Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think I want a pistol .... Again.

Think I want a pistol .... Again.

Thinking of a pistol again, it must be CO2, fun, reliable, multi shot, relatively accurate and probably BB. It's only for informal plinking, A decent shot count would be nice, so no blow backs, I'm thinking possibly a revolver. I confess I don't know a great deal about these type of pistols, so suggestions please chaps

Edit: It will be secondhand, as are all my guns and wanting something under £100.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post

Thinking of a pistol again, it must be CO2, fun, reliable, multi shot, relatively accurate and probably BB. It's only for informal plinking, A decent shot count would be nice, so no blow backs, I'm thinking possibly a revolver. I confess I don't know a great deal about these type of pistols, so suggestions please chaps

Edit: It will be secondhand, as are all my guns and wanting something under £100.
    If you can stretch to a little over your budget, I've got a lovely Dan Wesson 2.5" barrel Co2 BB revolver listed in the sales section with six extra cartridges and secure post included, if it interests you any?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post

I have a Smith and Wesson 586 revolver. 10 shot mags, super accurate and consistent. Also a real heavy weight quality replica. Worth a ganda if you can find one out there

If you're looking for fun don't overlook blowbacks. Many will get around 60+ shots per capsule and the trigger on a true semi auto like a kwc 1911 (swiss arms/witness etc) is far better than double action versions.
    An accurate, cheap revolver is the Crosman 357 or vigilante (same gun) which can be had for around £50 second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post

If you're looking for fun don't overlook blowbacks. Many will get around 60+ shots per capsule and the trigger on a true semi auto like a kwc 1911 (swiss arms/witness etc) is far better than double action versions.
    An accurate, cheap revolver is the Crosman 357 or vigilante (same gun) which can be had for around £50 second hand.
    In good condition? Really? Where? For if that is the case, I'd defo buy a couple -- one for each of my lads. Links to adverts selling these second hand for £50 please. Many thanks: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

They may be fun but I doubt co2 blowbacks are particularly reliable.

Build quality is reflected by price, although some are ridiculously expensive in the UK.

That said I will be buying the umarex glock as soon as it appears.

But mainly out of nostalgia
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I've had over 100 shots out of my Umarex non blowback Luger on a January day. The velocity is a little higher than some blowbacks too and these lovely little pistols can be found under £100.

Kind regards,

John

The best revolvers are the Umarex S&W or the Dan Wesson 715, the Webley mk v1 and the Umarex Peacemaker.
    All available as pellet firers as well but not under £100 even second hand.

The ugly little Umarex Tornado is under £60 new and is surprisingly good.

John is right about the Umarex Luger.
    As a co2 pistol it out performs the blowback versions which are waiting for warm weather.
    Last edited by gingernut; 02-12-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

The best revolvers are the Umarex S&W or the Dan Wesson 715, the Webley mk v1 and the Umarex Peacemaker.
    Given that we can include my 2.5" barrel Dan Wesson in under the 715 banner, I agree 100% with all as me learned colleague above has said -- especially the bottom line of the s/h price window which he has given

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    In good condition? Really? Where? For if that is the case, I'd defo buy a couple -- one for each of my lads. Links to adverts selling these second hand for £50 please. Many thanks: G.
    Shame Ive just sold a 357 crosman on here with 3 mags for £45 posted, they are around £80 new. I only sold it as I've just bought a berreta 92fs. The Gamo 85 blowback and crosman 357 would be my choice under a £100 new and pretty well made and reliable if used properly. Unless you are buying one secondhand off decent seller I would buy new as a lot of folk store them with capsule inside wrecking the seal.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post

Shame Ive just sold a 357 crosman on here with 3 mags for £45 posted, they are around £80 new. I only sold it as I've just bought a berreta 92fs. The Gamo 85 blowback and crosman 357 would be my choice under a £100 new and pretty well made and reliable if used properly. Unless you are buying one secondhand off decent seller I would buy new as a lot of folk store them with capsule inside wrecking the seal.
    Hello peddy, so sorry, my bad, as because the O-P was talking BB Co2 pistols, in a senior moment, my brain thought the initial mention of a 357 referred to the Umarex 357 cartridge pistol (a cheaper version of the Dan Wesson) ... I have no interest in the cheaper rotational magazine fed pistols, sorry for the confusion.

Thumbs up

Hi

I think paid £80 for THIS at the Melbourne vintage fayre, Have to say it's a great pistol/carbine!

I holds a heap of BB's and will shoot them at around 500fps as fast as you can operate the trigger! In the U.S. they're ful;l auto but we're not allowed full auto so there's ploates covering the switch for full/semi auto and the burst rate

The stock and extension simply pulls out to make it an out and out pistol

I'm not sure how common they are to find though

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

I think paid £80 for THIS at the Melbourne vintage fayre, Have to say it's a great pistol/carbine!

I holds a heap of BB's and will shoot them at around 500fps as fast as you can operate the trigger! In the U.S. they're ful;l auto but we're not allowed full auto so there's ploates covering the switch for full/semi auto and the burst rate

The stock and extension simply pulls out to make it an out and out pistol

I'm not sure how common they are to find though

John
    That's a bargain for a Drozd. Fun things.

The Crosman 357 (Python/Diamondback lookalike) is very plastic. But surprisingly reliable and accurate for a cheap thing. I prefer the Umarex 5/686, but they cost a lot more.

Also look at the old Gamo 77, PT80. And the Crosman 1008 and CB40. Good used bargains.

The Baikal MP651k is a very good pistol. Used recently to be about £80 new from SGC. My top choice for a cheap CO2 plinker.

I think you'd get more out of the above pellet-firers than some BB thing. Both can shoot into less than 1.5" at 10 yards with the right technique and ammunition.

In general, I'd say avoid the blowback BB guns as they are expensive for what they are, inaccurate, waste gas, and often malfunction or break. None of the airsoft-based revolvers (DW, "Webley" etc) that I have handled have impressed me with their long-term durability.

Others will have different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post

The ugly little Umarex Tornado is under £60 new and is surprisingly good.

John is right about the Umarex Luger.
    As a co2 pistol it out performs the blowback versions which are waiting for warm weather.
    Surely all non blowback pistols outperform blowbacks.

They generally run at about 100fps faster, which is an aid to accuracy.

A moving slide may be fun, but it is rarely as satisfying as good grouping on the target.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I didn’t put that very well.
    I meant that it’s a better performing co2 pistol but not as good a replica.

Depends what you are after and what you mean by performance.

If you are only interested in power and accuracy then ignore blowbacks.
    But if you want a fully functioning co2 replica blowback is part of the deal.

The Umarex Colt 1911 is a better co2 gun than a KWC 1911.
    But it is not true replica or as much fun to shoot.