Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBS Valuation skills needed please

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

BBS Valuation skills needed please

A good friend with no interest in shooting has been helping to clear the belongings of a late family member. A number of air gun items have been passed to me for selling and before I do so I really need help valuing them.

There are five lots:

1. HW77 with basic 3-9X40 scope in .177. I have checked this over the chrono with superdomes and is putting out 10.8 fpe. Woodwork is pretty good, bluing not bad (see pics for scratch on receiver and light pitting on barrel). However... there is serious damage (pictured) to the muzzle.
    I don’t know the age but the serial number is 1008318 so perhaps the desirable 25mm piston ? PICTURES

2. SMK Westlake break barrel in .177. Good condition overall chrono’d at 4.1 fpe. Fitted with cheap scope but image is clear. PICTURES

3. A box of bits which comes with a B.B. pistol, a CO2 Baikal pistol and a barrel cleaning set. PICTURES

4. Crossman 1377 pistol and shoulder stock .177. Nice condition and shoots well. S/N 290323720. PICTURES

5. Target holder and Gamo knockdown / reset target. PICTURES

I will be very glad of your help and advice folks. I’m not sure but you may need a Google account to view the pics.

ATB

Steve

Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Hw77

The HW77 is a MK1 and .177 shame about the damage looks like someone as done a bad job on trimming the full barrel down to karbine size!!!but nothing that can't be fixed. £190 I think. Hope that's some help? Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    The HW77 is a MK1 and .177 shame about the damage looks like someone as done a bad job on trimming the full barrel down to karbine size!!!but nothing that can't be fixed. £190 I think. Hope that's some help? Mach 1.5
    prompt starter ! Thanks
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

1. £120. That front end is ugly, there are still loads of good value old 77s around, and if that's what someone did go the muzzle, what else might they have done inside?

2. Twenty quid. Thirty on a very good day. Or just bin it.

3. If the Baikal MP-651K works, and noting there is an HW77 silencer in the package, £70-80. If it's broken, £40. Baikal spares are non-existent.

4. £50, pistol. £15, stock. £60 together.

5. Dunno, tenner?

PS. Not sure of the legality of selling on the "realistic" airsoft thing these days.
    Last edited by Geezer; 08-01-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    1. £120. That front end is ugly, there are still loads of good value old 77s around, and if that's what someone did go the muzzle, what else might they have done inside?

2. Twenty quid. Thirty on a very good day. Or just bin it.

3. If the Baikal MP-651K works, and noting there is an HW77 silencer in the package, £70-80. If it's broken, £40. Baikal spares are non-existent.

4. £50, pistol. £15, stock. £60 together.

5. Dunno, tenner?

PS. Not sure of the legality of selling on the "realistic" airsoft thing these days.
    Thanks Geezer ~ don’t recall seeing a 77 silencer, thought it was something to do with CO2 cartridges ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Beagle View Post
    Thanks Geezer ~ don’t recall seeing a 77 silencer, thought it was something to do with CO2 cartridges ?
    Cheers. The black metal thing on the far bottom right, by the CO2 cylinders in pic 3 is, if I am not mistaken, a slip-on suppressor for an HW77 that allows continued use of the front sight. I think they are about twenty-five quid or so new.

Thanks so far folks - keep opinions coming

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The 77 is one rifle I would probably dismantle and sell piece by piece on the Bay of E. That front end is a sales killer, no-one without a proper engineering shop would touch it. And they are the kind of peeps would would offer you £90 for the whole lot. Break it and sell the parts.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The 77 is one rifle I would probably dismantle and sell piece by piece on the Bay of E. That front end is a sales killer, no-one without a proper engineering shop would touch it. And they are the kind of peeps would would offer you £90 for the whole lot. Break it and sell the parts.
    agreed.. that's a tricky repair. Problem is removing the barrels for machining is a real PITA on 77s. It does also make you wonder about how well the gun has been looked after, as Geezer indicates...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you folks. Judging by the position of the foresight ramp do you really think the barrel has been shortened or was it perhaps damaged some other way?

Geezer is right that the black thing at the bottom right is a HW77 slip on silencer. It has been used on that particular 77. You can see the grub screw marks on the side of the front sight element of the 77. The owner may have even done the bodge job on the muzzle to shorten the barrel and make that silencer a better fit.

Sadly, I'd also agree that the best option on that rifle is to sell it in parts. The 25mm Compression tube and piston ( complete ), if not damaged, will go for about £50. The stock will get £30+ ( depending who's after a basic one ). The trigger will get £30+ ... maybe closer to £40. So those three items will fetch over £100. That £100 is probably all it's worth in it's current state with the muzzle like that.

If you don't want the hassle of stripping it and flogging it on Eb ay then you'll get a quick sale of £80 to £100 from someone who has the machinery, time, and desire to refurbish it.

I'm not sure you have to remove the barrel from the action to machine that. You should be able to jig it up in certain lathes/chucks and work on the fore end.

As my post above ... I'm certain that was a full sized 77 that someone has knocked off the front sight unit, shortened barrel, maybe fitted a 'K' underlever, then refitted front sight unit but made more of the barrel remaining forward of the front sight unit to strengthen the fit of the slide on silencer.

Venom would be shortening the barrel but fitting one of their own silencer/latch up units. This was a barrel/shortening/silencing home attempt in my opinion.

It was definitely a full length version at the start of it's life. If you look at the photo showing the sliding loading area ... the top of the barrel block is stamped 'HW77'. That's a full length 77. The shorter carbine versions came stamped as 'HW77K'. So this was a full length one that has had the barrel home shortened.

As someone said above, it's an easy fix for those that have the tools and the skills. People have been shortening barrels ( properly ) on these for a few decades. That front element may get more damage though if it takes some knocking off. It's probably just loctited/grubbed on so should come off easy with a tad of warmth. Most people won't want to refit that though as it's tatty ... so there's more expense buying/making a silencer/latch up. It's a project gun, as is, due to the front end and the pitting. Front end needs sorting and it needs a rub down and a re-blue. That will all take time and money so the person buying it to do up will only want to spend around £80-100 ( unless they have plenty of spare wad and just like doing these up ... I've been there ).

In my opinion if someone PM's you with £100 I'd take it.
    Last edited by bozzer; 09-01-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    I'm not sure you have to remove the barrel from the action to machine that. You should be able to jig it up in certain lathes/chucks and work on the fore end.
    Actually, you are right.. I was thinking with the shortened barrel that there wouldn't be enough protruding through the headstock to machine, hence needing to remove. But with a 4 jaw on the cylinder, and a large bore lathe (around 1.5"), sure, possible. Still a PITA though
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

The real interest here is clearly with the early HW77. On most matters HW I would defer to my friend Mach 1.5 and also bear in mind the warnings from my other friend Shed tuner who is highly skilled in all matters engineering and shooting related. Nevertheless the early HW77's are desirable so I'd go for offering it out between £150 and £200 and see how you go.
    The problem with all of these 'valuation' threads is that they attract three broad categories of reply: the first is the honest unbiased one as in fairness we have seen here. The problem with honesty being that the net sum of the advice is basically -suck it and see! The second is from existing owners seeking to promote their items. The third category involves potential buyers who seek to reduce expectations in the minds of potential sellers.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

I really appreciate all the advice folks..Best forum as always !