Thread: Is it safe to use a logun pump?

plinker Guest

Question Is it safe to use a logun pump?

I've got a aa410 as my first PCP rifle. I've also bought a second hand Logan pump. On the instruction booklet for the 410 it says only ever file with dry filtered air. Does this mean I will damage the gun if I fill it via pump?

If so can the air from the pump be cleaned and whats the best way to do this?

Gopud Guest

Is the air we breathe not clean and dry?

Very good point indeed Mr Plinker,
    However, I worked for many years in the Chemical industry and Air tools MUST be used with filtered lubricated air, of course this was both impractical at times and due to laziness never actually got used. What were the effects? Well after many years when the tools should have been transferred to the museum, they would start to seize and operation was hindered due to lack of lubrication and moisture being inside the pistons, at which point they were either stripped and cleaned or thrown away.
    Hmm, so whats my point? In an ideal world we would buy specially treated air for our beloved rifles, but in reality, the fresh air which a pump compresses will be fine, so long as you do not wish to fill your rifle in a sauna.
    Happy Hunting
    James
    RWS Excalibre .22
    AA S200 .22 > For sale
    BSA Mercury .22 > For sale
    Sheridan Prohunter .20 > For sale
    Rubber Band .25 > For sale

m1toman Guest

Thumbs up dry air

acording to B.A.R. it says all pumps are fitted with a water trap so i would assume it should be safe to charge your rifle with it

Not what you want to hear, but get a bottle...!
    Because a pump takes air directly from the atmosphere, it will pump any water vapour present into the gun, where it can cause rust. You should check the inside of the cylinder every year or so anyway, as rust can be very dangerous. The instructions with the pump may say, "open pump valve to release water from water trap." I was shocked at the amount of water that came out of mine. You may say "Good, at least the trap is working!" but I wonder how much is getting through. You can add an extra "DriPack" filter to the pump, but this puts the cost up to almost the same as a decent bottle.
    There is also the problem of dust or grit getting into the filler valve, and causing a leak, more likely with a pump.
    You won't do much harm short term, (I hope..!), so I'd keep using the pump, but save up fpr a bottle..!
    Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Don't logun produce a add-on moisture filter for their pumps, I'm sure ive seen one in my local shop, I know hills have one which I have and use, best to keep topping your gun up as its one hell of a work out if your pumping it up from empty.
    Maverick
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time.

chris ballard Guest
    Anyone who does any paint spraying will tell you just how much water is squeezed out of the air as it is compressed (makes a right mess if not removed), if you live anywhere near the sea...add salt.

All that gets pushed into your nice clean steel cylinder and causes pitting. Pits cause weak spots, weak spots give way and cause explosions....is that what we want ?..dont think so.

All our air tools used to have emulsifying thin oil in them (cengar green oil IIRC) to counter this. We lube our pellets in a PCP which will help with the barrel but not the cylinder.

Get a divers bottle if you can

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

There is absolutely no difference in filling your guns with either a handpump or from bottles - expect the work itself. Both systemes can give rusty cylinders if they are not cared for and treated the right way. Any folks that says that the air from bottles canīt give rusty cylinders or that dust can not enter the valve is talking b*******. Of course this can happen if you are unlucky and treating the charging gear + the pcp guns in a wrong way !

Also who CAN and WILL guarantee that everytime you are having your bottles filled with dry and clean air that THIS AIR really is clean and dry ? Remember also that a low moisture level is acceptable then filling bottles for diving but is this acceptable enough for pcp airgunners ? That low moisture level may over time lead to corrison inside the bottle itself and inside the gunīs cylinder too.

So both handpumps or bottles are equal good in the matter of moisture levels. Both systemes can have the same problems or maybe not. One thing is certainly sure in this matter that bottles are not the holy grail either compared to handpumps.

I was told (by a leading airgun retailer) that if any moisture did enter a pcp that it would be ejected out when the gun was fired.

The pumps ASAIK need to be bled after 100 or so pumps, and they need the silicone balls cleaning periodically.
    The best person to ask on here about handpumps is member Jonballs (wasn't meant to sound rude ).
    As far as air supplied from a dive centre is concerned as long as it is filtered through to your tank slowly (you leave your tank and come back later) there should not be any moisture getting in.

It is also best to not run an air tank dry but top it up. And it needs checking every couple of years (sent away for testing).

PS - I've been on here for a number of years now and this discussion goes on from time to time, and yet only once can I recall being shown the picture of the rust pitted inside of an air chamber of one of our members pcp.
    Last edited by AirgunStan; 15-09-2005 at 08:08 PM.
    Stan

Unless your Logun pump is from the Victorian era, it should already have a moisture filter fitted - it's the long(-ish) brass thing at the pump end of the high pressure hose. It may, or should, also have a particle trap at the other end of the H.P. hose. If your second-hand pump did not come with its original instructions, allow me to quote from my copy of same:-

"Continue pumping until the desired fill pressure is reached. Unscrew the Bleed Valve Screw with one swift movement. A rapid unscrewing will force the pressure to expel the water vapour that the moisture filter has collected. The Bleed Valve screw is situated underneath the Pressure Gauge. There will be an escape of air, this is perfectly normal and is simply the air venting from the pump body and the hose. By bleeding the system, pressure is lowered in the connectors making them safer to detach from the rifle."

Regards ... Geek

p.s. The pump instructions are probably available via the Logun web-site, or certainly if you give them a call.
    Last edited by Gungeek; 15-09-2005 at 08:23 PM.
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Finglesham-Phil Guest
    I have a pump it works fine I have spoken to the guys directly at AA there is no problem with the pump, but you may find it easier with a bottle, unless you like alittle excerise when out. But remember if using a pump keep every thing as clean as you can, ie the fittings and connections. It is easy to get the ends dragged around the floor.

i beg t differ

as a pump requires mechanical work therefore heat, heat creates steam which gives you water which will rust your cylinder you just need a water trap on your pump and that will do you fine as many will agree
    why come strait to the point when you can beat about the bush

But its a LOGUN, will it work properly?

Is there anybody on the BB who hasn't just bought a 410???

I think I need one of these the rate I'm going to go through pellets

You know where - Item number: 7546610325

TX200HC .22, AGS 3-9x40
    S410 Classic, Bushnell Banner 3-9x40

Quote Originally Posted by Finglesham-Phil
    I have a pump it works fine I have spoken to the guys directly at AA there is no problem with the pump, but you may find it easier with a bottle, unless you like alittle excerise when out. But remember if using a pump keep every thing as clean as you can, ie the fittings and connections. It is easy to get the ends dragged around the floor.
    AA S400 manual page 6... FILLING INSTRUCTIONS

"NOTE! Only use clean, filtered and dry compressed air, preferably from a dive shop."

The web site also recommends bottles, not pumps.
    I'm not saying don't use pumps, but bottle is best..!
    Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.