Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just arrived Webley Mark II Target - US import

Just arrived Webley Mark II Target - US import

My Webley Mark II Target arrived and it’s as close to mint as you could hope. This is the first variation and a US import before Stoeger. Walnut grips are awesome looking and you really have to look hard to find any bluing imperfections. Just a kick to find a 1925 pistol is such great condition, a real time machine. Came with the box but it shows it’s age. Reinforced with masking tape, but at least it’s there. Curious what the “JJ” mean under the gun between the trigger and the grip? Curious also I see no caliber markings though, I’m sure it’s a .177.

https://imgur.com/gallery/0Sihu
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-11-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Very nice too. It just shows they are still out there just waiting to be found. At least the box label appears in better condition than my remaining example.
    My own Mk.11 Target, serial: 14154, doesn't have any caliber markings either, nor does it have any letters under the frame. I believe these could have been inspection letters, but JM will probably be able to better comment on this.
    I thought that as a 'Target' model the calibres would all be .177, as the examples I've had, and the one I still have, are all .177, but as Trevor has a .22 it appears I am mistaken.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 30-11-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional information

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Very nice - has it been re-blued?...that finish almost looks almost too good to be 92 years old.

MkII

Mine is 21753(299 after yours).It has the JJ and has no calibre on the .22 barrel. Neat,eh? Trev

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Very nice - has it been re-blued?...that finish almost looks almost too good to be 92 years old.
    I immediately wondered about that but I don’t think it has? Maybe experts here can chime in, I have a three day inspection period. It does seem too good to be true but that’s true of the whole gun. There is no real wear anywhere. The grips are like new, the linkages look unused? If used enough to need a reblue, I can’t imagine that there wouldn’t he some wear on those checkered wood grips? The points on the checkering sharp as day one? Any thoughts here to the contrary would be appreciated but I don’t think it’s going back just fits into my collection too well and price didn’t seem out of line.
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.

It looks beautiful and original to me from the pics - although almost too good!

The polish/sheen seems a tiny bit too high for such an old pistol. I suppose the box could have protected it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    That's what l thought, as there is what looks like a scratch above the Birmingham stamping which l would have thought it would show the bare metal but is blued?. also the lack of the white paint on the stampings. and all the screw heads have signs of being undone which makes me think that way. but a nice pistol just the same and rare as well being a Hoffman.

Webley mkii target

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    That's what l thought, as there is what looks like a scratch above the Birmingham stamping which l would have thought it would show the bare metal but is blued?. also the lack of the white paint on the stampings. and all the screw heads have signs of being undone which makes me think that way. but a nice pistol just the same and rare as well being a Hoffman.
    None of the usual Webley card board rash.

That's true Mick, the condition of the screws doesn't quite match the blued metalwork. It must have been in excellent condition before the refinishing though, judging by how sharp the stampings are.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Having just looked at enlarged versions of the photographs, it would appear there are scratches on both sides of the pistol that are not blued, and scratch marks of the right side of the pistol where it has lain either in the box or on some other surface.
    I also noticed some double stamping on the right side patent impressions, obviously done at the time of manufacture, which I haven't seen before.
    If it has been refinished, someone skilled has gone to a lot of trouble to exactly replicate the original finish.
    I suggest the right side grip is removed to examine the finish beneath, as there is some different colouration surrounding the grip, which could just be where the metal work has been polished.

Did the Mk 11 Target get white paint in the lettering from the factory? I thought that was a post war finish

Lovely pistol there Flint - keep it !

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It looks beautiful and original to me from the pics - although almost too good!

The polish/sheen seems a tiny bit too high for such an old pistol. I suppose the box could have protected it.
    I had just wiped it down with oil before the pics, which enhanced the shine. If refinish it was a superb job. I’ll take the grips off today and see what’s under them. Want to shoot it today as well and Chrony it. The breech seal seems to have been replaced as a leather one was in the old pellet box. Leather with a brass tube in it?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-11-2017 at 01:10 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Any thoughts here to the contrary would be appreciated but I don’t think it’s going back just fits into my collection too well and price didn’t seem out of line.
    Absolutely, it was just a question rather than any slur on originality...even if it has, it's certainly a quality job and a very nice objet d'art as well as a nice air pistol

Absolutely, it was just a question rather than any slur on originality...even if it has, it's certainly a quality job and a very nice objet d'art as well as a nice air pistol
    No slur lol, after I opened up the box I had a few minutes with the pistol and then went on a afternoon trip with my wife. All the time I was thinking this had to be reblued, just too nice, then I get home and continued to examine I thought it seems original? Part of collecting that adds to the fascination. The double stamping of the US patent was interesting as well?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-11-2017 at 01:47 PM.

There is no reason a pistol of this age in its box, left in a drawer, in dry atmospheric conditions, cannot retain a "as new" appearance. Rare, but no reason why not. Sure it needs to be questioned but there are plenty of examples of firearms never much used and in almost factory new condition.
    The UK is a bit damp, but other places in the world the dry conditions are ideal. Central heating and showers haven't helped much, so regular inspection and wax or oil required. Those ideal places then no upkeep required just put away spotless and left. We all know of examples where one side looks perfect but underneath the rots got in unnoticed. Some packaging doesn't help either. Fingermarks on swords from people playing is notorious for causing deep damage.

Anyhow, what a lovely example.