Thread: 10m air pistol - now tightly do you grip pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for all the comments and advice, I’m now applying a little bit more presssure with the middle two fingers with no side pressure. Beginning to see more consistency between cards and group staying centred... Most of the time

Taking another angle on this, I recently made two adjustments to my grip that have improved my consistency; tightened the palm shelf a little so that the grip has more of a hold on my hand than the other way around, and increased the rake of the grip to get my wrist into more of a 'locked' position.
    The weight of the pistol is shared between the top of the middle finger and bottom the wrist, I am continuing to train my thumb to stay out of the action and causing flyers!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

BigEars Guest
    I'm only aware of touching the grip with my middle finger and the palm shelf. My thumb lies beside the breech but plays no part. The pistol is balanced rather than held. I hope that helps.

I find I get fewer fliers due to mistriggering.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

How tight?

Having been around International shooting for more years than I want to remember (perhaps I can't remember now!) and I can assure you there is no right way, its what suits you!
    I have seen everything at top level from the Gorilla vice grip to the soft holding a very ripe peach grip, and they all work for the person using it.

Thumb pressure can (note only CAN) disturb the hold but not necessarily, if a top level shooter tells you what they think is best its because it works for them, another one will do the opposite, and tell you that's best, and they all will shoot similar scores!

For the record when I shot top level pistol (not now I'm afraid!), I with an air pistol, held firm ish with three fingers, (but no more than holding an egg), but with the thumb relaxed, but the hold was my preference, it does not mean its the best way of doing it, I'd attach a picture of a Korean Girl shooting in a World Cup if I could handle the techy stuff, I'll email it to a couple of you and perhaps you're clever enough to attach it. She has the Gorilla grip and thumb locked down, and its not doing her any harm!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

BigEars Guest
    I've seen the photo. It's not possible to judge the pressure of the fingers, only their position. Can't see any signs of white knuckles , Robin.

I’m now applying a small amount of (straight back) pressure with the middle two fingers, with thumb up, seems to be working.... so far

I found with a very lose grip, I was struggling with the trigger squeeze as it felt I was applying a lot of pressure (almost like taking up the slack in my grip) whereas applying a small amount of pressure as above makes the trigger squeeze easier.

I dont shoot 10 meter air pistol as often as I used to as the arthritis in my hands can make it a painful experience and it also gives me some problems when trying to judge the grip strength as some of the sensitive feed-back feeling is lost, but I did pick up a Steyr LP2 the other day just after I put my rifle down and shot an almost perfect card with it (49 ex 50) - but I was still wearing my rifle shooing jacket !

Maybe having arthritis in the pistol hand and wearing a heavy rifle shooting jacket is an especially good combination?

The rifle jacket is probably illegal in air pistol competitions .....but as far as I know the arthritis is still a legal option
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.