Thread: 10m air pistol - now tightly do you grip pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

10m air pistol - now tightly do you grip pistol

I’ve been struggling with consistency between cards and just tried using a much looser grip.

Early days but group size and location between cards was much more similar, also noticed far less ‘kick’ with a looser grip.

So would welcome thoughts on how tight to grip the pistol and ways to make sure grip remains same between cards.

I tend to use a fairly light grip on my Morini, A good fitting grip is key to consistency to ensure you pick it up the same each time, I spent a few quid and had a rink made then fitted it over a few weeks of shooting, not cheap or quick but it has made a noticeable different to both my groups and consistancy.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

None or very little thumb or little finger pressure, just the two middle fingers against the palm and pad of trigger finger on the trigger. Back when I used to compete in 22 Standard Pistol comps it was common to see shooters with the little finger almost completely off the grip and the tip of the thumb pointing up. Back in the day I only shot at county level but I used to train in the same club as two of the British squad so I picked up a lot of tips from them. Those guys could read a shot target and could point out where you were going wrong i.e. which finger pressure caused what on the target.
    Last edited by vbull; 01-12-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

interestingly I found it much easier to 'call the shot' with a relaxed grip. Off to the range tonight so will see how I get on.

thanks for comments

Indeed, 2 middle fingers are for the grip. The pinky and thumb can touch but dont do anything
    I use quite a loose grip too. I actually shot 360s ex 400 with my pinky nót touching the grip of my Tau 7; a real sin
    If you have one of those Free Pistols, your pistol kinda hangs into the grip; you barely have to grip it.
    I also noticed that grip preference may vary per pistol. Especially with springer pistols but can vary with match pistols too
    ATB,
    yana

There are basically two things to be aware of here:
    The grip itself
    The repeatability of holding it.

If you vary where the pressure is being applied, then you vary the natural point of impact. Think about this. Lots of little finger pressure has a lot of leverage on the bore line up and down. Thumb pressure can pust up and down or side to side. Etc etc.

When you shoot when you are hot and sweaty, or cold, or in the club on your own, or at the biggest match of your life with coaches and photographers everywhere, I'm willing to bet you dont grip with same consistency.

So....
    You want to adjust the woodwork so that when you squeeze you impart minimal change to the point of aim. So point down range, and try it. Think about what forces are applying where, where does the sight picture go if you ease off the tension slightly. Think what you need to learn, and what can be adjusted to minimise the effect.

Ok a little offf topic, but just saying there is no magic right and wrong answers. The sport is an art not a science.

In general, hold the gun only as tightly as you need to stop it moving when you vary trigger pressure. Remeber, you will be applying at least 500 grams of pull, on a tool which only weighs just over double that, so your grip strength needs to be sufficient to not allow that trigger pull to cause any movement.

Oft used measure is "as if you are shaking the hand of a child"

Discocom,

It all depends on how far you want to throw the pistol in frustration

I like to use a recoiling springer pistol to aid grip reproducibility - I use a 1948 Diana Model 5, as it is surprisingly accurate, and has a fair bit of recoil.

(A FWB65 with the recoil plate installed would be ideal.)

I grip the Mod. 5 with enough force that the triggering action does not disturb the aim - about the force you would grip a ripe peach in your palm. I also tend to exaggerate the follow through with the recoiling springer.

Oddly, my 10m scores have increased only moderately, but the fliers that afflicted me have now gone, and my scores are more stable.

The above is applicable to me, a distinctly poor pistol shooter, but I would be interested in what skilled pistol shooters do in this area

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ