major types

Just got in another couple of Cadet Majors for rebuild, now have 6 to do. The thing that surprised me is that one had a high quality factory type paint finish. Were some of the later ones produced like this ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Just got in another couple of Cadet Majors for rebuild, now have 6 to do. The thing that surprised me is that one had a high quality factory type paint finish. Were some of the later ones produced like this ?

Baz
    As far as l know they where all blued, but l am surprised that you have 6 in for repair as these are so well made.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Baz
    Perhaps BSA was trying out the baked-on enamel paint that was used on several Marks of BSA Meteor? It was very tough and certainly rust-proof in a way that blueing could never be, but as the Meteor is a boy's or beginner's rifle it often got scratched and it could never be repaired to look nice again.

As far as having several in for repair goes, they are incredibly tough little guns and can take lots of punishment, but they will need new springs and things fixing when people drop them etc ... they haven't been made for 50 years so they are doing pretty well by being around at all!

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    As far as l know they where all blued, but l am surprised that you have 6 in for repair as these are so well made.
    Micky they are very well made with solid machined parts but they usually have not been well cared for over the years. I have repaired about 40 so far, that is why I am surprised at the paint finish as I have never seen it before. List of problems on ones I have, rusty finish, tapped holes for stock fitting stripped, sights missing, piston seals damaged, piston nut split in half, stock split, breach seals worn flat. Of course the springs have collapsed in length, usually they are over 2 inches or more shorter than a new one. I put them over the chrony before repair to note improvement after rebuild, one was only doing 82 fps, had piston head separated from piston. That brings another question to mind, did they stop incorporating the filter in the transfer port at some stage ?

Baz

Micky they are very well made with solid machined parts but they usually have not been well cared for over the years. I have repaired about 40 so far, that is why I am surprised at the paint finish as I have never seen it before. List of problems on ones I have, rusty finish, tapped holes for stock fitting stripped, sights missing, piston seals damaged, piston nut split in half, stock split, breach seals worn flat. Of course the springs have collapsed in length, usually they are over 2 inches or more shorter than a new one. I put them over the chrony before repair to note improvement after rebuild, one was only doing 82 fps, had piston head separated from piston. That brings another question to mind, did they stop incorporating the filter in the transfer port at some stage ?
    Baz
    Oh I do love guns like that. Sounds like a present my daughter would find for me to keep me out of the way for a few days. Then the joy of that first shot when it performs to spec is unimaginable.
    Cheers, Phil

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky

Baz
    Hi Baz, the ones that l have had over the years. have all been in good working order. but some have been very well used and knocked about. sorry l can't help with the filter question.

The pic below shows the one that came in with an unusual paint finish which looks like blueing. Below it is the one with a heavy rusted chamber which will come up like new with cold blue. See the split piston nut..

Finished rebuilding and painting this afternoon.. now shooting well

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 26-11-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Update