Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm giving up on blowback BB pistols.

Why I'm giving up on blowback BB pistols.

I have the following blowback BB pistols and they all have one thing in common - none of them work anymore.

2 x Tanfoglio Witnesses - They jam. Lucky to get one shot off. Yes they have been stripped and cleaned - no bbs stuck in the usual places and I have bought new magazines.

2 x Mini Uzis - They Jam. Lucky to get one shot off - all the action taken as above.

1 x KWC PO8. It jams. Lucky to get one shot off. It did have a bb stuck in that damaged the plastic on removal so a new bit needed - impossible to obtain.

1 x KWC Broomhandle Mauser - the firing pin worked loose and comes right back after each shot so you have to manually push it back - I assume a retaining clip has broken.

1 x KWC Beretta 92A1. Went fully auto (and stayed so) for no reason that I can see. Great fun for the one magazine full it happened and the next to test but as it is illegal now partially stripped to avoid any comebacks.

All have been treated with the greatest mechanical respect and not subject to any abuse. None of them lasted more than 6 months and maybe a thousand bbs through each. I now have well over £1k worth of static models. The only bb blowbacks that still function are the P38 and PPKs - although that now needs resealing after 4 months.

I give up. I think the idea is great but the materials used are just not up to the job unless you fire maybe 10 shots a month!

Against this I have two old Crosman blowbacks - 600 and 451 which are still working after 40/50 years! I rest my case.

Sadly its a sign of the times. Its not just airguns that are suffering in quality, its everything. My boy is six years old and some of the toys people have bought for him are lucky to last a matter of weeks. We are stupid as a society accepting such crap but what can we do???

Oh and I forgot to mention the SIG 226 where the end of the slide broke off when firing so it blew back off the frame and bruised my cheek. Grrrrr.

Were they bought new?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Were they bought new?
    All bar the SIG.

The Witnesses were repaired twice and then replaced under warranty. Six months later (15 months after the original purchase) the problems began again.

One of the Uzis was also replaced under warranty.

The P08 has been repaired - now useless again.

The others were all out of warranty when the problems began.

Funny, I have no problems with my Witness or Uzi which I have had for years, the Witness was one of the first batch into the U.K. Perhaps it is that they have been used less than yours. I think it is a good idea not to buy blow back type as a lot of power and gas is used in just operating the slide mechanisms.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I'm not disagreeing about general build quality but you seem to have suffered very bad luck. What bb's do you use out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    I'm not disagreeing about general build quality but you seem to have suffered very bad luck. What bb's do you use out of interest?
    I've tried various brands although, when they were working, Umarex seemed to be the ones giving the least trouble.

I tend to use all of my guns a lot and am convinced that the blowback BB pistols are really not up to the job for any continued length of time.

Non blowbacks are fine as are all of my other CO2 pistols. As mentioned the old Crosman 600 and 451 are just fine as are the 2 Benjamins, Makarov and Webley MkV1. I have a 2240, 2250 and 2250XL as well as an SMK QB78 - no problems at all despite extensive use and I have yet to have a seal go (just a matter of time) or had any other problem.

The thing is I do LIKE the blowback action (when it works) am not worried about the amount of gas "wasted" in the action - the 451 manages about 20 shots! Whilst I will make do with having some nice static models I don't think I will be buying any more potential ones.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Paul.

One issue with the 1911 magazines is they appear to leak after not much use and an early symptom is the pistol firing on full auto and/or the slide not locking back after the last shot. There is an easy fix though. The problem often stems from a leaky valve and tightening the valve often resolves matters. On the 1911, the valve containing the CO2 piercing needle has a reverse thread and after a few CO2 cylinders have been 'allen keyed' tightly, the valve can become loose as you are tightening the CO2 in the same direction the valve unscrews. Try tightening the valve a little to see if this stops the leaking.

I've not experienced such issues on my KWC Luger but the mag' looks like it works on the same principle.

Maybe you want to sue SIG for the broken slide like the U.S. Police officer who dropped his pistol, which then shot him in the leg

John

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I've tried various brands although, when they were working, Umarex seemed to be the ones giving the least trouble.

I tend to use all of my guns a lot and am convinced that the blowback BB pistols are really not up to the job for any continued length of time.

Non blowbacks are fine as are all of my other CO2 pistols. As mentioned the old Crosman 600 and 451 are just fine as are the 2 Benjamins, Makarov and Webley MkV1. I have a 2240, 2250 and 2250XL as well as an SMK QB78 - no problems at all despite extensive use and I have yet to have a seal go (just a matter of time) or had any other problem.

The thing is I do LIKE the blowback action (when it works) am not worried about the amount of gas "wasted" in the action - the 451 manages about 20 shots! Whilst I will make do with having some nice static models I don't think I will be buying any more potential ones.
    I like the 600, 677 and 451, but none of them give a lot of power output as standard due to the lost energy. For good performance the Challenger Arms Plainsman and the Schimel are top of the collectable legal league. Some new non-blowback repeater pistols also produce some good fps.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Let's face it.

They are made from cheap materials.

The non blowbacks seem to last reasonably well.

But the blowbacks will inevitably become wall hangers. I believe it's all but impossible to get spares for them.

At US prices they are worth a punt, but not at stupid UK prices. Some of them here go for the thick end of two hundred quid, which is a complete ripoff.

If there is a real firearm model that you particularly like, buy it, put it on display and use it occasionally. That's what I intend to do with the Glock.

Don't waste your money buying more, unless you are a collector.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles Paul.

One issue with the 1911 magazines is they appear to leak after not much use and an early symptom is the pistol firing on full auto and/or the slide not locking back after the last shot. There is an easy fix though. The problem often stems from a leaky valve and tightening the valve often resolves matters. On the 1911, the valve containing the CO2 piercing needle has a reverse thread and after a few CO2 cylinders have been 'allen keyed' tightly, the valve can become loose as you are tightening the CO2 in the same direction the valve unscrews. Try tightening the valve a little to see if this stops the leaking.

I've not experienced such issues on my KWC Luger but the mag' looks like it works on the same principle.

Maybe you want to sue SIG for the broken slide like the U.S. Police officer who dropped his pistol, which then shot him in the leg

John
    Been there with the 1911s. I have stripped down the valves and rebuilt them. I have even bought a new mag. I know about the reverse threads but leaking is not the problem.

I am convinced the problems arise from pure wear. I lubricate sparingly all sliding surfaces but, ultimately it all becomes too loose and the pot metal is just is not up to the job, tolerances fail and it just gives up.

SIG - now THERE'S a thought -" I still cringe in fear every time I fire a pistol - the stress is all down to you". Nah! - enough people in the world with genuine claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I like the 600, 677 and 451, but none of them give a lot of power output as standard due to the lost energy. For good performance the Challenger Arms Plainsman and the Schimel are top of the collectable legal league. Some new non-blowback repeater pistols also produce some good fps.

Baz
    Interesting.

I LOVE the 600 and 451 that I have purely for the engineering excellence and fun factor.

TBH the power output and massive use of CO2 does not bother me as I have different pistols for different reasons. If I want power and accuracy then I will, as you suggest, go elsewhere. There is room in my collection for all sorts of fun!

I have an old Crosman Kimar 92 that I have refurbished, apart from the the hopeless co2 piercing mechanism that broke, it is superior to the Umarex Beretta 84fs blowback I also have.
    Everything seems just that bit more 'sturdy' and although it isn't blowback, it makes a nice bang and gives just the hint of a kick.
    The 84fs suffered a firing pin 'spire-nut' failure and shot the pin out of the back of the slide, luckily I was only pointing it at the floor at the time or it could have had my eye out!
    No spares of course and a useless response from Umarex. I was able to find the pin and an alternative spire-nut, so it works again, but as noted above, current build quality of the latest offerings does not seem worth the outlay.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I shouldnt say this but I have had no problems with the blowback pistols I have bought new.
    They tend to get light use which may be the answer.

I have had plenty of problems with second hand and collectable Co2 guns of all types

But older guns can be fixed if you are lucky enough to have frienda like Baz.

I think we have to accept that the new guns are disposable.

Factory testing for the 600 was unprecedented and guns were placed on rigs for hundreds of thousands of shots.

I think the Umarex Peacemakers were tested at 5000 shots and they are one of the best modern offerings, and no blowback.

I would guess a blowback pistol would fail at over 1000 shots?