Thread: Maxam powders

Maxam powders

A number of my club members have been using these powders....shotgun flake powders...Csb5...about Red Dot burn rate...Psb2 about Unique burn rate....cost £40 to £45 a KILO. Has shot well for downloads in just about every calibre tried...meters well, burns clean. Maxam are Spanish and supply Eley with shotgun powder. I think they own Eley. I am not advertising, just giving the heads up to fellow shooters and clubs. Powder is now getting very expensive.

amc577

maxam powders

Curently I use 3.4g (grains) of Vectan AS behind a 158g lead bullet in my 357 Marlin but with the price increases on AS I've just looked at replacing it with Maxam CSB5 which as you say is quite a cheap powder.
    Below are the results of my chrono testing:

3.4g AS gives 875fps

3.0g CSB5 748fps
    3.2g 760fps
    3.4g 838fps
    3.6g 886fps

So 3.5/3.6g looks about right for me and confirms AS and CSB5 are not that different.
    It is denser than AS though. My powder measure is set to drop 3.4g of AS and without altering it it drops 4.2g CSB5. For comparison it drops 4.4g of Viht 320.
    The Maxam loads above worked OK in my Marlin but you'll need to check them out in your own gun to make sure they're OK for you.
    I believe CSB5 is also OK in downloaded 44mag but have no expereince of this.

Sounds like a good deal, hopefully someone will start stocking it up here.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Never heard of Maxam. Do they do any rifle powders?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

maxam powders

The maxam web site suggests they do mainly pistol/shotgun powders but there is data for the odd rifle calibre or two.
    It could be worth talking to John at Folkestone Engineering Supplies (contact details on the interwebnet thing).